Announcing TWITS for data folders!!!

Arlen Beiler

Jul 30, 2018, 3:34:10 AM7/30/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello everyone,

I have worked out a prototype of TiddlyWiki in the Sky for Dropbox that loads data folders. I am eager to hear your feedback on it. It's the same basic idea, so without further ado, here is a link to the page.

It is still in very early beta, so there is no code to save changes yet, but that is part of the plan. There is no code anywhere in the app that makes changes to your Dropbox, so feel free to explore all you want

And here is the Github repo.

https://github.com/twcloud/dropbox-datafolder

Let me know how it works.

Enjoy!
Arlen

Alex Hough

Jul 31, 2018, 12:19:26 AM7/31/18
to TiddlyWiki
Arlen,

I'd like to help test this, Ive got this far:

I am a bit confused... could you explain what happens next. It looks like I am being asked to share my dropbox with you.

Alex

Arlen Beiler

Mark S.

Jul 31, 2018, 10:29:18 AM7/31/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Arlen,

I think the concern is that a 3rd party might be perusing your dropbox directory. I think you've explained before that that doesn't/can't happen?

Thanks!

-- Mark

TonyM

Jul 31, 2018, 8:30:48 PM7/31/18
to TiddlyWiki
As mark says, Arlen should confirm - you are granting access to the Application

Arlen Beiler

Jul 31, 2018, 9:10:17 PM7/31/18
to TiddlyWiki
Dropbox confirms it with the window you attached earlier. I was assuming everyone on this forum is familiar with https://twcloud.github.io/tw5-dropbox/ so I didn't bother to explain.

The whole point of the app is to access your Dropbox and read and write the data folder you select. Sorry for the confusion.

Alex Hough

Aug 1, 2018, 2:11:04 PM8/1/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Arlen

I am using a TW file and it works really well.
I've partnered it with Updog

Its amazing! thank you!

a final question: when you say "data folders" what do you mean?

Alex

Mark S.

Aug 1, 2018, 2:22:24 PM8/1/18
to TiddlyWiki
TiddlyWiki on node (and TiddlyServer) can run with data tiddlers. That is, each tiddler is in it's own file below a common subdirectory and is served up by the tiddlyserver as though it were one single TiddlyWiki. This has some advantages, like instant upgrades, faster load times, and you can (in a pinch) edit using your operating system text edit tools. But it's not as universal or portable as using a single-file TiddlyWiki.

-- Mark

Alex Hough

Aug 1, 2018, 2:32:21 PM8/1/18
to TiddlyWiki
So you could link your node .tid files to dropbox?

I can see the point of running a single file TW .... am i missing the benefit of saving .tid files

Alex

Arlen Beiler

Aug 1, 2018, 2:46:53 PM8/1/18
to TiddlyWiki
There are two main reasons why I store my data folders in my Dropbox. First, syncing my changes to Dropbox is super fast, even on a slow network. Second, changes are saved instantly, including draft tiddlers, which means I never lose work. It feels much more responsive and gives me a sense of security.

However, you still need to use the Dropbox App to sync the changes to Dropbox and TiddlyWiki or TiddlyServer to communicate with the browser. But TWITS for data folders allows me to skip the Dropbox sync and TiddlyWiki and just load it straight from Dropbox. It's more for people who tend to operate from multiple computers, but in the future, it will probably include a multi-user component to it, which my current NodeJS+Dropbox sync configuration basically cannot do.

So that's some of my thoughts.

Mark S.

Aug 1, 2018, 2:46:58 PM8/1/18
to TiddlyWiki

It's interesting, but loading was slow. Maybe 3 tiddlers a second? If I had a 1000 tiddlers that might be too long. I like that it gives you a count while it loads.

-- Mark