Fwd: Kindly help to start

Norbert Klein

May 25, 2019, 11:30:53 PM5/25/19
to Abridged recipients

My name is Norbert KLEIN, I am living in Cambodia, and having weak Internet
connection. I am 85 years old (but still somewhat alive ;-)

Using Ubuntu 18.04.1 (and always Linux since several years).

I read about TiddlyWiki, subscribed to the GoogleGroup - but I still
cannot get started.

I follow what I understand is the instruction, to start an empty TW
file, and I set Firefox as the program to store files - but my computer
stops there.

I would very much appreciate if there would be somebody on the list to
provide me one-to-one guidance to help me get started.

Thank you very much.

Norbert KLEIN

nhk...@gmx.net

TonyM

May 26, 2019, 12:07:31 AM5/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Norbert,

Welcome, any age is a good age to start using tiddlywiki.

Have you spent time exploring https://tiddlywik.com there is a lot of help there.

Quick start
  • If you hit the "Download empty" button here you can get you own copy right way.
  • Then open it in you browser and play. By default you will have to download it again and save over your last download.
  • Have your own empty.html (you can rename this) and keep tiddlywiki.com open in another window for reference.
If your internet connection is OK you may want to try an online edition https://noteself.github.io/ and the way tiddlywiki works this should still perform well.
  • Online, directly from your browser.
  • Or you can download a personal copy and run it from your hard drive.
On Going
  • Once you discover how good tiddlywiki is you will want to establish a better saving mechanism, so you do not need to download to save so often, so that is autosaves for you
  • Return to the page https://tiddlywiki.com/#GettingStarted and click on your prefered browser or Platform in the grey pills
  • Personally I prefer FireFox and Timimi as a quick solution and apparently it works on Linux.
  • What ever you choose once you have it working it should be "set and forget" and you can start making all the tiddlywikis you want.

Anyway return here and post if you find any difficulty on your journey. Have a go, and see where you have an issue and return here with a little more detail and we will be able to help you better than trying to write a document for all possible circumstances. Of course google with "tiddlywiki" can find all kinds of things as will searching on tiddlywiki.com (or you copy).

Regards
Tony

h0p3

May 26, 2019, 2:41:46 AM5/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Norbert,

I've fired up an Ubuntu VM with you. I think the easiest way to use TW on Linux will be through the nodejs server. You can find instructions here: https://tiddlywiki.com/static/Installing%2520TiddlyWiki%2520on%2520Node.js.html

Here's a quick and dirty way to do it in your terminal:

sudo apt install nodejs npm -y
sudo npm install
-g tiddlywiki
mkdir wiki
tiddlywiki wiki
--init server
tiddlywiki wiki
--listen &

Head to 127.0.0.1:8080 in your browser (you can make lots of bookmarks into your wiki).

Run it at startup with crontab or Ubuntu's startup applications wizard (make sure to change USERNAME in the path):

@reboot /usr/local/bin/tiddlywiki /home/USERNAME/wiki --server

I strongly urge you to automatically and constantly backup your tiddlywiki files.

Handoko Suwono

May 26, 2019, 7:19:25 PM5/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Norbert,

I believe we met.

Please check your firefox version because later version do not support tiddlyfox plugin. The plugin is used for saving your Tiddlywiki.

After downloading empty.html - you can rename it and open with any browser, not only with firefox. Try chrome for instance. Once it pops up, find the "+" sign to start with a new tiddler.

I made a tutorial while in Cambodia a long time ago using the classic TW. Hope it still can be looked upon since most are relevant. Let me know if you still have problems.

handoko -
Surabaya, Indonesia

Handoko Suwono

May 26, 2019, 7:24:36 PM5/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Forgot to put the link, it is http://datacom.co.id/tiddly_tutor.html

You may connect me directly to my email.

handoko -

Stefan Pfister

May 31, 2019, 5:10:58 AM5/31/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
For me under Linux. The easiest way for a stable saving TW is still tiddly-desktop. Using this tool might be easier rhen the other stuff. Just my two cents.