TW: enough funding?

Eneko Gotzon

Sep 13, 2016, 8:33:10 PM9/13/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
​Hi all Computerized Minds :)

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Mat <matia...@gmail.com> wrote:
TW community culture rarely touches this matter. Surely the free and open source nature of the project influences this.

(Considering the real –& cruel– world) I was thinking that a well done work, besides recognition and gratitude, also deserves, if desired, monetary compensation—both for justice (giving-giving) and to help developers to satisfy all kind of material needs.

I apologize if this kind of comments disturb the moral of the community.​ I do not want to bother you.

​* Sorry about my English; I'm learning it using my computer.​

​Best wishes.​
--
Eneko Gotzon Ares
eneko...@gmail.com

Jed Carty

Sep 14, 2016, 5:38:07 AM9/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
I am going to answer this for myself, I think that at least some of what I say applies to other developers but I certainly don't speak for all of them.

Unfortunately unless the income can be enough to consistently sustain someone than payment for work on tiddlywiki can't be much more than a nice gesture. For me tiddlywiki is a genuinely interesting bit of technology and I like playing with it, so that is why I do it. There have been some people who have donated to me and while I am very grateful for that, it has totaled about 3 meals at nice cafes here in Paris. How happy getting that made me is far out of proportion to the amount given, but the effect on what I can do is small. Unfortunately because I need to pay rent and eat these donations can't have a big effect on how much work I can put into tiddlywiki unless they are enough to cover all my expenses since I couldn't quit only 10% of my job. So as much as I would love to be able to get paid to work on tiddlywiki I don't think I could accept much more than people have given me because I couldn't make any sort of guarantee that I would be able to actually do more work.

For someone in my position at least there isn't really a way to pay a little bit for a little bit more development. I doubt I am ever going to say no to donations, but I don't really expect them and the amount that would be required for me to be able to put more time into tiddlywiki is probably impractical.