TiddlyTouch/MuuriTouch

BurningTreeC

Jan 10, 2018, 10:24:41 AM1/10/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello tiddlers,

I'm starting this new thread to make a summary about what this is, where it is and what I'm planning
As far as time allows I will keep this first post updated with the latest changes

The name: TiddlyTouch / MuuriTouch / tiddly muuri tiddlywiki plugin. I don't have a preference about the name
It's meant to provide a responsive, pleasant, multitouchable layout for many different use-cases, many of them still to explore
The current state: v0.0.14 alpha alpha alpha, no guarantees that it works without errors - it doesn't
The developer: my name is Simon Huber and I'm from the italian alps, currently living in Innsbruck, Austria. I'm trilingual - german italian english no problem
The why: I'm creating TiddlyTouch for my personal use. I'm actually a student of human medicine with previous experiences in electrical engineering and CAD/CAM technology. For me, tiddlywiki solves my notetaking and knowledgebase problem better than anything else I tried. With TiddlyTouch I'm trying to create an Interface I like that allows me to take notes and create overviews, presentations, summaries and more the way I want in a modern kind of notebook that's also capable of handling all sorts of media and handling operations which replace various other desktop tools I used before. I decided to share the process of putting this package together with this community when I realized how easily muuri can be integrated and how much it adds to my TiddlyWiki experience.

This plugin runs on single-file wikis, on nodejs (w/wo tiddlyserver) and as far as I tested, on TiddlyDesktop 0.0.10 and 0.0.11, too

There are 2 different pages about TiddlyTouch:

What I'm currently working on:

  • the muuri code to work better with tiddlers and normal elements alike
  • ideas for link-dragging which causes errors when dragging links with touch (draginit, touchstart, maybe just e.preventDefault somewhere inside dragndrop.js, draggable.js I don't know)
  • a spreadsheet view implementig Evan Balster's great formulas plugin to see on the demo page
  • ideas for different views that make sense in this context
  • tests with more grids than one, exchanging elements between them they're coming with v0.0.15
  • "3d" css experiments on the demo page I think that's interesting but too much, doesn't add anything useful
  • I'm looking for good implementations from the tiddlywiki community that are good for a separate grid-view, like the formula plugin

Don't hesitate to ask questions, to criticize, to provide suggestions, to point out errors, to post ideas, to suggest changes or just to comment

all the best and tanti saluti,
BurningTreeC

Wei-Ting Lin

Jan 10, 2018, 5:40:46 PM1/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
I am trying to study the muuri plugin from https://ustuehler.github.io/tw5-plugin/

After installation, I switched the storyview to "muuri" and tried to add an tiddler, but I got an error:

Internal JavaScript Error

Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser
TypeError: grid.add is not a function

Did anyone has similar problems?

Wei-Ting

BurningTreeC於 2018年1月10日星期三 UTC-6上午9時24分41秒寫道:
Hello tiddlers,

I'm starting this new thread to make a summary about what this is, where it is and what I'm planning
As far as time allows I will keep this first post updated with the latest changes

The name: TiddlyTouch / MuuriTouch / tiddly muuri tiddlywiki plugin. I don't have a preference about the name
It's meant to provide a responsive, pleasant, multitouchable layout for many different use-cases, many of them still to explore
The current state: v0.0.14 alpha alpha alpha, no guarantees that it works without errors - it doesn't
The developer: my name is Simon Huber and I'm from the italian alps, currently living in Innsbruck, Austria. I'm trilingual - german italian english no problem

TiddlyTouch wants to show what TiddlyWiki is capable to do and provide a little bit of "glue" for all the tools tiddlywiki offers - to bring them in front (and to have some shiny bling)

This plugin runs on single-file wikis, on nodejs (w/wo tiddlyserver) and as far as I tested, on TiddlyDesktop 0.0.10 and 0.0.11, too

There are 2 different pages about TiddlyTouch:
best wishes,
Simon

BurningTreeC

Jan 11, 2018, 1:32:10 AM1/11/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wei-Ting,

Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018 23:40:46 UTC+1 schrieb Wei-Ting Lin:
I am trying to study the muuri plugin from https://ustuehler.github.io/tw5-plugin/

After installation, I switched the storyview to "muuri" and tried to add an tiddler, but I got an error:

Internal JavaScript Error

Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser
TypeError: grid.add is not a function

Did anyone has similar problems?

hands up! you're starting like I started ;)

so ... first you need the <$muuri> <$list filter="[list[$:/StoryList]]".../></$muuri> in your story pagetemplate and the modified tiddler viewtemplate. then switching to muuri storyview should work
the css is also needed

BurningTreeC

Jan 11, 2018, 3:59:51 AM1/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
@all,

updated the first post

all the best,
BurningTreeC

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 11, 2018, 2:34:00 PM1/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Allora, @BurningTreeC

I may be in love with you? It could be your bling.

Moving on ... great stuff. Love the flex in what you doing. The little gizmos you add (color palette, auto-gallery, transparency, hider, build macros etc) are brilliant in this context.

Towards an interface that on click re-builds the interface.

Very TiddlyWiki, but easier.

A BRIDGE towards nowish for end-users like me.

Given this is still in Alpha its amazing what it can do.

I have some substantive issues, not just praise. Those I will post next, bit by bit.

Best wishes
Josiah

BurningTreeC

Jan 12, 2018, 3:21:35 AM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
@TiddlyTweeter

Am Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2018 20:34:00 UTC+1 schrieb @TiddlyTweeter:
Allora, @BurningTreeC

I may be in love with you? It could be your bling.

don't get tiddly

Moving on ... great stuff. Love the flex in what you doing. The little gizmos you add (color palette, auto-gallery, transparency, hider, build macros etc) are brilliant in this context.

thanks, this stuff is needed for how I imagine my workflow with this

Towards an interface that on click re-builds the interface.

Very TiddlyWiki, but easier.

A BRIDGE towards nowish for end-users like me.

what's nowish?

Given this is still in Alpha its amazing what it can do.

I have some substantive issues, not just praise. Those I will post next, bit by bit.

 finally

Best wishes
Josiah

thanks Josiah, let your issues flow :D

all the best,
BurningTreeC

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 11:41:18 AM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
BurningTreeC asked:

what's nowish?

Sophisticated grid layouts out on the web. They have entered the visual vocabulary of most every real user. Gridded snippets are proving to be one of the best information presentation systems suited to web life. They finally break the idea of "the book" (pages) as the super-metaphor that's driven web content development for too long.

The Fragment is very suited to TidlyWiki and Grid Layouts are a great fit at multiple levels IMO.

Next to some issues.

Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 12:42:46 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
TIDDLY TOUCH-BASE - THE RIGHT?

Q: Am I limited to 12 columns? Is that hard code?

The liberation of the RIGHTwards layout is one thing that got me interested. I'd like to be able to go on forever right.

A Use Case would be Storyboarding a movie. Going Right conveys time much better than going down does.

In actual Storyboarding you tend to group "horizontal runs" by "Acts". An Act on a physical corkboard is usually about 25 images per line/act. Most movies have 3 main acts. The second act is normally double length so you split it in two on a storyboard.

In other words: you normally have a grid of 25 columns and 4 rows to depict a whole movie.  100 scenarios split over 4 rows.

I DO see there is a design thing in TT between relating to a FIXED-VIEWPORT or an infinite VIRTUAL-SPACE. In the first case one can set widths relative to the viewport size. In the second case they need some kind of fixed setting (likely px or rem).

IF this issue is "out-of-scope" let me know. Even at 12 columns TiddlyTouch is great.

I'm simply wondering if I could go right further?

J, x

coda coder

Jan 12, 2018, 1:12:20 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
I suspect you want fixed height tiddlers that transclude their content (let's call these fixed height tiddler "containers").  The containers display their content using CSS columns:

.someclass {
  columns
:3; -moz-columns:3; -webkit-columns:3;
  column
-gap:2em; -moz-column-gap:2em; -webkit-column-gap:2em;
  column
-rule: 2px dotted #ddd; -moz-column-rule: 2px dotted #ddd; -webkit-column-rule: 2px dotted #ddd;
  column
-fill:auto; -moz-column-fill:auto; -webkit-column-fill:auto;
}

>>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/columns

I use this a lot for exactly the reason you describe: time is better represented horizontally.  My content transcluded into the container can be huge (chapter of a book, for example).

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 1:13:49 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
DYNAMIC REDUCTIVE FILTERS?

One of the neat things that muuri js enables is dynamic filtering (https://haltu.github.io/muuri/). Whilst TiddlyWiki is good on reductive filtering in the sidebar search I can't say I've seen a live reductive filter for open Tiddlers like muuri does yet.

Sticking with TT. Imagine you opened, via an AUTO-POPULATE, 200 Tiddlers with tag "MyStuff". But then you need to reduce what is visible to the 5 that are also tagged "Rabbit".

Q: Could that be done?

My thinking is that as we increase ease of display of fragments we need also need to provide ways to then filter them to what is needed.

The POINT is that once you have many fragments shown people look and figure out more easily what they need hone in on. Arbitrary filtering could do it for them.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 1:32:18 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
THE BEAUTY OF DESKTOPS

This gridded approach is as useful for desktops as smaller touch devices. Though in a different way.

On a desktop drag-n-drop really comes into its own because you have a BIG CANVAS to play with. It is superb for re-organising emergent ideas/fragments.

ONE issue is how to set the WIDTH of a TT Tiddler on a Desktop. If anything its MOST pertinent on Desktops where overall width is not an issue.

Q: Rather than have to manually edit to add a "span" field could TT individual tiddlers have a toggle option (similar to the sidebar icon) to dynamically change the width of a tiddler?

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 1:41:40 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you coda coder!

That is very helpful.

I'm just wanting also push Simon a little on this because the interface he's working on is very flexible. And I just wanna check whether muuri does have a rightward limit or not.

J, x

coda coder wrote:
I suspect you want fixed height tiddlers that transclude their content (let's call these fixed height tiddler "containers").  The containers display their content using CSS columns:

.someclass {
  columns:3; -moz-columns:3; -webkit-columns:3;
  column-gap:2em; -moz-column-gap:2em; -webkit-column-gap:2em;
  column-rule: 2px dotted #ddd; -moz-column-rule: 2px dotted #ddd; -webkit-column-rule: 2px dotted #ddd;
  column-fill:auto; -moz-column-fill:auto; -webkit-column-fill:auto;
}

coda coder

Jan 12, 2018, 1:54:40 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 12:41:40 PM UTC-6, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I'm just wanting also push Simon a little on this because the interface he's working on is very flexible. And I just wanna check whether muuri does have a rightward limit or not.

Yeah, I got that.  But you hit the nail so squarely on the head, I had to share...

In trying to solve that particular issue, I looked at grids, flex etc., but settled on columns as the least invasive (not the best word) and the simplest solution to the problem.

Perhaps Simon may want to do some trials to see if a container tiddler with columns might help.

Why a container tiddler? Avoids having to deal with the Storyriver and trampling on its view of the world.

Anyway, as you were ;)

BurningTreeC

Jan 12, 2018, 1:57:13 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
@TiddlyTweeter, very interesting questions
let me try to answer

Am Freitag, 12. Januar 2018 18:42:46 UTC+1 schrieb @TiddlyTweeter:
TIDDLY TOUCH-BASE - THE RIGHT?

Q: Am I limited to 12 columns? Is that hard code?

No it's not. you can define more width steps. look at the demo page, switch to tiddly-view and there to spreadsheet view and see

it's easy to do and not much work

The liberation of the RIGHTwards layout is one thing that got me interested. I'd like to be able to go on forever right.

do you mean the horizontal view? there you can go on as long as you want, try it - I think the first limiting factor is your computers memory

A Use Case would be Storyboarding a movie. Going Right conveys time much better than going down does.

In actual Storyboarding you tend to group "horizontal runs" by "Acts". An Act on a physical corkboard is usually about 25 images per line/act. Most movies have 3 main acts. The second act is normally double length so you split it in two on a storyboard.

In other words: you normally have a grid of 25 columns and 4 rows to depict a whole movie.  100 scenarios split over 4 rows.

I DO see there is a design thing in TT between relating to a FIXED-VIEWPORT or an infinite VIRTUAL-SPACE. In the first case one can set widths relative to the viewport size. In the second case they need some kind of fixed setting (likely px or rem).

IF this issue is "out-of-scope" let me know. Even at 12 columns TiddlyTouch is great.

For all those things you mentioned here I was thinking about having an interface to configure them... there's a lot the user can configure

I'm simply wondering if I could go right further?

yes

J, x

BurningTreeC

Jan 12, 2018, 2:08:47 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
DYNAMIC REDUCTIVE FILTERS?

One of the neat things that muuri js enables is dynamic filtering (https://haltu.github.io/muuri/). Whilst TiddlyWiki is good on reductive filtering in the sidebar search I can't say I've seen a live reductive filter for open Tiddlers like muuri does yet.

I've seen that and I'm planning with this search functionality, but I'd like to discuss what should be used as filter expression - easiest thing would be the tiddler title ... I have to think about this

Sticking with TT. Imagine you opened, via an AUTO-POPULATE, 200 Tiddlers with tag "MyStuff". But then you need to reduce what is visible to the 5 that are also tagged "Rabbit".

Q: Could that be done?

yep! could be done

BurningTreeC

Jan 12, 2018, 2:11:32 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
I was thinking a keyboard key + mousescroll on tiddler could do it. There are other things that come before that and that would leave time for discussion about the right combo

hope this helps,

Simon

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 2:22:51 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
THE SWITCHING EYE

The test Tiddler you give, with the two eyes that (A) removes cruft reversibly and (B) removes cruft irreversibly, is exactly right to demonstrate, on ONE click, the beauty of minimalist design.

There are TWO things going on. 1 - the griddy thing. 2 - an appreciation of "let's get on with it". This thing is only in Alpha but already I can see that with a few clicks I can MAKE a site. IMO you got something really correct for the user who wants to get on and PUBLISH.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 2:28:05 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Simon

Any approach that works in a simple way is fine as far as I'm concerned. A dopo.

J, x

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 2:36:30 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
STICKY TIDDLER?

Q: Is it possible to force a Tiddler to always stay where it is?

The use case I'm thinking of is I've written, say, a Tiddler that is an intro to the rest that I want ALWAYS at POSITION ONE so new users would always see it first in the flow.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 2:38:24 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you.

That is very good news. I will go play with that.

Josiah

BurningTreeC

Jan 12, 2018, 2:49:29 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
STICKY TIDDLER?

Q: Is it possible to force a Tiddler to always stay where it is?

The use case I'm thinking of is I've written, say, a Tiddler that is an intro to the rest that I want ALWAYS at POSITION ONE so new users would always see it first in the flow.

sticky tiddlers will be there sooner or later because I really want that feature

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 12, 2018, 3:26:42 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
SAVE THE GRIDS?

Like saving a story river. But in Grid Mode.

Use cases: I imagine one grid for substantive WORK, and another grid that is, say, concerned with CONFIGURATION. I think the point is that we might be able to do most everything via gridded layouts.

Best wishes
Josiah

TonyM

Jan 12, 2018, 8:02:19 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Just a little remainder, to keep this wonderful tool generic against tiddlywiki design.

I can choose many ways to get what I want open in the story view, including a button that open list of tiddlers via tags and filters. There is no reason why Muuris tiles should not follow the same method, and why I shopuld not be able to switch between them. Even the kanban solutions could be used to organise tiles in lists that are then displayed as tiles.

We need to keep going back to the general capabilities of TiddlyWiki because this is where we gain extensibility in the future.

Regards
Tony

BurningTreeC

Jan 12, 2018, 11:57:59 PM1/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Saving grids is just a button that saves the storylist in another field or tiddler
I like the tiddly way of being able to open everything wherever,whenever (shakira shakira)

I don't really want to limit a view to special use-cases, everything should be doable everywhere,
I just want to provide flexibility in viewing and workflows

Simon

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 3:10:59 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
hello everyone,
@TiddlyTweeter was talking about this filter function for the muuri grid, and I'd like to ask what you think it should use as content for filtering in TiddlyTouch

best wishes,
BurningTreeC

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 6:47:09 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
@all,

there's also a test going on on the demo site http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

what do you think about this?
could this be useful, how could this be used?

cheers,
BurningTreeC

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 14, 2018, 8:33:02 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao BurningTreeC & TonyM

Right. Its on one hand just saving a story river. Fully compatible with what is.

HOWEVER, isn't it also for grids about also saving a LOOK?

Since gridded layouts really liberate design on layout, colours, spacing etc?

I guess I wasn't clear about what I meant. Which I think is actually, on reflection. TWO things ...

1 - Story River

2 - Visuality of layout.

Say, for instance, through a gridded layout I emulate TalkyTalky

Could I save the LAYOUT STYLE as well as the sequence?

Just thoughts ...

Best wishes
Josiah

BurningTreeC wrote:
Saving grids is just a button that saves the storylist in another field or tiddler
I like the tiddly way of being able to open everything wherever,whenever (shakira shakira)

I don't really want to limit a view to special use-cases, everything should be doable everywhere,
I just want to provide flexibility in viewing and workflows

TonyM commented:

Just a little remainder, to keep this wonderful tool generic against tiddlywiki design.

@TiddlyTweeter

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 14, 2018, 9:05:18 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
SEAMLESS GRID

As I play more with TiddlyTouch lots of ideas come.

The flex on it is SO good.

For instance, with...

1 - CSS that eliminated all space between Tiddlers

2 - setting of 1 for "toggle columns"

3 - "align Tiddlers vertically"

You'd have TalkyTalky without needing to add it--apart from the downwards navigation button.

Best wishes
Josiah

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 9:32:09 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki

Ciao BurningTreeC & TonyM

Right. Its on one hand just saving a story river. Fully compatible with what is.

HOWEVER, isn't it also for grids about also saving a LOOK?

Since gridded layouts really liberate design on layout, colours, spacing etc?

I guess I wasn't clear about what I meant. Which I think is actually, on reflection. TWO things ...

1 - Story River

2 - Visuality of layout.

Say, for instance, through a gridded layout I emulate TalkyTalky

Could I save the LAYOUT STYLE as well as the sequence?

yes, you could ... for what's already doable with tiddlywiki, and that's a lot.
the tiddler widths you apply by pinch-zoom are only temporary, they wouldn't get saved at the moment, but if you apply widths with tags or the span field that's solved, too.
one could also just make a span-field toggle-button or whatever.
(I kinda like the pinch-zoom how it is btw (on desktop with touch) without saving the width)

so... yes, if one wants to save the storyriver with the states of the bars, titles hidden, and whatever more ... that can be done with the click of a button.

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 9:36:49 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
@all,

there's also a test going on on the demo site http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

3 responsive, flexible grids with tiddlers exchangable between them  (the currently embarrassing limitation: only one tiddler is allowed in the story river so that this doesn't throw errors or behaves strange)

coda coder

Jan 14, 2018, 9:46:08 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 8:36:49 AM UTC-6, BurningTreeC wrote:
@all,

there's also a test going on on the demo site http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

3 responsive, flexible grids with tiddlers exchangable between them  (the currently embarrassing limitation: only one tiddler is allowed in the story river so that this doesn't throw errors or behaves strange)

It looks very good.  Minor issue: I was unable to drag from column 1 to column 3, or v.v.

I think TiddlyTweeter would like the central column to be his storyboard with infinite space to the right.  Columns1 could be sources (potential additions to the story) and column3 a list of all storyboards.  The height of column 2 must be fixed (i.e. no vertical scrolling)

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 10:08:22 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
@coda coder,

thanks!

Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018 15:46:08 UTC+1 schrieb coda coder:

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 8:36:49 AM UTC-6, BurningTreeC wrote:
@all,

there's also a test going on on the demo site http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

3 responsive, flexible grids with tiddlers exchangable between them  (the currently embarrassing limitation: only one tiddler is allowed in the story river so that this doesn't throw errors or behaves strange)

It looks very good.  Minor issue: I was unable to drag from column 1 to column 3, or v.v.

yes, I have to sort that out. dragging directly doesn't work

I think TiddlyTweeter would like the central column to be his storyboard with infinite space to the right.  Columns1 could be sources (potential additions to the story) and column3 a list of all storyboards.  The height of column 2 must be fixed (i.e. no vertical scrolling)

both the left and the right column are fixed, they won't scroll

Simon

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 10:10:44 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
@all again,

I've moved the 3-grid exchangable tiddler-thing to: http://muritest-testing.tiddlyspot.com/ ()ha

on the demo page now there's a nice button to remove borders and spaces between tiddlers.
with everything hidden it looks nice. had to share

all the best,
Simon

BurningTreeC

Jan 14, 2018, 10:20:26 AM1/14/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

there's also a test going on on the demo site http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

3 responsive, flexible grids with tiddlers exchangable between them  (the currently embarrassing limitation: only one tiddler is allowed in the story river so that this doesn't throw errors or behaves strange)

It looks very good.  Minor issue: I was unable to drag from column 1 to column 3, or v.v.

I think TiddlyTweeter would like the central column to be his storyboard with infinite space to the right.  Columns1 could be sources (potential additions to the story) and column3 a list of all storyboards.  The height of column 2 must be fixed (i.e. no vertical scrolling)

@coda coder ... you can position the (currently) left and right column by css
the <$muuri></$muuri> widget now accepts a new attribute "grids" like grids="1" / grids="2" / grids="3" (that's the max, I don't know if more makes sense)

grids="1" creates the storyriver only, 2 and three create 1 more / 2 more grids and you can position them where you want with css
then you can apply different styles to tiddlers in different columns accessing them by .tc-grid-1.tc-tiddler-frame / .tc-grid-2.tc-tiddler-frame ...

these things come with the next versions

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 14, 2018, 10:37:24 AM1/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao BurningTreeC & @coda coder

Nice! Functionally very useful.

Being able to have a layout grid where you can leave some slots free is extremely useful for some use cases.

For instance, returning to the storyboarding Use Case, you often know the middle of the story before the start. Its much better to be able to see the empty spaces once you've written the middle sections. It helps you know what needs filling in.

Another UseCase would be being able to populate different columns with different types of Tiddler (e.g. col 1 -- editor plugin links; col 2 -- Twitter feed for hashtags #tiddlyWiki + #editor; col3 -- notes on editor usage). They could all have different numbers of Tiddlers, best shown in specific columns that are each literally & semantically aligned with their purpose.

Being able to remove empty spaces is a real plus!

Great stuff!

Best wishes
Josiah

BurningTreeC wrote:@all again,

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 15, 2018, 9:01:09 AM1/15/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Simon

A footnote to this about saving stories ... If you don't know of it ... Tobias' Story Saver? It lets you save any number of versions you want in a persistent way.

https://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#%24%3A%2F.tb%2Fui%2FSideBar%2FStories

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 16, 2018, 5:02:10 PM1/16/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao BurningTreeC

Just an FYI. I'm gonna create a mock up based on my use case on this to try to make clearer a few issue on this kind of filtering idea. My thought was NOT to lumber you with a mission impossible, but rather try and open up the scope of what I was trying to get at. I may take it to another thread, as its a broader issue than muuri. First I need to play to get clearer what I meant, though I do think it has relevance to grid layouts.

I had hoped people other than me would comment. Maybe they will yet. Meanwhile I'll try develop a few use cases.

Best wishes
Josiah

BurningTreeC wrote:
hello everyone,

TiddlyTweeter

BurningTreeC

Jan 17, 2018, 12:13:33 AM1/17/18
to TiddlyWiki
@TiddlyTweeter,

don't worry, I'm not doing what you proposed right now

I'm testing testing testing
I'm doing various tests with more grids to figure out what works best and what's nice but doesn't add functionality.
Your story-saving comes last 'cause it's an easy thing to do
The grid filtering also comes after all things are implemented in a stable way

I'm curious how your mock-up will look like

cheers,
Simon

BurningTreeC

Jan 18, 2018, 1:49:00 AM1/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
@all,

updated the first post with some info why I make tiddlytouch

the demo page has 3 grids now where tiddlers are going to be interchangable
it's not in a stable state but you can try and see where I want it to go
the horizontal view gets one grid above and one below
with the current state I'm trying to figure out where I should store the tiddlers that are put in the left/right grids
hiding a grid does not only hide it from the view, but also remove it from the cache for better performance,
and this must be stored somehow somewhere

In the meantime I've figured out how to use muuris integrated functions better than I did first - this will reflect in the next alpha release

all the best,
Simon

Evgeniy Degtyar

Jan 20, 2018, 7:46:09 AM1/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
If to speak for myself I don't need 3 grids. At least now I don't know why and how I'll use when in my personal wiki.
But using TiddlyTouch plugin I realized what I need some "focus" feature when you can make concrete tiddler much bigger than others to work with it.

BurningTreeC

Jan 20, 2018, 7:52:13 AM1/20/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@Evgeniy Degtyar,

I understand that,

I'm currently finishing the first beta release on tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com
This will not include more grids, just the basic TiddlyTouch functionality with error fixes. You can already take a look at it, though documentation is getting done at the moment.

I will announce the release today or tomorrow here in the forum when everything's done.

I plan to make features like 3 grids etc. available on tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com as add-ons that don't come with the plugin itself.

best wishes,
Simon

Evgeniy Degtyar

Jan 20, 2018, 7:55:42 AM1/20/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Anyway, this is my "must have" plugin for TW. Thank you for that.

@Evgeniy Degtyar,

I understand that,

I'm currently finishing the first beta release on tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com
This will not include more grids, just the basic TiddlyTouch functionality with error fixes. You can already take a look at it, though documentation is done at the moment.

Am Samstag, 20. Januar 2018 13:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Evgeniy Degtyar:
If to speak for myself I don't need 3 grids. At least now I don't know why and how I'll use when in my personal wiki.
But using TiddlyTouch plugin I realized what I need some "focus" feature when you can make concrete tiddler much bigger than others to work with it.

воскресенье, 14 января 2018 г., 17:36:49 UTC+3 пользователь BurningTreeC написал:
@all,

there's also a test going on on the demo site http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

3 responsive, flexible grids with tiddlers exchangable between them  (the currently embarrassing limitation: only one tiddler is allowed in the story river so that this doesn't throw errors or behaves strange)

what do you think about this?
could this be useful, how could this be used?

cheers,
BurningTreeC

BurningTreeC

Jan 20, 2018, 7:57:37 AM1/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Anyway, this is my "must have" plugin for TW. Thank you for that.

Thank you, that's pretty cool!

John Jones

Jan 20, 2018, 10:05:19 AM1/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Simon, I am new to Tiddlywiki but am looking to use it for some of my projects.  Your development looks really cool.  Thank you so much for posting this.  Once I wrap my head around Tiddly and actually start using it, I will definitely try out your plugin.

My current focus is on a fork of Rocket.chat that I am working on.  Rocket.chat is an open source form of Slack.  I am working on creating a new channel type for Wiki content and plan to add TiddlyWiki as a channel type.  The idea is to use tiddly as a lab notebook tool within rocket.chat so users can create a tiddly channel and members of the channel can collaborate on the lab notebook.  The lab notebook would be posted tiddlers in the channel.  Your plugin would make a nice fit to that I think.

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-5, BurningTreeC wrote:
[...]

Simon Huber

Jan 20, 2018, 11:22:09 AM1/20/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,

thank you, I'm very pleased about that

I'd be very interested to see your finished fork.
Today I'm working on the 0.1.1 beta release of TiddlyTouch, you can take a look at tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com
I'm not yet done so maybe I'll announce it tomorrow. I've added a MIT License so that who's interested can get it and work with it.
Documentation will be added on the named page one by one as time allows.

If you need some information or help with getting the plugin to work,
just write me an e-mail

best wishes,
Simon

John Jones

Jan 23, 2018, 9:47:05 PM1/23/18
to TiddlyWiki
Will post back here once we have the integration completed.

BurningTreeC

Jan 31, 2018, 3:04:27 AM1/31/18
to TiddlyWiki
@John Jones, thanks I'm looking forward to that!

@all:

I've implemented alt+mousewheel, shift+mousewheel and shift+alt+mousewheel to change the tiddlers freely

The pinch-zoom now works much better and sets the exact width in pixels you set by pinching

you can preview both on http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

The pinch-zoom also lets you move tiddlers around. A small thing is missing atm - the new tiddler position doesn't get saved - I'll fix that soon

Now I try to figure out which of all ways works best, I'm pretty undecided about the keyboard and mouse controls.
I'm not that happy about the current implementation of how tiddlers get paginated (on chrome/chromium/maybe safari, too) or scrollable (on firefox) when the tiddler height gets low so that the content doesn't fit - the scrollbars on firefox are simply ugly. This pagination/scrollable on overflow is a css solution and you may have better ideas, I'd welcome them! :)

the "free willy" button atm doesn't reset the widths applied with the new methods but when I know which way to go I'll fix that

if you have time, let me know what works for you,

cheers
Simon

Evgeniy Degtyar

Jan 31, 2018, 4:04:54 AM1/31/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Quick answer:
"It's more preferable for me to use hold left mouse click to pick tiddler for dragging behavior. You know, like icons in iPhone/iPad"

BurningTreeC

Jan 31, 2018, 2:14:01 PM1/31/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Evgeniy,

as I understand, you mean dragging tiddlers with the left mouse button - that's something you can do already

What I meant is the resizing with mouse+keyboard. Now I've implemented it in a way I like, I've put it online on http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com

I think like that it will be in 0.1.2

it's also configurable and tweakable to be able to realize lots of layouts
each tiddler can store a pixel value for its width and height in its fields "muuri-tiddler-width-px" and "muuri-tiddler-height-px" and that value gets used for its height and width
pinch-zoom and alt+mousewheel/shift+mousewheel also store the values in those fields

and there are two new buttons (they can be disabled) that let you add/remove 1px from the width or height if you want to fit tiddlers perfectly somewhere

I hope later this week I'll have the widget and the documentation ready for everyone's use

all the best, Simon

Evgeniy Degtyar

Feb 1, 2018, 12:43:12 PM2/1/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Now we have two modes: when dragging disabled and when enabled.

What if we’ll have only one mode. But when we’ll hold left mouse button on tiddler, it will be unpinned from the grid and we’ll move it.

About resizing: the most usable case for me are shortcuts or buttons on tiddlers.

Отправлено с iPad

Evgeniy Degtyar

Feb 1, 2018, 12:49:08 PM2/1/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
And when I updated plugin from your site nothing worked. To make it work I copied all your plugin setting from every plugin file and then it worked.

Отправлено с iPad

Jan

Feb 1, 2018, 7:54:18 PM2/1/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon,
you made big progress. The feel of Muri is getting better and better. I am looking forward to see your touch-inventions as separate widgets!

Yours Jan

Am 10.01.2018 um 16:24 schrieb BurningTreeC:
[...]

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 3:27:40 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki

Am Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 01:54:18 UTC+1 schrieb Jan:
Hello Simon,
you made big progress. The feel of Muri is getting better and better. I am looking forward to see your touch-inventions as separate widgets!

Yours Jan

Hello Jan, thanks! I have a swipe widget ready on muritest, if you take a look at the page and switch to the normal tiddlywiki view, you can swipe on tiddlers and an action message gets sent.

There I'm calling it in the $:/core/ui/PageTemplate/story, take a look how it's called - the message part is exactly like the action-sendmessage widget.

2 more attributes are needed: targets="the target class of the elements tos wipe" velocity="the velocity that must be reached to trigger - you can provide floating numbers like 2.5"

1 more attribute can be provided: direction="left/up/down/right" - if not provided any swipe triggers the action

all the best,
Simon

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 3:30:27 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
I forgot to say, you only need the widget tiddler and the hammer.js tiddler for this. you can rename both tiddlers as you like. If you change the name of the hammer.js tiddler, you need to change it in the widget tiddler, there it gets calles with var Hammer = require("the hammer.js tiddler name");

happy hacking!

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 4:27:26 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
update: the attributes "targets", "velocity" and "direction" also have to be prefixed with "$" - I've changed that

Jan

Feb 2, 2018, 5:17:25 AM2/2/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,
and I have another question applying this widget:
Using it, in both my use-cases I would have to set a field-value in an existing tiddler.
I do not see how this is possible with the message-widget...could you also make it trigger an action-widget?

Yours Jan

Am 02.02.2018 um 11:09 schrieb Jan:
Hi Simon,
thanks a lot for this widget.
A short report of my test.
On my desktop Touchscreen the black div to Test the swipe down works.
The triggering swipe velocity is not so easy to optain.  $velocity=1 works much better.

On my Iphone the storyriver can not be us moved up and down no longer - perhaps up and down  arte dangerous here.

The swipe left on the normal tiddlers for me just seems to work from time to time. Maybe it is intercepted by elements in the Tiddler?

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 5:23:23 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Jan, I'm adding an optional "actions" attribute that works like in the button or checkbox widget. I think that would work for you.

Take a look in about half an hour, 1200 german time

Jan

Feb 2, 2018, 5:35:41 AM2/2/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon.
Great, that's really fast. I will check this ASAP.
Jan

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 5:58:23 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
It's on @Jan,

I think I'll simplify it to only use the actions, not the message. one can still send messages from within the action string

Jan

Feb 2, 2018, 7:15:57 AM2/2/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,
Great, that sidebar-switch is exactly my usecase.
On the desktop it works perfect.
Did you test this on smartphones yet? On my Iphone the storyriver cannot be scrolled any more.

Perhaps the hammer.js has to be reduced to detect swipe-left and right.

Big Thanks and best wishes
Jan

Am 02.02.2018 um 11:58 schrieb BurningTreeC:
It's on @Jan,

I think I'll simplify it to only use the actions, not the message. one can still send messages from within the action string

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 7:25:50 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki

Am Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 13:15:57 UTC+1 schrieb Jan:
Hi Simon,
Great, that sidebar-switch is exactly my usecase.

perfect!

On the desktop it works perfect.
Did you test this on smartphones yet? On my Iphone the storyriver cannot be scrolled any more.

I think that's because I made every tiddler listen for the left swipe on its tiddler-frame and that blocks other swipe events.
I'll remove that, then it should be scrollable again

Perhaps the hammer.js has to be reduced to detect swipe-left and right.

hm... yes, that's probably better. We'll see what works best

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 7:58:11 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
This blocking thing is removed now and the storyriver is scrollable again.

I had a swipe widget in the story pagetemplate and as targets all tiddler-view-frames. that blocked other swipes.
The challenge here is to choose the right elements for swiping.
I have to block other swipe events because if not, swiping left would also trigger a "go back to last page in browsing history" on certain browsers.
On TiddlyDesktop I think it would be fine not to block, on firefox I don't know if there's such a swipe gesture, on mobile browsers there isn't right? I could detect the browsers inside the widget and block the events only where they could interfere

BurningTreeC

Feb 2, 2018, 8:49:59 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
@Jan,

now I got what you meant. if the swipe direction is set to left or right, it doesn't block scrolling up/down anymore - it's updated on muritest

if swipe direction is up/down, it doesn't block right/left

BurningTreeC

Feb 10, 2018, 5:15:43 AM2/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
An unknown human being (I guess) wrote me via guerillamail.com (where I'm not going to answer)

Hello,

Thank for the wonderful work on muuritouch. :)

thank you

An excellent case use for murri (imo) is as a gallery. And I woudl like to suggest as an improvement the ability for muuri to autosize the opened tiddlers (now that width & hieght can be adjusted) based on a rating (by tobiasbeer) or some other feild algorithm the user chooses (using evans formula or a manually entered number). Maybe this feild can eb easily chagne by a drop down menu from the top or sidebar etc (so you can size by feild a, or feild b or feild c) etc.

that's a nice idea, I'll think about adding something like this

Also -I do not know if this can be done with muuri - but there was a freeform canvas interface for the OLD tiddlywiki (called movable) which woudl be great if ported into TW. Kind of like onenote. Muuri seems to move things to fixed locatison however - so i'm not sure of thsi could be done...

I haven't used TiddlyWiki classic, so I don't know that movable interface. But: I've made some widgets that implement what I've learned from hacking with muuri and hammer.js and the pan widget should allow you to do that - in combination with some viewtemplate and edittemplate tweaks

Thanks for reading through the suggestions, I hope you liek them and take them into consideration!

Thanks for the idea, I'd like to see how the community thinks about it

Maybe someone has some infos about that TW classic movable thing?

all the best,
BTC

Birthe C

Feb 10, 2018, 12:08:39 PM2/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BTC,

I think it is from Eric Shulmans tiddlytools Quickstart http://tiddlytools.com/quickstart/moveable.html

Birthe

BurningTreeC

Feb 11, 2018, 1:30:51 AM2/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BTC,

I think it is from Eric Shulmans tiddlytools Quickstart http://tiddlytools.com/quickstart/moveable.html

Hi Birthe, thanks for the link!

@all,
this is cool, seems that tw classic allows pretty advanced things.
is that because of jquery support?

Birthe

BTC

Birthe C

Feb 11, 2018, 12:51:35 PM2/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
I was always fascinated by Wolfgangs Groundless desktop, anyone have a link for that one?
Måns made use of it in danish, that is the only link I know of http://desktree.tiddlyspot.com/

Birthe

Jan

Feb 15, 2018, 4:49:04 PM2/15/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon,
After some time out of wiki, I discovered another awesome feature of your muuri testsite.
The draggabale border between tiddlers and sidebar. Absolutely great.
How exactly do you install it?

In fact muuri has so many features that it is hard to discover everything.

[...]

BurningTreeC

Feb 15, 2018, 5:05:53 PM2/15/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Jan,

this uses the pan widget and the formula plugin
you can install it by getting the "slidebar styles" tiddler, the $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/macros/viewport.js and the modified $:/core/ui/PageTemplate/story
in the story pagetemplate, only the div is added that sits between the story river and the sidebar
the viewport.js macro only returns the viewport width: <<viewport>> (I use it in the slidebar styles Stylesheet for the calculations)
the formula plugin is essential for this

This is not really a part of the Muuri plugin - more a demo what the pan widget and the formula plugin can do together

I'm glad you like it, hope it works for you!

best wishes, Simon

BurningTreeC

Feb 15, 2018, 5:10:01 PM2/15/18
to TiddlyWiki
@Jan,

you also need the pan widget and the hammer.js tiddlers

the list:

  • the formula plugin
  • the pan widget $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/widgets/pan.js
  • the hammer.js lib $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/lib/hammer.js
  • the viewport.js macro $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/macros/viewport.js
  • the modified story PageTemplate $:/core/ui/PageTemplate/story
  • the slidebar styles Tiddler

Jan

Feb 15, 2018, 6:28:02 PM2/15/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Simon:

thanks for the information,
  • the formula plugin =$:/plugins/ebalster/formula?
  • the pan widget $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/widgets/pan.js
  • the hammer.js lib $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/lib/hammer.js
  • the viewport.js macro $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/macros/viewport.js
  • the modified story PageTemplate $:/core/ui/PageTemplate/story
  • the slidebar styles Tiddler

    Wonderful and verrry useful idea... but quite a lot of dependencies...
    When you install the modified storyTemplate and one of them is missing the story remains void...and it could be hard to recover from that.
    (Luckily i tried it on my tiddlyspot so that it was no hassle at all)

    It would be useful to have a complete solution or a fallback in the Pagetemplate for that case.

    Thanks again for your work,
    Jan

    BurningTreeC

    Feb 16, 2018, 3:17:41 AM2/16/18
    to TiddlyWiki
    @Jan,

    I'll give this some thoughts, maybe the formula plugin can be replaced by native TW widget-/macro acrobatics
    I changed the PageTemplate so that if a dependency is missing the story shows nevertheless
    something like the viewport macro would be nice to have in the core. I'll change it a bit so that it can return the viewport width or height and make a pull request
    The hammer.js library I use a lot with different stuff - could be useful to have it accessible through the TW plugin library, or something similar. I'll try pinging the dev group a bit about this

    Simon

    Jan

    Feb 16, 2018, 4:12:54 AM2/16/18
    to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
    Hello Simon,
    very good. The viewport.js sound very interesting to. You wrote above , the viewport macro is "measuring" the viewport.
    Especially for mobile use it would be very practical to be able  to set the viewport based on conditions with a function like this....
    But that's just an idea an an entirely different story.

    Yours Jan

    BurningTreeC

    Feb 16, 2018, 4:40:42 AM2/16/18
    to TiddlyWiki
    Hello Simon,
    very good. The viewport.js sound very interesting to. You wrote above , the viewport macro is "measuring" the viewport.
    Especially for mobile use it would be very practical to be able  to set the viewport based on conditions with a function like this....
    But that's just an idea an an entirely different story.

    Yes, it could be used in many ways for many things. I was a bit  astonished that there isn't already something like that in the core.

    Something else but related is having simple comparisons in TW. My opinion: comparing two numbers if one is greater than the other should be possible by default without having to rely on plugins

    I'll do some more dev-group pinging

    Simon