Favorites plugin: new update 3.1.0

Mohammad

Dec 17, 2019, 2:25:46 PM12/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Announcement: Favorites plugin
Date: Dec 17, 2019
Release: 3.1.0

Favorites Plugin

17th December 2019 at 10:41pm

Tiddlywiki5.1.17+

LicenseMIT

Release3.1.0

Statusstable

Intro

How to use

The Favorites plugin adds the  button to the tiddler view Toolbar and also the Favorites tab to the sidebar.

The button becomes red when selected and then the tiddler appears in the list on the Favorites tab. The list can be sorted using drag and drop of items.

A tiddler can be removed from the Favorites tab by either

  • opening it and clicking again on the  button. or
  • click on remove button in Favorites list on the sidebar

Credits

All credits goes to Andrew Harrison who originally developed the favorites plugin

Install

Packaged plugin
  1. Drag and drop $:/plugins/kookma/favorites into your wiki
  2. Save and reload your wiki
Client-Server installation (separate files)

It is highly recommended to backup your data before trying any new plugin! Do it before installing Favorites

History

Release 3.1.0

  • Dec 17th, 2019
  • [NEW] distributed as packaged and plugin folder under Node.js
  • [NEW] on mouse hover on items in side bar the title of tiddler is shown. This is useful when tiddler has caption and its title is not shown
  • [NEW] remove button for non-existent favorite items in Favorites list on the sidebar

Release 3.0.12

  • Nov 1st, 2018
  • released by Mohammad Rahmani
  • [NEW] favorite icons
  • [NEW] caption for sidebar tab
  • [NEW] minor issue fixed

Release 3.0.5

Mohammad

Dec 17, 2019, 2:46:58 PM12/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Important note:
 If you have favorites 3.0.12 installed on your wiki! please remove it before upgrading to 3.1.0

Good luck
Mohammad

TonyM

Dec 17, 2019, 4:50:31 PM12/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad

Thanks for iterating this key plugin.

Can I ask if you can tell me what the difference is if rather using the folder version I drop the single file plugin on a node hosted wiki? I am sure I should already understand the full consequences how ever I think if we present alternative distributions we should explain the pros and cons of each.

thanks and love your work
Tony

Mohammad

Dec 17, 2019, 10:50:30 PM12/17/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony!
I think the difference is the same as single file TW versus Node.js wiki folder!
packaged versus individual file per tiddler.
also for collaboration on GitHub individual files is the preferred choice.

--Mohammad

TonyM

Dec 18, 2019, 12:57:51 AM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad

Thanks for your quick response but I still do not understand the difference between dropping a single tiddler plugin on a file wiki and dropping it on a node which would save it as a tiddler file anyway and the package dropped in the file system unless that is a shared plugin folder such as on bob?

Basicaly why bother with the underlying file system when a running tiddlywiki file or server will include a dropped plugin as needed.

Please forgive my ignorance on this detail.

Tony

Mohammad

Dec 18, 2019, 3:45:19 AM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Server seems keep it as a .tid or .json (packaged one) and does not extract it as a plugin folder!
By the way Jeremy or other developer may explain this better than me.

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 18, 2019, 4:26:43 AM12/18/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> Can I ask if you can tell me what the difference is if rather using the folder version I drop the single file plugin on a node hosted wiki? I am sure I should already understand the full consequences how ever I think if we present alternative distributions we should explain the pros and cons of each.

When using TiddlyWiki on Node.js in the client server configuration there are actually two wikis running, one in the browser and one on the server, communicating via HTTP.

The wiki running under Node.js will only process plugins loaded via the tiddlywiki.info file, or directly from the command line.

Tiddlers in the wiki itself that happen to contain plugins will not be processed as plugins by the server wiki, they'll just be treated as ordinary tiddlers.

However, when the server packs those tiddlers up into a TiddlyWiki HTML file for the browser, the plugin tiddler will be packed into the file in the usual way, and then will be loaded normally by the browser wiki.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 18, 2019, 4:30:08 AM12/18/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> The wiki running under Node.js will only process plugins loaded via the tiddlywiki.info file, or directly from the command line.

I should have added that Node.js will also load plugin folders from the "plugins" subfolder of a wiki folder.

Best wishes

Jeremy

TonyM

Dec 18, 2019, 6:23:26 AM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry,

I did not want to high Jack the thread. But I thought this info important for mohammadss different releases. I understand this may have a reason but surely we could get dropped plugins to be saved into the node required locations to bring these behaviors inline. It seems an unnesasary complication. I did not notice so much because I tend to install my own macros a lot. It seems a bridge too far for a user moving to a folder wiki.

This possibly explains some odd behavior I have experienced with no messages.

I will revisit this for myself but can we build a solution to bring them inline?

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 18, 2019, 7:10:49 AM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mohammad

Very nice to be reminded you did this evolution of Harrison's original!

Just FYI, I thought it worth mentioning Thomas Elmiger's variant on "bookmarks" which uses a "side marker" in an interesting way ...

His approach is to integrate it into his "MyStory" plugin which makes sense since bookmarks (& favourites) are part of "bespoke navigation."

Just thought you might be interested to see it.

Best wishes
TT

Mohammad

Dec 18, 2019, 9:14:58 AM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Josiah,

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 3:40:49 PM UTC+3:30, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Mohammad

Very nice to be reminded you did this evolution of Harrison's original!

I actually have some minor release last year and during 2019 and I was in contact with Andrew
Personally I believed I needed a written permission to improve and republish it and he kindly granted this permission!

Just FYI, I thought it worth mentioning Thomas Elmiger's variant on "bookmarks" which uses a "side marker" in an interesting way ...

His approach is to integrate it into his "MyStory" plugin which makes sense since bookmarks (& favourites) are part of "bespoke navigation."

Just thought you might be interested to see it.

I am very interested in simplicity and keeping the nature of addons very close to original Tiddlywiki (officially distributed).
I will take a look to see how I can get ideas from Thomas work! He has developed great tools and plugin for TW5.
I will soon push the next update supports delete and export favorites.

--Mohammad

Mohammad

Dec 18, 2019, 9:17:29 AM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks Jeremy!
This clarified why some people insisted to publish plugin folder!
Of course I noticed I forgot to publish the plugin.info

Best wishes
Mohammad

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 18, 2019, 12:39:00 PM12/18/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

> I did not want to high Jack the thread. But I thought this info important for mohammadss different releases. I understand this may have a reason but surely we could get dropped plugins to be saved into the node required locations to bring these behaviors inline. It seems an unnesasary complication. I did not notice so much because I tend to install my own macros a lot. It seems a bridge too far for a user moving to a folder wiki.
>
> This possibly explains some odd behavior I have experienced with no messages.
>
> I will revisit this for myself but can we build a solution to bring them inline?

It's done the way that it is to make it easier to keep the server secure. TiddlyWiki is designed to support scenarios where the server isn't under the control of the end user (as with e.g. TiddlySpot). In that scenario you wouldn't want browser users to be able to run arbitrary plugins on the server.

Best wishes

Jeremy

> Regards
> Tony

Thomas Elmiger

Dec 18, 2019, 3:55:11 PM12/18/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad and Josiah,

It helps me a lot to sharpen my ideas, when I look at similar solutions from other authors. So here are some inputs from my experience and thinking from the development of my own plugin.
  • Icons: I like the heart, but the difference between active and passive might be too subtle (think of "colorblind" people or people with low vision who need high contrast). Idea: filled hart for active state.
  • Icons: A close icon comes with the core ($:/core/images/close-button), why does the plugin use it’s own times.svg?
  • Removing items: Why is removing in the sidebar for deleted tiddlers only?
    • Documentation: this behaviour is not clear from the readme
  • License: A bit short ;-)
Nice things:
  • sortable favorites list
  • use caption, show title on hover (my plugin does the same)
  • simple and small footprint
All the best,
Thomas

TonyM

Dec 18, 2019, 10:19:19 PM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy

Thanks for that. I understand on a team or public server that prohibiting plugin installation makes sense. However we often use server implementations for saving. Could we have an overide for this for local access situations?

I will add this to my related thread.

Tony

Mohammad

Dec 18, 2019, 11:22:07 PM12/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Thomas,
 May thanks for your comments!

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 12:25:11 AM UTC+3:30, Thomas Elmiger wrote:
Hi Mohammad and Josiah,

It helps me a lot to sharpen my ideas, when I look at similar solutions from other authors. So here are some inputs from my experience and thinking from the development of my own plugin.
  • Icons: I like the heart, but the difference between active and passive might be too subtle (think of "colorblind" people or people with low vision who need high contrast). Idea: filled hart for active state.
I am very interested to use TW theme and color palates. So every user can decide on the colors he/she likes.
  • Icons: A close icon comes with the core ($:/core/images/close-button), why does the plugin use it’s own times.svg?
That is right! I will switch to close button from core!

  • Removing items: Why is removing in the sidebar for deleted tiddlers only?
    • Documentation: this behaviour is not clear from the readme
That's true! actually favorites does not use tag or filed but it uses a list field in a separate tiddler to keep track of all those tiddlers added to favorites.
then if you delete a tiddler its name still present in the list filed of mentioned tiddler and one has to manually delete this in sidebar.
I do not want to have both the heart icon and the tag nor the extra field.

side note: It seems TW itself has no mechanism for this. For example if you have 5 tiddlers all tagged with xx, reorder them using the tag pill and then delete one of them
no open the xx tiddler and look at the list field you see deleted tiddler still is there!! until you reorder them again!

  • License: A bit short ;-)
Thanks, this is a mistake:-) I will add the license
Nice things:
  • sortable favorites list
  • use caption, show title on hover (my plugin does the same)
  • simple and small footprint
I added to new release (will be available soon)
  • delete favorites
  • export favorites

All the best,
Thomas

Thanks again Thomas

--Mohammad

Chuck R.

Dec 19, 2019, 12:07:21 PM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammed, this is great! You must be some kind of genius.
:)

pack...@gmail.com

May 15, 2021, 12:41:20 AM5/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

I'm using your favorite plugin and it's great. However, I found that if I change the toolbar button style (under ControlPanel>Settings) to "Rounded", then the heart icon appears very dim (almost invisible) when it's not activated
fav-icon.png

Is there anyway to fix this?

Best,
Pak

Mohammad Rahmani

May 15, 2021, 1:23:06 AM5/15/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pack,
 It seems you use the Zettelkasten edition from Soren! Check with Soren to see what the CSS for buttons is!
 The Favorites work with both dark and light color palettes in Tiddlywiki official!
 By the way, lets see what Soren thinks! I will be happy to help!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Odin

May 15, 2021, 1:29:30 AM5/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Pak,

You can adjust the colour in this tiddler:  $:/plugins/kookma/favorites/styles/image.css

The values on the first line are the ones you want to change. You can look up the hex value of the colour in the palette you are using, i.e..  Tiddler controls foreground.
The values on the second line change the colour of the icon after pressed.

pack...@gmail.com

May 15, 2021, 2:32:25 AM5/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, I think this is setting in the core.  To see the issue, go to https://kookma.github.io/TW-Favorites/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FControlPanel%2FSettings%2FToolbarButtonStyle (your demo site). Change setting to "Rounded". The heart is still grey while other icons change to white. Perhaps you hardcoded the heart color to be grey?

Odin,  thank you I will try that.

Pak

pack...@gmail.com

May 15, 2021, 2:41:06 AM5/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Editted, after following Odin advice: I changed the first four lines in  $:/plugins/kookma/favorites/styles/image.css   to

.tc-tiddler-controls .notselected .tc-image-favorites-button {
 stroke:  #fff;
 fill:    #fff;
}

and it works, the heart icon has white stroke (same as other icon). But if I switch the button style to "Borderless" the hear icon is gone!

I guess this is the problem of hardcoding the color of the heart icon so it doesn't adapt to the icon theme?

Thank you
Pak

Mohammad Rahmani

May 15, 2021, 5:12:39 AM5/15/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pak and Odin,
Yes, part of coloring is done inside macros! I will have a look and fix it!

Stay tuned!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

May 16, 2021, 12:57:46 AM5/16/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
A new update has been pushed to address the issue with svg color when TW rounded icons are used!

Code and demo

Release 4.5.1

  • May 16th, 2021
  • [NEW] heart svg used for view toolbar button
  • [FIXED] color of svg for Tiddlywiki rounded button style
  • [FIXED] color of svg button on mouse hover

@Pak
Give a try and let me know your feedback.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Pak

May 16, 2021, 1:52:21 AM5/16/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohamad,

I just upgraded to your new version. The icon is fixed now! However I got two heart icons originally
ht1.png

But this can be fixed by unticking the the item "--" in Appearance > Toolbar setting:
ht2.png

That "--" item won't go away though. What do I do to remove it from the list?

Pak

Mohammad Rahmani

May 16, 2021, 2:13:13 AM5/16/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Please do as below

1. open the Plugins tab in $:/ControlPanel
2. click on Favorites plugin and opn its tiddler
3. see which toddler are overwritten
4. delete them (TW will restore the shadow tiddler)

If the problem persists, delete the Favorites and reinstall

Normally this is an issue of overwriting shadow tiddlers and not related to a specific plugin!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

May 16, 2021, 2:19:33 AM5/16/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Pak,
  Please update before doing any deletion!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Pak

May 16, 2021, 4:08:04 AM5/16/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

It's probably caused by me copying your source folder to my original favorite plugin folder (I'm using Node.js). Some files therefore may not be deleted.
Now I deleted the whole folder first and copy the new version and everything is good now.

Thanks! :)
Pak

Mohammad Rahmani

May 16, 2021, 4:37:22 AM5/16/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM Pak <pack...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mohammad,

It's probably caused by me copying your source folder to my original favorite plugin folder (I'm using Node.js). Some files therefore may not be deleted.
Now I deleted the whole folder first and copy the new version and everything is good now.

okay!
I use a powershell script in my case updating my plugins folder (it first remove the folder and recreate it)

Please let me know if the problem persists!