TiddlyWiki and Cryptomator

Alex

Apr 12, 2018, 8:16:23 AM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

I was exploring various ways of automatically saving TW file with WebDAV.  And my thoughts turned to Cryptomator (www.cryptomator.org).

Basically, this is an app which creates a vault - an encrypted file system (sort of), and provides access to it via WebDAV. Normally, on windows, the WebDAV interface gets mapped to a windows drive right away, and then it is possible to have file-system like access to your files. My idea was, that if I

1. put my TW html file into cryptomator vault,
2. then obtain direct webdav link to that file,
3. I should be able to open it in browser and then edits should be automatically saved.

Unfortunately, I ran into problems with step 3. When I enter the link (it looks like http://192.168.0.1:port/path/file.html) into browser, it does not open the file but offers to save it instead. Do you know if there is any way of resolving such issue?

Kind regards,

Alex

Mark S.

Apr 12, 2018, 7:34:23 PM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Were you even able to browse your directory with that address? I wasn't, and all the sources I looked at said that you couldn't save to webdav sites via your browser -- only via special client software. Previously there were webdav extensions for FF (and maybe Chrome) but they seem to have disappeared along with all the other XPI extensions in the recent upgrades.

-- Mark

TonyM

Apr 12, 2018, 7:59:26 PM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Alex,

I assume when it offers to save the file you can, over the existing one?

I have had WebDav Running on my Windows 10 recently and it worked well, but without any cryptomator.

When using a browser I can save files anywhere but to have something automatically save, since it could be malware the modern browsers insist it be in or under the downloads folder. If you look closely at some of the saver options you will see this.

Regardless of the your use of WebDav if you are referencing the tiddlywiki as a windows drive are you really using Webdav?

To access a tiddlywiki as WebDav served surely the tiddlywiki is at a IP address not a file?.

It seems for the solution you are talking about the webdav server needs to access the the encrypted filesystem on tiddlywiki's behalf. It is between these that the problem should lie.

Just some thoughts
Tony

Mark S.

Apr 12, 2018, 8:47:01 PM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
The original dream of Webdav was that you could have a website that you could both browse and upload to. That dream has been abandoned apparently, and now you can only upload using a WebDav client. If you're able to save (not just download) via your webdav server I'd be interested to learn about it. The TiddlyWiki.com web site offers webdav as an alternative save mechanism, but it appears to me this info is dated. Actually, there's not much detail in the documentation tiddler.

Cryptomator creates a Webdav server and then maps it to a (letter) network drive. You can copy the Webdav server address, but at least on my system it does not bring up anything in the browser window. You can save your TiddlyWiki to the networked (letter) drive, but it will behave exactly like it does when you try to save somewhere other than the download directory.

-- Mark

TonyM

Apr 12, 2018, 11:31:17 PM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Alex,

I think you are using webDave to effectively mount an encrypted drive, ie webdav is providing a services and has nothing to do with TiddlyWiki. If you want to save files on any drive then you should be able to use any file save mechanisium or  host to publish your wiki that saves updates on your behalf (if such solution can use the mounted drive).

Hosting Tiddlywiki with webdav is documneted here through marios great videos

Search for the other videos in the series.

Note WebDav demands login not anonymous if you want to write.

Regards
Tony

Arlen Beiler

Apr 13, 2018, 11:40:09 AM4/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
I use Cryptomater with TiddlyServer. I just mount the drive letter in the settings tree then whenever I unlock the vault it automatically allows access to the drive. When you lock the vault the drive is removed and TiddlyServer returns a 404. TiddlyServer does all checking during each page load, so it does not matter if mount points appear and disappear. This, of course, assumes that the drive letter is always the same.