Help Wanted - TW5 gone too wide

TW Tones

Dec 21, 2020, 5:35:19 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

All of a sudden in a specific tiddlywiki, it has ended up being three times its normal width in my browser. The side bar tabs now all appear on one line rather than wrap.

I just can not find what is causing it.
$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/sidebarwidth  and other shadow tiddlers have being restored to the core values but I still can not find out why?

By zooming out this snapshot shows the problem.
Snag_4246c866.png
See the bottom scroll bar?

Any ideas please?

Tones

coda coder

Dec 21, 2020, 5:44:20 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Weird. Did you somehow mangle the class applied to the tabstrip? Or its container?

Mat

Dec 21, 2020, 5:54:07 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Did you use the inspector tool to track which class is applied? Then you can search for this class name. Or other styles. Should give some clues at least.
<:-)

TW Tones

Dec 21, 2020, 7:49:16 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
coda coda,

I think the tab strip just fills the available space, and wraps when full, somehow there is too much available space.

Thanks and Regards
Tones

coda coder

Dec 21, 2020, 9:06:06 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Try walking through the settings in ControlPanel/Appearance/Theme Tweaks/Sizes, one by one. There some internal settings that appear to be recalculated when this values change (though I'm not certain what they are specifically).

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 22, 2020, 7:01:30 AM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki Group
It may not be the problem here, but the easiest way to recreate the screenshot is to add the property "white-space: nowrap;” to the class "tc-sidebar-tabs-main”.

Best wishes

Jeremy

TW Tones

Dec 22, 2020, 8:49:35 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

No luck yet. I observe however that;
  • If I close the sidebar, the tiddler width expands to fill the overwide space
  • With the side bar visible the tiddler width returns and its the side bar that is too wide.
  • With menu bar active it stretches the whole width
  • I have no edited theme tweak size settings
  • I cant find  tc-sidebar-tabs-main referenced anywhere except in  tc-sidebar-tabs-main
  • Page template is unaltered
I will keep searching;

Tones

David Gifford

Dec 22, 2020, 10:05:17 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
I read "TW5 gone too wild" and was thoroughly disappointed by the actual topic of this thread.

TW Tones

Dec 22, 2020, 10:29:04 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ha Ha,

It can never be too wild :)

Tones

coda coder

Dec 22, 2020, 10:33:45 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony

tc-sidebar-tabs-main should be in `$:/core`.

If you're convinced that making changes in ControlPanel/Sizes has no effect, then I'd have to suspect a corrupt class somewhere in that part of the dom. If you have a similar wiki, (or, indeed empty.html) load them both and bring up the DevTools Inspector looking at both sidebar tabs and check for difference between their respective styles.

I still think your solution will come from CP/Sizes. I know they can get thrown on rare occasions. If I walk through them (set to 0, then back to original) "something" kicks in and fixes the layout. Background to that: I use a couple wikis stretched across three monitors, so I have a very unconventional layout, and on the occasions when it goes awry, fiddling with those always fixes it - though in my case, it's the story river that explodes across the screen.

TW Tones

Dec 22, 2020, 11:13:34 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Codacoder

Thanks for your help. It is also the   "the story river that explodes across the screen" for me when I close the sidebar.

The control panel sizes you refer to is controlPanel > Appearance > Them Tweaks > Sizes.

The SideBar width was unaltered and all other sizes, but while I was trying your suggestion I discovered the solution!
  • Somehow FireFox had a bug in it, opening the wiki in a separate tab it did not have a problem.
  • The Tab was pinned in FireFox and somehow a miss-setting remained stored in that tab, despite browser restarts and wiki reloads.
  • I remove and closed the pinned tab, loaded the wiki in a new tab and pined that.
Thanks all for you help, Happy festive season.

Tones

coda coder

Dec 22, 2020, 11:21:04 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 10:13:34 PM UTC-6 TW Tones wrote:
  • The Tab was pinned in FireFox and somehow a miss-setting remained stored in that tab, despite browser restarts and wiki reloads.
Which suggests Ctrl+F5 or a cachebuster may have fixed it, too.

Glad you got it fixed.