Let's restyle Google Groups!

Mat

Sep 17, 2020, 3:31:26 PM9/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Let's restyle the new layout in Google Groups to make it tolerable. Yes, it's possible.

Many of us spend enough time on the boards to justify putting in a little effort to modify its layout. This is possible by using a "local CSS enforcer" (my term). I use Amino (in Chrome). Here is the default (new) main page VS my styled version of it:

gg1.png

I also have styled the individual/opened threads.

Yes, there is a risk that Google changes how the page is laid out and the target paths are changed. Well, then the styles have to be modified, so what. If we fiddle a bit with this together it is not particularly difficult it just takes a little time to try things out.

Is anyone interested? Do you want the styles I'm using? (again, it requires some "local CSS enforcer" addon).

<:-)

TW Tones

Sep 17, 2020, 7:36:48 PM9/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mat,

I am interested in the method as a whole, but I wonder what you see it as achieving?

Perhaps some exploration of the GG interface and subsequent customisation's makes sense but I we loose it all, to the new groups then it may be wasted effort. Perhaps after the transition to the new groups?

I also wonder if it is an opportunity to have a dial on demand alternative on top of regular tiddlywikis, perhaps to make a more compact view etc... I am already using bookmarklets to customise tiddlywiki's I arrive at such as tiddlywiki.com. I could see the ability to build a library of css designed for a "local CSS enforcer" managed in a tiddlywiki, then developed to redesign a number of common websites.

Thanks for sharing, I will have a look at Amino.

Regards
Tones

Mat

Sep 18, 2020, 12:57:16 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am interested in the method as a whole, but I wonder what you see it as achieving?

(How can this not be clear in my post?) To improve the new GG interface.

Perhaps some exploration of the GG interface and subsequent customisation's makes sense but I we loose it all, to the new groups then it may be wasted effort. Perhaps after the transition to the new groups?

My post refers to the new UI (again, how is this not clear?). Google already made the change for me some days back. I have the new UI and there is no more an option to go back.

I also wonder if it is an opportunity to have a dial on demand alternative on top of regular tiddlywikis, perhaps to make a more compact view etc...

This has nothing to do with TW. TW can be styled internally.

<:-)

TW Tones

Sep 18, 2020, 2:53:06 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mat,

My Replies in line;

You asked if anyone was interested, and I asked questions so I could understand and give an honest answer to you. I am sorry if you think my response was stupid, because it feels that way.

On Friday, 18 September 2020 14:57:16 UTC+10, Mat wrote:
I am interested in the method as a whole, but I wonder what you see it as achieving?

(How can this not be clear in my post?) To improve the new GG interface.

Improve, in what ways, I cant see much difference between the two. I wondered what elements you are suggesting, had you other ideas?

Perhaps some exploration of the GG interface and subsequent customisation's makes sense but I we loose it all, to the new groups then it may be wasted effort. Perhaps after the transition to the new groups?

My post refers to the new UI (again, how is this not clear?). Google already made the change for me some days back. I have the new UI and there is no more an option to go back.

I know this, Google clearly needs to change a lot more when I use the New Groups view, it fails to meet basic needs, This enforced change did not occur for me. Ia m guessing more changes will occur, But I will revise the latest version after this reply.

I also wonder if it is an opportunity to have a dial on demand alternative on top of regular tiddlywikis, perhaps to make a more compact view etc...

This has nothing to do with TW. TW can be styled internally.

Of course, but I am asking if the mechanism can be used for this as well. Typically I can only style internally If I can save the wiki, I was wondering as a visitor.

<:-)

SIncerly
Tones

Birthe C

Sep 18, 2020, 3:11:31 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mat,

It seems you succeeded in creating a better overview. Everything that can make the new groups better should be welcomed. You making it your own, kind of say....no one decides for you.

I have not been forced to change yet, but expect it anytime soon. Maybe your changes would ease the pain some.

Birthe

TW Tones

Sep 18, 2020, 3:29:21 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
I reviewed the new desktop groups view, It is more complete than when I last looked.

However the mobile view I can not reply or star, its useless for anything but reading without the ability to star or reply.

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Sep 18, 2020, 4:36:58 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tones & Mat

Tones, right.

Being in the middle of imposed changes FOR what? it is difficult to know where to go forward.
The whole WHY of this is still obscure whilst the Losses are Obvious & Problematic

RE the OP  ... Right now understanding and protesting on preserving basic function seems more on-point than bending via an extension to offset deficit.

Just 2 cents
TT

Mat

Sep 18, 2020, 8:15:48 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
TW Tones wrote:
You asked if anyone was interested, and I asked questions so I could understand and give an honest answer to you. I am sorry if you think my response was stupid, because it feels that way.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend - I just can't understand what is unclear about my inital post. How could it be made clearer?

Improve, in what ways, I cant see much difference between the two. I wondered what elements you are suggesting, had you other ideas?

OK, one main problem with the new UI is that you only see some 7 threads (even when scrolling) on a 14" screen. With a UI change you can get double that. As can be seen in the image, this is mainly achieved by hiding the "Welcoming message".

This has nothing to do with TW. TW can be styled internally.

Of course, but I am asking if the mechanism can be used for this as well. Typically I can only style internally If I can save the wiki, I was wondering as a visitor.

OK, that Amino extension can be used to enforce CSS on any page so sure. But that's another topic :-)

<:-)

Mat

Sep 18, 2020, 8:18:39 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
TW Tones wrote:
However the mobile view I can not reply or star, its useless for anything but reading without the ability to star or reply.

I'm afraid functionality is not possible to change though. Only styling.

<:-)

Mat

Sep 18, 2020, 8:21:50 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
TiddlyTweeter wrote:
RE the OP  ... Right now understanding and protesting on preserving basic function seems more on-point than bending via an extension to offset deficit.

They're not mutually exclusive - and I am already suffering from the deficits. You will probably too, within shortly.

<:-)

TiddlyTweeter

Sep 18, 2020, 9:22:01 AM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki