@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 17, 2017, 1:37:38 PM7/17/17
to TiddlyWiki
Am i right in thinking that if you open 7 tabs in TW, ONLY the one that is active is loaded? That the other six are not loaded until you click on them to foreground? And if you click on the PREVIOUS one its already been unloaded and you have to wait whilst it loads again?

Just asking.

PMario

Jul 17, 2017, 2:17:52 PM7/17/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Depends on your browser setting. Not TW specific.

-m
Message has been deleted

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 18, 2017, 9:50:17 AM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry PMario

I suddenly realised my question was very ambiguous.

I didn't mean browser tabs. I meant tabs in TiddlyWiki.

Josiah

PMario

Jul 18, 2017, 10:15:15 AM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ahh,
OK .. That's the "retain" setting from the reveal widget: http://tiddlywiki.com/#RevealWidget

If you set retain to yes, it will keep the stuff in the browser DOM. .. It's faster to display, ... BUT ... it also takes part in the TW refresh cycle.

So, even if the content is hidden, it's updated in the background, if something changes. .. So having 6 hidden tabs with 100 tiddler links each, TW has to touch them, for no good reason, just wasting time.

If loading your tab content is slow, imo there is a different problem. ... We also have to define, what slow is, for you?

have fun!
mario

Mark S.

Jul 18, 2017, 10:36:25 AM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
But there's no retain setting for the tabs macro, which is how most people are going to get tabs. I suppose the default is not to retain? That seems likely since performance suffers when you have a long list of recent files opened (I hacked mine to keep the list short).

Thanks,
Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 18, 2017, 12:41:45 PM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario & Mark S.

I think mine is an interesting, though possibly not uncommon, case.

It is only ONE tab I need to be "kept fresh". Yes, its dynamic content is a weight on the TW, but its actually really all that wiki is centrally about, so its not really an issue.

I'd rather not have to spend 3-6 seconds waiting for it to load every time I navigate back to it since I am constantly going in and out of it.

I have absolutely no idea how to achieve a "retain" for that tab though.

Best wishes
Josiah

PMario wrote:
Ahh, OK .. That's the "retain" setting from the reveal widget: http://tiddlywiki.com/#RevealWidget

If you set retain to yes, it will keep the stuff in the browser DOM. .. It's faster to display, ... BUT ... it also takes part in the TW refresh cycle.

We also have to define, what slow is, for you?

PMario

Jul 18, 2017, 1:34:55 PM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 6:41:45 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I'd rather not have to spend 3-6 seconds waiting for it to load every time I navigate back to it since I am constantly going in and out of it.

hmmm, If loading of a tab takes 3-6 seconds, that's bad ... There's probably something wrong.

How many tiddlers do you show in the tab??
How many content tiddlers (not shadow) does the TW have.
Anything big in it? eg images, jpgs > 500k in size and many of them?

How old is the PC?

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 18, 2017, 2:26:07 PM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

Once it loaded its fine and responsive. The PC is 5 years old but very powerful (I edit film on it).

I think its only because its a very complex tranclusion with lots of in-tiddler dynamic filters and interactive elements that it can take a while to load. the specific tab is Thomas Elmiger's ToDoNow which I am pushing to the edge with over 500 entries (Tiddlers). As I say, once loaded, its fine.

If I could keep it loaded it would help.

Best wishes
Josiah

Mark S.

Jul 18, 2017, 6:01:04 PM7/18/17
to TiddlyWiki

You can try the attached and see how it works. After importing  Invoke like:

<<tabs tabsList:"[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/SideBar]]" state:"$:/oregon" retained:"[[$:/core/ui/SideBar/Recent]]">>

The caveat is that the 'retained' filter must be a subset of the main filter (in this case it is a single tiddler).  I *think* it made a difference on my system, but really the 'recent' tab wasn't quite big enough to put a load on the system.

All standard disclaimers applied. Only used once by a little old lady (MacKenzie or something) on a Tuesday.

Good luck,
Mark
macros_tabs.json

Mark S.

Jul 25, 2017, 10:34:03 AM7/25/17
to TiddlyWiki
Did you try it? Did it make a difference?

Thanks,
Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 25, 2017, 10:57:49 AM7/25/17
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Mark S.

YES it helped.

I actually went a different way in the end (for other reasons) so it never, now, needs be a tab.

I really should have come back and said "it worked". It did.

So, belated thanks.

Josiah