Search of accented words

Philippe Renders

Aug 27, 2015, 3:51:09 PM8/27/15
to TiddlyWiki
Users of my TW5 come up with the fact that the search of non accented words are not returning results.

As internet search websites are correcting that, they tend to type 'ecole' by example without accent instead of 'école' (thank you Google).

Is there a solution ?

Maybe here ?
http://patisserie.keensoftware.com/en/pages/gerer-les-accents-dans-les-recherches-textes

Mark S.

Aug 27, 2015, 6:39:33 PM8/27/15
to TiddlyWiki

A search that had to first convert every single tiddler to to non-accented words would really bog down the search, IMO.

I'm thinking a better way would be to modify the saving mechanism of the edit tiddler so every time a tiddler was saved it would go through the contents, change all accented words to unaccented, compile a list of unique words that have been made unaccented, and append them either at the bottom inside comment tags or inside a special "accented" field. This would only add a fraction of a second to the saving process. Obviously this would only happen in systems where people had opted to create unaccented search text.

The search process would then know to check the "accented" field when doing a search for deaccented (?) text. The actual size of the TW would only be bloated by number of words that had been deaccented, which presumably be a small subset of the total, so the search would still be very fast.

Mark

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 11, 2015, 11:38:31 AM9/11/15
to TiddlyWiki, Philippe Renders
Hi Philippe

Apologies for the delayed response

Users of my TW5 come up with the fact that the search of non accented words are not returning results.

Thanks for raising this, I'm afraid I hadn't previously thought it through, but of course it would be a problem.

As Mark suggests, one obvious solution would be to build some kind of dynamic indexing structure around the tiddler store. I wonder if we can't do better with regexps though. I've made a ticket over at github to keep track of this issue:

Best wishes

Jeremy.

mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com