[TW5] Editor toolbar insert picture

Jon

Aug 14, 2016, 6:24:57 AM8/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Can the behaviour of the Insert Picture button be altered so it inserts an external picture rather than one which is already embedded?

Regards
Jon

PMario

Aug 14, 2016, 6:35:54 AM8/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 12:24:57 PM UTC+2, Jon wrote:
Can the behaviour of the Insert Picture button be altered so it inserts an external picture rather than one which is already embedded?

IMO you should not do this. Just import the SVG into TW and use it. There are several sites, that have nice open source svg icons. eg: https://useiconic.com/open and http://www.flaticon.com/packs (Have a look at their license!!!) .. Have a look at the TW core icons, to see how they should look like. see: http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fimages%2Fclone-button

The first line is important here.

<svg class="tc-clone-button tc-image-button" width="22pt" height="22pt" viewBox="0 0 128 128">

You can also use: https://jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/ to make the svg smaller. ... It allows you to strip all redundant content. So your icons are small :)

have fun!
mario

Jon

Aug 14, 2016, 6:57:57 AM8/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, I see - it's only for SVG images. I was thinking it could be used for photos/pictures.

Thanks
Jon

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 14, 2016, 7:03:29 AM8/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the excellent links, Mario! It was not my question, but as I understand it, it meant the function of the button, not it’s look.
Have fun, Thomas

Josiah

Aug 14, 2016, 8:51:12 AM8/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao tutti

Jon highlights a good point.

Its not clear enough. "Insert Picture" is too loose a way to describe it. Its "Insert an image from your TW library".

To be able ALSO to "Embed an external image" easily remains important too.

Best wishes
Josiah

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 15, 2016, 5:04:01 AM8/15/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jon

Can the behaviour of the Insert Picture button be altered so it inserts an external picture rather than one which is already embedded?

You can create external image tiddlers that point to images at an external URL which can then be browsed by the "insert picture" button:

For example, on tiddlywiki.com there are two external image tiddlers:

This technique requires each image to be pre-registered by creating a corresponding external image tiddler, but it does allow visual browsing.

The other use case would be a separate button to prompt for a URL and then insert `[img[URL]]` in the text. I'm not sure that using the button would present much saving over typing the text, though.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Regards
Jon

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 15, 2016, 6:26:33 AM8/15/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon and Jeremy

Just a quick thought: A shortcut for creating external image tiddlers would be nice – then we would have visual browsing access when we want to use the same image again.

Kind regards, Thomas

PMario

Aug 15, 2016, 8:18:53 AM8/15/16
to TiddlyWiki
Jon,

I'm sorry. I did completely misread your question. ... I thought, you want to insert a new button into the toolbar. ... But you where probably talking about the new "edit toolbar: Insert Picture" - button, that shows a list of already imported images, to choose from.

So in this context my answer doesn't make sense. So just ignore it.

-m

Jon

Aug 15, 2016, 3:29:53 PM8/15/16
to TiddlyWiki
No problem, Mario and thanks for the clarification Jeremy.

I suppose I was thinking along the lines of what Thomas has described, i.e. without the need for each image to be "pre-registered" - but perhaps this isn't possible.

Thanks
Jon