Editing TiddlyWiki files on Android

Luís de Sousa

Jul 9, 2018, 2:24:22 PM7/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

I am new to TiddlyWiki, I appreciate very much its technology agnostic paradigm and am convinced it is the right tool to manage my notes. I also need to access my notes from both my computer (Linux) and my phone (Android).

I have successfully created Wiki files with Firefox and TiddlyDesktop on my computer, that are then automatically synchronised to a ownCloud server. On my phone the ownCloud client synchronises these files correctly and I am able to open them with the browser. However, I am unable to edit the Wiki files with either Firefox or Chrome on the phone.

How can I edit on Android these TiddlyWiki files synchronised from ownCloud?

Thank you.

Mark S.

Jul 9, 2018, 3:10:08 PM7/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
My solution, but may not work on newer phones, is to run the AndTidWIki app. (well, I'm using dropbox and not ownCloud). You click on the file and then choose AndTidWiki to run.

Good luck,
-- Mark

Raymond McDowell

Jul 10, 2018, 1:34:32 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
My solution---sadly--was to move to another solution. After several months of trial and error research I chose Orgzly combined with org-mode in emacs. Although emacs has a steep learning curve just as TW does, perhaps even moreso, I'm using the same learning methodology I did with TW. Learning as I go. For the time being, it's got me back on track, working on and offline, in windows and on android. I keep looking at the TW forum and site to see if some magical solution is developed, but for me at least, this appears to bee what works.

FrD

Jul 10, 2018, 3:41:57 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis,

I'm using WebDAV serveur (here) to edit TWs on my android phone. My TWs are stored on Dropbox and synced with my phone via the dropbox app..
It works fine and should work with owncloud. Or at least it's worth a try.

Regards

FrD

Luís de Sousa

Jul 10, 2018, 5:27:27 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark, thank you for your reply.

Could you please provide more details to your answer? When I tap on a HTML file AndTidWiki does not appear as an option in the "open with..." menu.

Thank you.

Luís de Sousa

Jul 10, 2018, 5:36:00 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi FrD, thank you for the reply.

I installed WebDAV server and fired it up. I am able to access if from the browser and navigate to the ownCLoud folder, however, if I open a TiddlyWiki file the behaviour is the same as opening it directly in the browser (i.e. buttons do not work).

Regards.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 10, 2018, 7:59:05 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
You may find this thread useful: March Of The Androids. Its a discussion of several users experience of Android and covers some of the ways you can use. It does not cover ownCloud, but is useful, I think, in gaining perspective, even if not a providing a full solution.

Best
Josiah

LDL

Jul 10, 2018, 8:05:19 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
I have the same problem on Android 8.0. The AndTidWiki application is quite old and even if working correctly with local folders and files it's not detected by the system as a possible candidate to view the html files and so it's not shown in the open with dialog of many file-sync apps (I tried box and onedrive). On Dropbox it appears as a candidate, but then gives another error, probably related to the way Dropbox handles the internal storage.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 10, 2018, 8:14:20 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Just an FYI There is a small user group for AndTidWiki  that might be worth looking at to see if its got other clues about the apparent Android 8 problem.

I can't find it off hand. The developer does respond, but slowly, from what I remember when I read it some months ago.

Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 10, 2018, 8:32:29 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
UPDATE:  -- the link to the developer's site is not currently resolving: http://mgsimon.de/android/andtidwiki/ so can't check to read the user group.

                -- the last revision date is reported as variously in 2013 and 2015.

It sounds very much like its broken on Android 8.

Josiah

Mark S.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:02:24 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
I don't suppose the code was ever made public?

I'm pretty sure all it needs is some replacement permissions. Starting around 4.2 Google started enforcing various permission restraints (this was disastrous for some uses).

AndTidWiki probably needs to have the new permissions. It also probably needs to present itself as an editor rather than just as an HTML viewer in order for Google Dive and ownCloud to work.

-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 10, 2018, 10:21:21 AM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

Thanks for the reply. Its useful info.

As far as I understand it, at the moment, the code is proprietary as the developer had two production versions. A version with ads, free. And a paid for version, ads free.

Since I can't access the support group I wrote him an email asking him if he still intends to support its development. I need give him some time to reply.

Josiah

FrD

Jul 10, 2018, 4:35:27 PM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis,

if you really use the webdav server, the url looks like :

http://localhost:8080/Android/data/...

Is it the case ?

Regards

FrD

FrD

Jul 10, 2018, 4:49:46 PM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis,

Some more words.
You need to find where the local copies of the files you synchronize are, and then to choose in the webdav parameters the root directory.
In my case (dropbox), I chose SdCard (internal memory) as root directory for webdav.
My dropbox synchronized files are in SdCard : Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/...

Then in Chrome I typed the url to the directory where my files live :
I keep this tab open and when I want to open or edit a TW in this directory, I press ot the file link and open  it in another tab (after having launched webdav).

Hope this helps.

Regards

FrD

TonyM

Jul 10, 2018, 7:43:28 PM7/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Just a quick word to mention three other methods to use tw5 on Android,

  • If you always have data or primarily use in on the LAN accessing TiddlyWiki hosted elsewhere or off your computer is good (Bob, TiddltServer and as yet un-demonstrated to me TiddlyDesktop) or vanila nodeJS
  • Installing a Termux and node JS on your Android (a little fiddly)
  • Using the NoteSeff app,
    • No Counch DB - new tiddlers are stored in local browser, so you may need to export them to transfer
    • With Couch DB - the tiddlers are maintained in an external DB
  • Others already mentioned here
I am yet to determine if their is an ideal way, but since I currently build tools for myself I like the termux nodeJS method and more often access the wikis from my desktop to do lots of work, the mobile when I find myself off computer.

Regards
Tony

Luís de Sousa

Jul 11, 2018, 2:41:12 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi again FrD,

I am able to point the browser to the correct location through the WebDAV server. However, the browser then opens the file itself, which of course is pointless.

Thank you.

Luís de Sousa

Jul 11, 2018, 2:56:40 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Mark et al.,

I went to great strides trying to get AndTidWiki going, but it is designed in such a way that is simply unusable. For instance, by forcing file storage in the sdcard, it makes impossible the creation of a symlink to a synchronised folder.

Since it is not open source, and has lacked maintenance for five years, my advice to the community would be to drop it from list of supporting applications.

Cheers.

Luís de Sousa

Jul 11, 2018, 2:57:22 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi TonyM,

thank you for your message. My conclusion, after three days of experiments, is that TiddlyWiki is not actually usable on Android at this point. With a good deal of effort it is possible to edit a TiddlyWiki file on Android, but in such cases synchronisation is entirely manual. For TiddlyWiki to be fully usable we would need either a browser extension or a TiddlyWiki editor application. Without such asset it is just too complex (and risky).

I am now using Markor, that perfectly meets my needs. Markor also seems to be a good basis to fork into a TiddlyWiki editor.

Best wishes to the project.

Luís

FrD

Jul 11, 2018, 3:15:51 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis,

First you start the webdav server.
Then you have to type yourself the address (http://localhost:8080/... etc) in the address bar of your browser, at least for the directory where your local files live.
That's the cumbersome part as the path to the directory is often a bit complicated !
That way the directory is served by the webdav server.
Then by clicking on a link of a TW, the file opens in the browser ; the file is also served by the webdav server. Or you press on the link and choose "open in a new tab". It's a better way as you keep your tab with your directory always open.

Regards

FrD

FrD

Jul 11, 2018, 3:56:26 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis,

The method in my previous message is not very smart ! You'd better use the webdav server for what it's meant to do :
- start the server
- choose the root directory (SdCard for me)
- open a new tab in Chrome
- type http://localhost/8080/ in the address bar
- navigate through the directory structure until you find your local files (you'd better locate them before of course !)

Regards

FrD

tony

Jul 11, 2018, 4:15:36 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis

Sorry for the belated reply.

I'm glad you found a workable solution and shared it.

Another possibly should you reconsider: https://github.com/pmario/file-backups

pmario's file-backups extension works for me on Android 7.1.1 with a standalone TiddlyWiki html file running FireFox.

The key is to place the file a directory in the Downloads directory. My example path is file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/myWikis/wiki.html

Serial backups are made on save, I unset autosave to save hardware sd card wear and tear.

The file can also be synced with apps like AutoSync https://metactrl.com/

Unfortunately, like you, I found my handheld performance lacking in usability and use termux with VimWiki as a primary capture tool.

TiddlyWiki still works and used for 1 off notes when I use Firefox

Best,
tony

TonyM

Jul 11, 2018, 7:25:25 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

You are welcome to your view but I have found it quite usable, although honestly I have a preference for my desktop at this time because I am building tools to make tiddlywiki a rapid development platform. I have explored all the possibilities including mobile, especially andriod and belive we have all we could need. So I find it hard to agree with you.

True I already have plans to build what I need to make noteself import export changes.

I will be happy to share going forward.

TonyM

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 11, 2018, 9:22:59 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark, Luis et al.,

I received a reply from the developer of AndTidWiki about his intentions for its future development. He replied ...

"currently I do not plan to update AndTidWiki"

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 11, 2018, 10:11:41 AM7/11/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
TonyM

I think Android is important to be able to run & save TW in a simple straightforward way. It is the most widely used OS on anything mobile. And its more significant than desktop overall.

Just a comment
Josiah

Mark S.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:38:40 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
I don't suppose he's willing to release the source ... or sell it?

-- Thanks

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 11, 2018, 11:06:19 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
I replied to him asking broadly about access to the code, one way or another. I haven't had a reply yet.

J.

Stobot

Jul 11, 2018, 12:41:46 PM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
It's really a shame that more people don't have access to what I believe the easiest setup is by far - .aspx on SharePoint/Corporate OneDrive. Just because I renamed the .html to .aspx and store it in the corresponding document library I've never had to worry about browser or browser version, servers, savers or even mobile. Every browser on both my Windows computers or Android phones edit and save flawlessly. I believe this is because of WebDav is used behind the scenes, but WebDav alone seems to be not the only contributing piece.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 11, 2018, 12:53:55 PM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Stobot

I think the issue is "packaging." Users (not just techies, anyone) need a simple enough procedure/explanation that will work cross browser.

I'm sure if there were ONE method that worked universally well; that was easy to set-up with a decent tutorial it would gain traction.

Josiah

Mark S.

Jul 11, 2018, 2:00:17 PM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
I guess this is a feature limited to the corporate edition? My attempt to view "empty.html" as empty.aspx as a shared file only resulted in a download dialog.

-- Mark

TonyM

Jul 11, 2018, 8:22:54 PM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

A Dedicated library with no checkout requirements may help you there. I started a dedicated Yammer group for this, so if there is a special Interest group on this it can help.

Regrads
Tony

LDL

Jul 12, 2018, 2:59:15 AM7/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello FrD,
thank you for suggesting the webdav method on Android: it works very well and is pretty close to what AndTidWiki was. Probably one of the best options for saving single file wikis on Android.

Josiah, thanks for the info about the destiny of AndTidWiki: let's hope the original developer decides to do something useful with the source code!

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 12, 2018, 6:56:05 AM7/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S., LDL & all

The developer of AndTidWiki, Michael Gustav Simon, replied ...

- the source code won't be made available;

BUT, good news, that ...

-  "I will try to check the file permission issue to support an update in the next weeks" (i.e the main issue on Android v8+)

Mark S. wrote:
I don't suppose he's willing to release the source ... or sell it?

J Mc

Apr 15, 2019, 12:12:13 PM4/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi FrD,
I am using the WebDAV server on my android tablet and phone and it works well with Tiddlywiki.
I am trying to link to PDF files using _canonical_uri field but I can't seem to open the file.
My WebDAV settings point to localhost:8080 and Home Directory of /mnt/sdcard/docroot.
In docroot the file is my file.pdf
If I use a subdirectory such as docroot/pdf or similar setup on ext sdcard the same thing happens.
It may be the path which is the problem as the pdf opens when I link to it in the browser address bar
Can you shed any light on this problem please.
Thanks
J Mc