Presenting: BackWall for eye-friendly scrolling

Mat

Apr 13, 2016, 1:24:07 PM4/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
BackWall is a different way to display images. Maybe someone has some idea how to make it work for all kinds of tiddlers.

Nothing huge but maybe you find it interesting.

<:-)

Pit.W.

Apr 13, 2016, 1:45:54 PM4/13/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mat,

this example-TW is
- surprising
- educative
- worth being explored further

Thanks for developing and sharing.

Pit

PMario

Apr 13, 2016, 2:28:00 PM4/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 7:24:07 PM UTC+2, Mat wrote:
BackWall is a different way to display images. Maybe someone has some idea how to make it work for all kinds of tiddlers.

Nothing huge but maybe you find it interesting.

Hi Mat,

This example has blown me away :) ... The effect is absolutely stunning! ... I really love it!

This idea is definitely something for further exploration. It would probably be a good "kiosk mode"

GREAT WORK!
-mario

Dave

Apr 13, 2016, 3:51:28 PM4/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Cool! I like it!!

Mat

Apr 13, 2016, 5:55:04 PM4/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for your really kind comments! How flattering! :-)

@pmario - what does "kiosk mode" mean?

Again, thanks everyone!

<:-)

Dave

Apr 13, 2016, 6:00:15 PM4/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Do you think that you could ever have that same effect, but with text over top of the image, i,e, as the tiddler scrolls, the text would scroll but the background image would stay where it is?

Mat

Apr 13, 2016, 6:09:33 PM4/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Dave, yes I know how to do that. Will show you tomorrow.

<:-)

Ed

Apr 13, 2016, 6:39:51 PM4/13/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
"Maybe you find it interesting"

Maybe? Maybe? No not at all.
Hugely interesting when I think of it as a grand simple way of presenting images.

BTW 8-)) Especially like the dog in the expended way. Übercool animal!
Cheers! Ed.
========

Jon

Apr 14, 2016, 1:54:53 AM4/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Very nice!
Jon

David Myers

Apr 14, 2016, 3:24:35 AM4/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
That is seriously cool.

If you combined that with Dave's Slide presentation you could have some interesting effects for transitioning from one slide to another.

If you can make it work for single tiddlers with text, that will be amazing.

David

Mat

Apr 14, 2016, 3:41:54 AM4/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
NOTE  - to my surprise BackWall also requires Felix' TopStoryView plugin!

TopStoryView ensures that clicking on a tiddler link scrolls the tiddler to the top of the screen. This is not actually default behavior in TW. I have this plugin included as part of my default empty setup for tiddlyspots, so I didn't even think of it when making BackWall - but in some experimenting I notice it is needed or clicking a link in the sidebar doesn't scroll!

Anybody understands why? I suspect the position:fixed background image (which I think actually stacks all images like deck of cards at TW top) so default TW interprets this as if the tiddler itself is already in that position - no need to scroll.

<:-)

PMario

Apr 14, 2016, 3:42:05 AM4/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 11:55:04 PM UTC+2, Mat wrote:
@pmario - what does "kiosk mode" mean?

For me it's a presentation mode, that runs in an infinite loop ... with the possibility for interaction.
If interaction stops, the automatic loop (slideshow) starts running again.

-m

Mat

Apr 14, 2016, 8:13:08 AM4/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
@pmario - what does "kiosk mode" mean?

For me it's a presentation mode, that runs in an infinite loop ... with the possibility for interaction.
If interaction stops, the automatic loop (slideshow) starts running again.

Ah - that would be very nice! I don't know how to implement it though. Wouldn't it require something that continually triggers something?

<:-)

Mat

Apr 14, 2016, 8:17:08 AM4/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
UPDATE NOTICE

Per request, it is now possible to write text and have it show as normal
(i.e not as backwall text which I still don't know how to implement).

http://backwall.tiddlyspot.com/

<:-)

Mat

Apr 23, 2016, 7:31:12 AM4/23/16
to TiddlyWiki
Note:

About getting Back Wall to work for arbitrary tiddler content, I just wrote some thoughts if anyone has any insights on the matter or just wants to give it a go.

If we do get it to work it would in effect be a new type of Story View. Or at least a variant.

<:-)