Replacing string

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 23, 2016, 1:44:44 PM7/23/16
to TiddlyWiki
All conventional editors have such an opportunity. Why it not in tiddliwiki?
This feature could be with different options:

  • Only tags
  • In title of tiddlers, including all the fields and links in the text of tiddlers, where there was an old to a new
  • Everywhere (Is it possible to open the TID file in the usual editor and make contextual replacement? What happens?)

To work with hypertext it is so necessary.

RichardWilliamSmith

Jul 24, 2016, 1:28:11 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Sergey,

I agree that this is something to work towards. In my opinion (I'm not a developer, just a dabbler) it wouldn't be too hard to add the functionality, but it's the kind of operation that has quite a high chance of inadvertently breaking the wiki (by potentially changing lots of tiddlers and references all at once) unless it's done very carefully/cleverly - so then it probably becomes quite a challenging problem to think about (cue Jeremy).

Global search and replace in a normal editor will work, as long as you're sure that you're not going to change any of the code too (you can try your search term against a version of your wiki with no content in it, to make sure it doesn't find a hit)

Though I only think of it now, you should also be able to export all your tiddlers as a JSON file, do search and replace on that and then re-import it. That will probably work best.

Regards,
Richard

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 5:19:33 AM7/24/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the advice to be careful. I will not experiment with tiddliwiki in the usual editor. But I hope that at least two options above will be realized. It is very important when you rename tiddlers keep in mind that it acts as a link and manually change incorrectly in other tiddlers.

Regards,
Richard