Hide some fields and tags

Mohammad

Oct 8, 2018, 1:58:33 PM10/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
In TW you can hide tiddler start with $:/ from many search and list!
Is there a similar method to hide some fields and tags!

This may be redundant but as your wiki grew up you add more fields and tags and this clutters your wiki!
Specially when you want to select tags from drop down list and the same is true for fields.

Mohammad

Mark S.

Oct 8, 2018, 3:53:42 PM10/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
I just tried this on a whim ... and it worked.

Take the existing tiddler:

$:/config/EditTemplateFields/Visibility/created

clone it, and change it to:

$:/config/EditTemplateFields/Visibility/myfield

with text "hide" (if it's not already)

and now your field "myfield" will be hidden.

Might not be quite what you want, but kind of interesting that it works out of the box like that.

-- Mark

Mohammad

Oct 8, 2018, 4:56:51 PM10/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Mark,
 Should we do this for every field and tag we don't want?

-Mohammad

Mark S.

Oct 8, 2018, 5:13:52 PM10/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

Well, it's only for fields (tags is a different issue). But it should work to "hide" every field you don't want.

-- Mark

Mark S.

Oct 8, 2018, 5:45:56 PM10/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
You could, if feeling adventurous, hack

$:/core/macros/tag-picker

Go down to the line:

<$list filter="[tags[]!is[system]search:title{$:/temp/NewTagName}sort[]]" variable="tag">

and change to:

<$list filter="[tags[]!is[system]!prefix{$:/config/Tags/hide/myprefix}search:title{$:/temp/NewTagName}sort[]]" variable="tag">

and then make a tiddler:

$:/config/Tags/hide/myprefix

and put whatever prefix you wish to prevent showing (in the editor)

This way if you have a series of structural tiddlers (one's that you use to create a TOC tree, for instance) then you could put

toc_

So that you would see tags that had actual meaning (contacts, personal, locations, etc.).

-- Mark

TonyM

Oct 8, 2018, 6:45:20 PM10/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mohamad et a

To add to this conversation what we are talking about is the visibility of fields when in the edit template, there are the already hidden ones in the edit fields list such as "created", change count and others. I have taken a different approach in my key tiddlywiki. I leave the edit facility alone but rarely enter edit mode at all. I have created the ability to edit fields in view mode (using some gymnastics to edit the current tiddler and a toggle to show / hide), and provide my own code to edit each field, so I can honour the nature of different fields, like dates have time stamps and date pickers, the icon field has the image selector, and some fields allow you select from predetermined values and some from existing values in other tiddlers matching fields.  Using this method I can list in an edit-fields-list (field) the fields to display and their order, provide drop down lists to add fields and much more. This facility extends to tags, alternative tag fields and the text field.

Whilst this is working in a robust way for me it is premature for me to put forward proposed changes to the development team, but I expect I will eventually. You may have seen some posts from me about fields as first class citizens. I believe we need to provide the core the following features.
  • An easy way to edit fields in the current tiddler
  • The ability to define fields, their usage and ways they can source information
  • An easy way to arrange what and how fields can be displayed in tiddlers view mode or an additional mode called update.
I have also an example where I have manipulated the way the edit fields list that appears in edit mode works such that it includes links to the fields definition.

I have also taken this further to allow the field definitions to include how a field may appear for view or edit in list columns. Basically if you list some tiddlers you can provide a tiddlername that tags all the columns you want in that list, the columns then define its title, and how to display and/or edit that fields value in the list. I believe these should all be rolled into the field definition.

The reason it is not ready for inclusion in the core or key plugins is the solution would best set a standard such that in future others can share field definitions, column definitions etc... and the core can just enable this and set the standards with out providing all the details.

Regards
Tony

Mohammad

Oct 9, 2018, 12:22:38 AM10/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Many Thanks Mark!
It works

-Mohammad

Mohammad

Oct 9, 2018, 12:25:55 AM10/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony!
 My experience is TW in real work and projects cluttered easily, so we need a simple way to be able to organize and control objects in that!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Mohammad