New Release Banner Competition for v5.2.2

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 23, 2022, 9:05:58 AM3/23/22
to TiddlyWiki Group
As usual, I’d like to hold a competition to design the banner image that is shown on the splash screen and within the opening HelloThere tiddler.

However, we find ourselves again in the situation where we have extremely limited time. Due to a serious bug introduced by the next version of Chrome we are trying to get v5.2.2 released in the next few days.

With that in mind, we’ll have to run the competition slightly differently this time:
  • Entries will be accepted until Friday morning at 8am UK time
  • To speed things up, we’ll have to eschew voting, and I will once again choose the winning image (I’m open to discussion here!)
Ideally, the artwork should reflect some of the changes in the new version. I’ve updated the release note for the prerelease:

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/

The other rules/guidelines for the competition are:
  • The version number (with the correct punctuation) must be clear and readable even when the banner is shown at a reduced size
  • The image must be a PNG or JPEG of exactly 560x315 pixels
  • The bottom 46 pixels will be obscured by the banner text “What’s new in 5.2.2” when it is displayed within HelloThere
  • The image need not include the word “TiddlyWiki”. The banner image is only used in contexts where it is clear that it is about TiddlyWiki
  • Feel free to enter an updated version of artwork that was a runner-up in a previous competition
  • Please give lots of feedback here to encourage the artists
Here are the posts about previous artwork competitions:

v5.2.1 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/GU0TPGNMPvw/m/y1SyQk_nAQAJ
v5.2.0 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/eccIEHZoxsI/m/JpxoQdZrAwAJ
v5.1.23 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/cTgPWl8b_9c/m/VtrMFHBGAwAJ
v5.1.22 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/rYrja18_SfQ/m/JAklPfjfAwAJ
v5.1.21 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/l47ZZzWdDb8/m/6s0p_3QeCgAJ

The Chrome bug I was referring to is discussed here:

https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/t/imminent-release-of-tiddlywiki-v5-2-2-to-address-new-chrome-edge-bug/2829/5

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeremy

springer

Mar 23, 2022, 9:54:07 AM3/23/22
to TiddlyWiki

Off the cuff, and maybe too soon, but since there aren't many new features:

TiddlyWiki 5-2-2-wrench-white.png

If anyone wants to propose a graphic idea for 5.2.2, let me know and I'll post it at https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/

-Springer

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 25, 2022, 8:56:33 AM3/25/22
to TiddlyWiki Group
Congratulations Springer, it’s a great design, and as it’s turned out, the winner by an overwhelming margin.

It’s a shame to have had to rush the competition again, let’s hope that next time we can do it as usual.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On 23 Mar 2022, at 13:54, springer <springer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Off the cuff, and maybe too soon, but since there aren't many new features:

<TiddlyWiki 5-2-2-wrench-white.png>

springer

Mar 25, 2022, 9:08:10 AM3/25/22
to TiddlyWiki
An overwhelming margin indeed! ;)

The version I posted at the external site looks very similar, but reduces filesize significantly and nudges all graphic elements up a bit so that the caption segment doesn't occlude the wrench as much. Happy to nudge in any further way that's helpful.

TiddlyWiki-wrench-nudged.jpg