Interactive fiction with tw5?

Timothy Sanders

Oct 17, 2016, 11:43:49 AM10/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about using tw5 for interactive fiction, like Twine.

I have a semester long assignment to create an interactive fiction story, but I have to make heavy use of multimedia and images.

I have some experience with Twine, but, it doesn't scale very well, and I'm going to be collaborating with other students.

We know how to use git, and being able to externalize our images and scenes into .tid files would be profoundly helpful. Using Twine is awkward because we're just committing a single html file, and we can't really merge changes.

We are also required to extend an existing technology, and not just use someone else's code.

But I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my plan?

Is anyone familiar with the architecture of Twine, and how much it has inherited from Tiddlywiki? Should I try to adapt any of it?

I feel like the overhead graphical links could be represented with tiddlymap (our story has to be very big). And I wanted to use HTML image maps for our interactive comic pages.

I would like to start on creating a new interactive fiction platform, and I will be certain to share my repo if it works out.

Jed Carty

Oct 17, 2016, 1:13:51 PM10/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
That was actually one of my first experiments with tiddlywiki. You can see the old version of what I made here, I am in the middle up updating it and I can put up what I have already if you want to look at it. The biggest difference in the new one is that it can have things like conversations and it makes interactive choices using an extended version of the scene editor I made here.

Ákos Szederjei

Oct 17, 2016, 3:42:56 PM10/17/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Lovely, consider me impressed. Great work, congratulations!

Ákos

On 10/17/2016 7:13 PM, Jed Carty wrote:
> That was actually one of my first experiments with tiddlywiki. You can
> see the old version of what I made here
> <http://zorklike.tiddlyspot.com/>, I am in the middle up updating it and
> I can put up what I have already if you want to look at it. The biggest
> difference in the new one is that it can have things like conversations
> and it makes interactive choices using an extended version of the scene
> editor I made here <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/SceneEditor/>.

Jed Carty

Oct 17, 2016, 4:27:45 PM10/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
If there is actually interest in this I can make a github repo so people can contribute to it.

Steven Schneider

Oct 17, 2016, 4:28:40 PM10/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
Timothy, this sounds like an interesting and fun project. I'd be glad to hop onto a Zoom session with you and your colleagues to chat about different possibilities. I regularly teach a TW class (next offered: Spring 2017) and anticipate adding a fiction component / assignment for next semester, so this is close to what I'm working on these days.

From what you describe, you probably need to run TW under node.js, but I'll let others chime in on that (otherwise, you are stuck in the single html file model, and it doesn't seem like that will work for you).

Please send along links as you create new versions, I'd love to see your progress.

Thomas Elmiger

Oct 18, 2016, 12:51:02 PM10/18/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jed – thank you! This time I won. There was an additional challenge as I did it on the small screen of my Phone.
Kind regards
Thomas

Timothy Sanders

Oct 18, 2016, 4:29:36 PM10/18/16
to TiddlyWiki
Wow, thanks so much! I certainly will update this thread with my progress.

What I'm working on right now, is keeping a tree of opened tiddlers, so that when the user hits a back button, the displayed tiddlers will be unloaded, up until the last choice that they made.

Also, if there was a way I could make tiddlers appear horizontally, instead of vertically, that would be very helpful.

One of the people in my department actually worked on Twine, so I'm going to be consulting with him, and sharing what I make on github.

Devin Weaver

Oct 19, 2016, 4:46:37 PM10/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
I am almost positive Twine's output is a TiddlyWiki. Open the output HTML file and view source. It should show TiddlyWiki.

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 11:43:49 AM UTC-4, Timothy Sanders wrote:
Message has been deleted