Preparing for v5.1.16

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 7, 2018, 12:17:18 PM4/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
The release of v5.1.16 is overdue; the good news is that there are a lot of exciting new features:

* Copying to the clipboard
* A new “sortan” filter operator for intuitive alphanumeric sorting
* A new “rotate left” button in the bitmap editor
* Comparison operators for the reveal widget
* Visual diffs available in the edit preview and the import listing
* A hugely overhauled CodeMirror plugin with many new futures, and much better extensibility and customisability
* Many improvements to the TextSlicer plugin, including customisability via declarative JSON rules
* An updated KaTeX plugin to the latest v0.9.0
* The new DynaView plugin for building user interfaces that respond to scrolling and zooming
* Sharper and more readable default fonts

In preparation for the release, I’d be grateful for as many hands as possible to give the prerelease a try:

Please try it with your favourite plugins, or perform a trial upgrade of your personal wikis. Any feedback gratefully received.

If all goes well, we’ll release v5.1.16 in the next few days.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

BurningTreeC

Apr 7, 2018, 12:58:45 PM4/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @Jeremy Ruston ,

the codemirror prerelease demo page is still the old one, can this be changed somehow for these testing days?

Simon

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 7, 2018, 1:05:30 PM4/7/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
the codemirror prerelease demo page is still the old one, can this be changed somehow for these testing days?

Hi Simon

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Has something not built correctly, or did I miss some of your changes?

Best wishes

Jeremy

Simon

BurningTreeC

Apr 7, 2018, 1:08:33 PM4/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Also, a question about the d3.js plugin

It's been updated by @Silverfox  and me over the last weeks ... to the latest v5.0.0

@Silverfox has modified the barwidget and added a circle-pack widget and is developing more widgets

With the updated base and the two widgets, could it be considered for the release, too?

The google groups thread is here

The tiddlyspot page is here

I would prepare a PR

Simon

BurningTreeC

Apr 7, 2018, 1:12:08 PM4/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
the codemirror prerelease demo page is still the old one, can this be changed somehow for these testing days?

Hi Simon

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Has something not built correctly, or did I miss some of your changes?

Best wishes

Jeremy

on the prerelease page there's the link to the codemirror demo which is not the prerelease demo but the old one
I think it's just changing the link to the demo from https://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/codemirror/ to https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/plugins/tiddlywiki/codemirror/ for the prerelease page

Simon

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 7, 2018, 1:14:20 PM4/7/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon
Great, yes, if you can pull together a PR, it would be pretty low risk to merge it before the release.

Many thanks

Jeremy

Simon

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 7, 2018, 1:14:58 PM4/7/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
on the prerelease page there's the link to the codemirror demo which is not the prerelease demo but the old one
I think it's just changing the link to the demo from https://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/codemirror/ to https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/plugins/tiddlywiki/codemirror/ for the prerelease page

Aha, thanks,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Simon

BurningTreeC

Apr 7, 2018, 1:17:48 PM4/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Also, a question about the d3.js plugin

It's been updated by @Silverfox  and me over the last weeks ... to the latest v5.0.0

@Silverfox has modified the barwidget and added a circle-pack widget and is developing more widgets

With the updated base and the two widgets, could it be considered for the release, too?

The google groups thread is here

The tiddlyspot page is here

I would prepare a PR

Great, yes, if you can pull together a PR, it would be pretty low risk to merge it before the release.

Many thanks

Jeremy

It's as good as done, thank you Jeremy!

Arlen Beiler

Apr 7, 2018, 9:26:08 PM4/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

Great to see this coming together. Thank you for all your work on this.

I'm wondering if these two pull requests could possibly be included.

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/3024 - Invoke hook when server starts
 - Adds a hook to the server command so plugins can add routes and websockets without rewriting the server. Both the node server and SimpleServer instance are needed to give maximum extensibility with minimal disruption.
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/2990 - Allow specifying a custom boot path
 - Allows the boot path to be different from boot.js. Useful for compiled executables. Not as important as the first one.

Both of them are slightly more advanced code features, but for someone like me who knows more about boot.js than what widgets are available, these are two that I see as being very useful, and also very simple at the same time.

Also, this line is missing an else. It should be else if, not just if, because otherwise the callback can get called twice. It results in an RSOD anytime there is a 412. Everyone has been running into this who uses the PUT saver with etags.

Thanks,
Arlen

PMario

Apr 8, 2018, 3:36:34 AM4/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
There is an issue from Nov 2016, which contains PRs, that where finished

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2642

2 PRs are still open. ... Please consider them for merging. ...

-m

Ton Gerner

Apr 8, 2018, 6:25:18 AM4/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

I updated the Dutch translation to the latest prerelease.
You can find it at http://tw5dutch.tiddlyspot.com/

Cheers,

Ton

TheDiveO

Apr 8, 2018, 2:08:33 PM4/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

great to see the modularization of CodeMirror, you did a great job! I can finally retire my rather old and odd CM customization in my development TW5s. The new set of CM plugins and the new control panel settings are great!

TheDiveO

BurningTreeC

Apr 8, 2018, 3:38:19 PM4/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @Jeremy Ruston ,

The new data-tiddler-title isn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes or the docs

It can be used to style Tiddlers by title, I think that's a big usability plus and notable

[data-tiddler-title="HelloThere"] { background-color: #333333; }

Simon

Jan Johannpeter

Apr 8, 2018, 7:18:03 PM4/8/18
to tiddlywiki
Hi Simon, Hi Jeremy,
it would be great to be able to style tiddlers by type like
[data-tiddler-type="text/plain"] { background-color: #333333; } text/plain.

Could you make this possible?

Jan

BurningTreeC

Apr 9, 2018, 3:01:09 AM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Simon, Hi Jeremy,
it would be great to be able to style tiddlers by type like
[data-tiddler-type="text/plain"] { background-color: #333333; } text/plain.

Could you make this possible?

Jan

@Jan, you can accomplish that by editing the $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate:

after the data-tiddler-title=... add your data-tiddler-type=...

I think most of the tiddlers won't have any type assigned, that's why I would do it like this:

<$set name="dataTiddlerType" filter="[{!!type}regexp[^$]addprefix[text/vnd.tiddlywiki]]"><div class=<<frame-classes>> ... data-tiddler-type=<<dataTiddlerType>>>

... don't forget to close the <$set> after the closing </div> ... take care that you don't add new lines

Simon

PMario

Apr 9, 2018, 5:10:50 AM4/9/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
--------------- Off Topic warning -------------------------

TLDR;

So having all those discussions and implementations in place, I would suggest to add 1 more thing, to the view template, for ultimate flexibility, without increasing complexity.

 - We have a "color" field to define tag-colors
 - We can have a "class" field that's added to a tiddler and the view tempate like this:
 - You can test this at: http://2737.tiddlyspot.com/

\define frame-classes()
tc
-tiddler-frame tc-tiddler-view-frame $(missingTiddlerClass)$ $(shadowTiddlerClass)$ $(systemTiddlerClass)$ $(tiddlerTagClasses)$ $(userClass)$
\end
\define folded-state()
$
:/state/folded/$(currentTiddler)$
\end
<$vars storyTiddler=<<currentTiddler>> tiddlerInfoState=<<qualify "$:/state/popup/tiddler-info">> userClass={{!!class}}><$tiddler tiddler=<<currentTiddler>>><div data-title=<<currentTiddler>> data-tags={{!!tags}} class=<<frame-classes>>><$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/ViewTemplate]!has[draft.of]]" variable="listItem"><$transclude tiddler=<<listItem>>/></$list>
</
$tiddler></$vars>

I think, this will create the ultimate flexibility about tiddler body styling, in a performant and backwards compatible way.

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:38:19 PM UTC+2, BurningTreeC wrote:
The new data-tiddler-title isn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes or the docs

That's not merged yet. IMO because we couldn't find a consensus, how it should be implemented. ... See link to the discussions later in the post.

And your "data-tiddler-xxxxx" or "data-tiddler-type" example shows, that we may need a more generic solution. ... keep on reading ;)

------------

My initial pull-request had only 1 intention: To fix the "tc-tagged-Working%20with%20TiddlyWiki" problem. ... I think you can see the problem here.

The CSS definition is a bit complicated for spaces. ... BUT imo it is completely broken for languages, that use the Cyrillic or other alphabets.

eg: a tag like: сломанный
would be tc-tagged-%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9

Creating and maintaining these type of CSS rules, imo is a completely broken user experience. My initial PR could nicely fix this issue.

The whole PR consists of about 17 tiddlers, where 16 are documentation about the new possibilities.

ONLY 1 line in the ViewTemplate had to be changed to:

<$set name="storyTiddler" value=<<currentTiddler>>><$set name="tiddlerInfoState" value=<<qualify "$:/state/popup/tiddler-info">>><$tiddler tiddler=<<currentTiddler>>><div data-title=<<currentTiddler>> data-tags={{!!tags}} class=<<frame-classes>>><$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/ViewTemplate]!has[draft.of]]" variable="listItem"><$transclude tiddler=<<listItem>>/></$list>

Discussions can be seen at my 1st and 2nd PR at GitHub. ... Be warned there are 2 "Walls of text"

Especially this post may be interesting: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/3038#issuecomment-349011301
It defines a way to dynamically define a stylesheet, based on any field. ... The problem here is. It may have a negative performance impact. ... see: "may have" ...

If you need special handling for a tiddler with a field: rank and the value: species you can do this:

title: myStyles
tags: $:/tags/Stylesheet

<$list filter="[rank[species]]">
[data-title^="<$view field=title/>"] .tc-tiddler-body {
    column-count: 2;
}
</$list>

And you are good to go.

This is a very similar mechanism as you explained with "data-tiddler-type" ___without___ the need to change the ViewTemplate and the exact same performance characteristic. ...

Conclusion!

If you made it that far ... Go up and read the TLDR;

---------------- OT END -------------------

Have fun!
mario

PS: I'll update my PR. Add data-tags and data-title attributes to the ViewTemplate #3038 and the doc at: http://2737.tiddlyspot.com accordingly.
PPS: tiddlyspot contains the proposed ViewTemplate for further testing!

BurningTreeC

Apr 9, 2018, 5:16:29 AM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
I read the whole thing @pmario

on the prerelease page you can see that data-tiddler-title is already in the viewtemplate

PMario

Apr 9, 2018, 5:24:17 AM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 11:16:29 AM UTC+2, BurningTreeC wrote:
I read the whole thing @pmario
on the prerelease page you can see that data-tiddler-title is already in the viewtemplate

..ok, .. I missed that one ;)

-m

BurningTreeC

Apr 9, 2018, 5:30:52 AM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
@Jeremy Ruston

about the d3 plugin: I think we won't make it in time to adjust the new widgets so that they can be used in a productive way - they're still in a demo-state

We can leave the plugin as it is, or remove the widgets and have just the library updated - adding some infos and links to the readme

Silverfox

Apr 9, 2018, 7:40:16 AM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry I dont have enough time and all the required skills to update it in due time for v5.1.16 release, but I promise I'll go on working on it for next one.
(I just started learning JavaScript, D3 and TW in January... my coding efficiency is still limited)

BurningTreeC

Apr 9, 2018, 8:20:16 AM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry @Silverfox , I didn't want to make you feel forced to act on this

Here I'm just trying to see if it can make it in as it is - it's not worse than the one before, but up to date

TheDiveO

Apr 9, 2018, 1:21:40 PM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
PMario,

does this already cover the case where a title contains quotes? Or does this need some escaping?

Best regards,
TheDiveO

PMario

Apr 9, 2018, 6:33:56 PM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 7:21:40 PM UTC+2, TheDiveO wrote:
PMario,
does this already cover the case where a title contains quotes? Or does this need some escaping?

It can do, what a browser can handle. .. NO TW specific stuff here.

eg: title: aa"aa

CSS:

[data-title="aa\"aa"] {
 border
: 4px solid blue;
}

or

[data-title='aa"aa'] {
 border
: 4px solid blue;
}

-m

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 10, 2018, 5:47:55 AM4/10/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ton, the update is now committed and available on the prerelease.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Abraham Samma

Apr 11, 2018, 8:29:04 PM4/11/18
to TiddlyWiki

Great to see a new version of TW5 coming so soon. Already checking out the pre-release.

BTW Jeremy, I don't know if this has simply been accepted as a given but I sometimes find it tedious to have to deal with long "Internal JS error" messages that overflow beyond the screen in other browsers besides Chrome. There's no way to scroll through the message to get to the form button that closes the error message. I've had to directly modify the way the message is created via the domMaker method to shorten the message to prevent this nuisance. Shouldn't this be something deserving of a more permanent solution? It won't cost more than a few changes in bootjs.

A screenshot of an example in the latest stable version of firefox is attached

Regards.
Screenshot-2018-4-12 μ aarfapad — Maarfapad A Knowledge Management Platform.png

Matthew Lauber

Apr 11, 2018, 10:10:06 PM4/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Could I get the following PRs looked at for inclusion?

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/2988 Adding a <$range> widget that supports all the features of the <input type="range"> element.
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/2982 Modify the is operator to allow multiple types to be specified.

Mohammad

Apr 13, 2018, 4:18:34 AM4/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Is katex on the prerealse is still 0.6?

Look at

The readme still states it is based on katex 0.6!

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 13, 2018, 4:26:26 AM4/13/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mohammad, I’ll correct it,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mohammad

Apr 13, 2018, 5:12:33 AM4/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy!
The highlight plugin may be updated for the latest highlight.js 9.12

Mohammad

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 16, 2018, 7:09:52 AM4/16/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jeremy

Small point. There are references to "TiddlySpace" in the documentation at:

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#TiddlyWiki%20in%20the%20Sky%20for%20TiddlyWeb

  and

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#TiddlySpace

... that maybe should be updated/removed?

  and

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#History%20of%20TiddlyWiki

... maybe updated not to be linked to a TiddlySpace Tiddler?

Best wishes
Josiah

Matthew Lauber

Apr 16, 2018, 10:51:30 AM4/16/18
to TiddlyWiki
Any word on the range widget PR here?  https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/2988

If there's something that needs done with it, I'm happy to add to the PR.

Thanks,
Matt Lauber

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 24, 2018, 3:22:18 AM4/24/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid my progress has been slower for the last 3 weeks than I'd hoped due to suddenly succumbing to something called bursitis of my elbows (which is a medical term for “expert torture administered via the elbows”). Maddening condition for a programmer: typing, using a touch screen or trackpad all induce nerve-shredding agony. It's slowly getting better but I can still only type for short bursts. On the positive side, it's given me some welcome insights into everyday life for people who rely on assistive technologies.

Anyhow, I intend to release 5.1.16 later today unless anyone has any showstopper concerns (I do intend to merge Matt's range widget before the release).

Best wishes

Brady77

Apr 24, 2018, 3:54:36 AM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
I'm really sorry to hear that, Jeremy. Any inflammation that affects the joints area is extremely painful (from my own experience, unfortunately). After weeks of agony I luckily found an effective treatment by combining prescribed "Western" anti-inflammatory drugs with Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs. Should you need some information, drop me a private message. Wish you quick relief.

Petr

PMario

Apr 24, 2018, 3:56:08 AM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 9:22:18 AM UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Anyhow, I intend to release 5.1.16 later today unless anyone has any showstopper concerns (I do intend to merge Matt's range widget before the release).

Hi,

Could you have a closer look at: Add data attributes to ViewTemplate #3209 too?

-m

PMario

Apr 24, 2018, 3:58:13 AM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Most of it is documentation. Only the ViewTemplate contains some changes.
Example can be seen at: 2737.tiddlyspot.com

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 24, 2018, 6:12:15 PM4/24/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Petr

Thanks for the kind words; I’ve dropped you an email privately to take you up on your offer.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On 24 Apr 2018, at 08:54, Brady77 <pe...@huvir.cz> wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that, Jeremy. Any inflammation that affects the joints area is extremely painful (from my own experience, unfortunately). After weeks of agony I luckily found an effective treatment by combining prescribed "Western" anti-inflammatory drugs with Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs. Should you need some information, drop me a private message. Wish you quick relief.

Petr

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 24, 2018, 6:16:49 PM4/24/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I’ve posted another update with the last minute changes proposed today. Please give it a try and let me know of any issues; I now plan to make the release tomorrow,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mat

Apr 24, 2018, 7:18:12 PM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
>issues

Trying out the range widget:

I type in <$range/> in the text field which gives the slider thingy. I.e I don't explicitly state any field.
Pulling the slider to a position totally replaces(!) everything(!) in the current field with the static corresponding value.
This is not what happens when you pull the slider from a <input type="range"> html element, where instead "nothing" happens.

I'm thinking that if "nothing" should happen, then maybe there should be some other default field (e.g "range-value") or that the slider is blocked or something. Or maybe some warning or confirmation request? The most user friendly is probably having a default field.

The existing rangewidget default attribute does not seem to be about this matter.

<:-)

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 12:16:49 AM UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
I’ve posted another update with the last minute changes proposed today. Please give it a try and let me know of any issues; I now plan to makye the release tomorrow,

TonyM

Apr 24, 2018, 8:00:01 PM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Some quick examples to add to the range widget documentation (tested on https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/)

1-10
<$range field=number-field min=-1 max=10 default=1 increment=1 ></$range> {{!!number-field}}

0 to 1 for percentages

<$range tiddler="Settings tiddler" field=number-field min=0 max=1 default=.01 increment=.01 ></$range> {{Settings tiddler!!number-field}}

Ideally all command/widgets should have a "code template" we can copy to clipboard

<$range tiddler="" field="" min=1 max=10 increment=1 default=1 class=""></$range>

Otherwise it is time consuming for the user to build the command

If the commands feature demands it we may present multiple forms of the code template.

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Apr 24, 2018, 8:30:45 PM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Feedback,

Using the CodeMirror plugin I can insert tabs in the text, long desired. However the tabs only show in edit mode, not view mode

Perhaps this is desirable

However if a line has one or more tab characters in it it is not visible yet it is no longer blank and will cause text to move up and join the line before. ie; same paragraph.

This could frustrate a lot of people trying to debug their tiddler view content.

Solutions?, A edit/View mode that shows hidden characters, or honour tabs in view mode such that they also end the paragraph/

Regards
Tony

PMario

Apr 24, 2018, 8:54:33 PM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 2:30:45 AM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
Using the CodeMirror plugin I can insert tabs in the text, long desired. However the tabs only show in edit mode, not view mode

Tabs are __not__ a "styling" element. They are treated as whitespace in HTML.

However if a line has one or more tab characters in it it is not visible yet it is no longer blank and will cause text to move up and join the line before. ie; same paragraph.

That's an issue or feature request. ... I think you could start a new thread for codemirror only. ... It may be possible to create a setting, that shows whitespace, like spaces and tabs ...

This could frustrate a lot of people trying to debug their tiddler view content.

As I wrote. Either create a new issue at github or start a new thread in the group. So it won't be forgotten.

Solutions?, A edit/View mode that shows hidden characters,

Should be possible.

or honour tabs in view mode such that they also end the paragraph/

no .. Only 2 "new lines" ends a paragraph.

If tabs cause a lot of problems, we will need to turn them off for TW wikitext. They are invisible anyway.

Tabs can only be used for json, data tidlers, CSS, SVG and javascript code.

have fun!
mario

TonyM

Apr 24, 2018, 11:09:27 PM4/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,

I hear all you are saying.  On Further consideration.

  • The main need I have for tabs in wiki-text  tiddlers is for structuring information in edit mode so that it is more reasonable to read. I could live with its invisible non line break if in some modes I could see them, and even if not rendered in the View Template.
  • The secondary need I have, which many authors and content provides has is for indent in this case ":" works for this in tiddlywiki (although on my keyboard it is a shift-: and you have to place ":::" at the beginning of a line not while you are typing.
  • The final need is to organise text in simple columns, this is when it is displayed as well, and its helpful that tab"text" moves it to the next tab position.
A work around for this last items would be
|*|Item|detail|
|*|Item 2|detail|

if I could easily make the table boarders disappear.

Regards
Tony

PMario

Apr 25, 2018, 3:57:23 AM4/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

I can "hear you" ... but it's OT here. That's why I moved this discussion to its own thread: discussion: codemirror editor and improved indentation handling

have fun!
mario

Jed Carty

Apr 25, 2018, 6:31:48 AM4/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mat,

That is the same problem that an empty textedit widget has, and I think the select widget too. So it isn't unexpected. Unfortunately I am not sure what to do to fix it since defaulting to the text field and current tiddler is used a lot in tiddlywiki and changing that in general would break a lot.

I just noticed that the checkbox widget doesn't have this problem so I guess there is some precedent for it. I am not sure what the checkbox widget does when no attributes are given.

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 25, 2018, 9:35:50 AM4/25/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tony, I’ve added your examples for v5.1.16,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jed Carty

Apr 25, 2018, 10:10:44 AM4/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
On the prerelease I am listed as @inmysock instead of @inmysocks so it points to a non-existent GitHub user. As much as I enjoy that I should probably change it. Is it easier for you if I make a pull request with the change?