[TW5] MultiUser plugin should be ready for use now.

Jed Carty

Mar 5, 2018, 4:31:43 PM3/5/18
to TiddlyWiki
I say that after I have been using it for about the past two months. Let me know if you try it out. Also let me know what I should add to the documentation.

What is it?

A plugin for the node version of tiddlywiki. You install it the same way as any other plugin. It adds a new command called wsserver to use instead of the server command when starting a wiki. The ws is for websockets, which like a lot of the things in the plugin should probably be renamed now.

What does it do?

Here is an incomplete list:

- Allow multiple people to use and edit the same wiki (or wikis) simultaneously without overwriting each others changes, and immediately seeing the others changes.
- Server multiple wikis, you can add wikis from within the root wiki (the wiki you start first) or you can list which wikis to serve in the settings file.
- Update wikis immediately based on changes made to the file system
- Restart or shutdown the wiki server from within the wiki
- Run shell commands or scripts from within the wiki

It has recently had a rather large overhaul and can now server as many wikis as you want from a single node process without spawning sub-processes. As a note this means that all the tiddlers from all the wikis are available to the node process and in the future I am going to add what is needed to include the same tiddlers in multiple wikis.
This also means that you only need to have the plugin installed on one wiki, unless you disable the option each wiki served will be served with the necessary plugins even if they are not listed in the tiddlywiki.info file. This lets you serve a wiki like this to edit it and then build it without including the multi-user plugin in the single file version without any changes.

Plans for the future:

- Security to disallow access and editing from unauthorised people
- Finer control over which tiddlers are served to each wiki so you can make custom wikis on the fly that contain parts of other wikis
- A better interface for settings and adding new wikis to be served
- A better interface to create new wikis from inside the wiki
- Better documentation (I have no idea what is needed, I have been using and working on this too much to have a good idea of what it is like for someone who doesn't know how to use it)
- Package tiddlywiki using this plugin as a single executable so it can run without installing node
- Adding support for Dodo to help make federated wikis.

TonyM

Mar 6, 2018, 4:58:48 PM3/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Jed,

Fantastic, I will test at my soonest convenience and take notes that may inform documentation.

Thanks for pursuing this fundamental solution requirement in Tiddly Wiki, next I will need to open my version running on my Synology disk station to the internet so I can engage teams on multi-user wikis.

Thanks Soooo much for your contribution

Tony

Riz

Mar 6, 2018, 7:08:45 PM3/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Great Work!!

Jed Carty

Mar 7, 2018, 3:36:15 AM3/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Tony,

It doesn't have any security or authentication on it yet so I would suggest against putting it out on the open internet unless you have some method of access control in place. And also I have gotten almost no feedback on this so I may be the only person who has tested it. I haven't run into any troubles but make sure to back up your data.

BurningTreeC

Mar 7, 2018, 3:58:08 AM3/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
@Jed

I have gotten almost no feedback on this so I may be the only person who has tested it

No, I'm sorry that it seems like that! I've tested it, too!

With your latest changes I'm not able to use it - either the documentation part is not up-to-date anymore or I cloned an unstable snapshot yesterday evening

The --wsserver option/flag didn't work

I'm very excited about what your plugin offers - I'm just having troubles getting it to run

Simon

Jed Carty

Mar 7, 2018, 6:22:58 AM3/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Oh, yes. It looks like I missed some typos in the install instructions. I should write something to do automated testing for this stuff.

I have rewritten the readme and some other parts so it should work now. If you have an existing wiki that uses this you may have to change the plugin folder name and the tiddlywiki.info file so that the plugin is listed as OokTech/MultiUser.