WaterFox + TiddlyFox = OK?

Ed

Jan 19, 2018, 7:55:52 AM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Dear All,

I use a.o. Waterfox + TiddlyFox on my 64bit computer at work.
Great!
Any reasons why I should NOT use this combination?
Any other pitfalls to be reckoned with?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers Ed.

PMario

Jan 19, 2018, 9:52:29 AM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 1:55:52 PM UTC+1, Ed wrote:
I use a.o. Waterfox + TiddlyFox on my 64bit computer at work.

I didn't test Waterfox.

So I guess: As long as Waterfox isn't based on FF 57+ you should be good.

-m

TonyM

Jan 21, 2018, 2:54:01 AM1/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
I agree with Mario it should be fine for a while, but I recommend exploring the other options like TiddlyDesktop and TiddlyServer as more complete solutions or the other saver options if you want to send others editable TWs.

It is always wise to look ahead a little.

Tony

Ed

Jan 21, 2018, 4:58:00 AM1/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the encouragement!

I do keep all options open and check regularly here to see if there are developments.
In practice I use at the moment Pale Moon, and especially TiddlyDesktop. Just
recently I stumbled upon WaterFox, so I want to try out that solution.

Looking into the more complicated solutions, but in the mean time my work must
continue, so therefore at the moment TiddlyDesktop ranks first.

Many thanks again for your interest in my simple questions
Пока, Edm.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 21, 2018, 7:13:28 AM1/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
The issue with both Pale Moon & Waterfox is simple.

Will they, at some point, comply with their father's development ... i.e. follow Firefox into its rejecting the direct file-save route, OR will they truly break from it.

In six months this issue should begin to clarify.

FWIW, you have TIME to use them still and wait. Their ADVANTAGE, like FirefoX ESR, is you can SAFELY WAIT till the Mist Of Futures Clears.

In my case I continue on Firefox ESR as I really don't want the hassle of rebuilding an environment till I have to. Meanwhile some solutions to the Firefox Apocalypse are emerging that could make my final decisions easier.

Best wishes
Josiah

Birthe C

Jan 21, 2018, 2:04:14 PM1/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Will access to certain websites be restricted for browsers that does not?

Birthe

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 22, 2018, 2:11:00 PM1/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Birthe

I don't think so. Not shorter term. I don't think its an issue.

J.

Mark S.

Jan 22, 2018, 5:01:55 PM1/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
If you're sticking with an older browser, then you should probably be downloading extensions left and right while you can still get them!

One (or more) of the extensions that you could get for Firefox was one to change the browser identification string presented to web sites.  Possibly search for "user-agent".

-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 22, 2018, 5:07:40 PM1/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Brilliant pointer for sophisticated longer survival  ...

Mark S...  One (or more) of the extensions that you could get for Firefox was one to change the browser identification string presented to web sites.