Fission Demo Day

Jeremy Ruston

May 19, 2021, 4:06:40 AM5/19/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been invited to do a brief demo of some new developments at tomorrows Fission Demo Day. Everyone is welcome to join, details are here:

https://lu.ma/13ez2zgs

Boris Mann at Fission is doing a great job of bringing together the communities around tools for thought. I’m enjoying seeing more of what other people are doing in the field. With any luck, one of the tangible outcomes of this meta-community might be improvements to interoperability between tools.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mohammad Rahmani

May 19, 2021, 8:07:30 AM5/19/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Good luck Jeremy!

I will attend hopefully!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Saq Imtiaz

May 19, 2021, 8:09:52 AM5/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for the heads up Jeremy. I had seen this mentioned elsewhere but had confused it with next week's event.

David Gifford

May 20, 2021, 3:55:30 PM5/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
Was the event recorded? I was not able to attend.

ludwa6

May 21, 2021, 4:57:48 AM5/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
So sorry i had to miss this one.  Was intrigued enough by your graphic of "twpub viewer," @Jeremy, to search & retrieve this site, but am not understanding how this connects to Fission, if indeed it does (backend seems to be in Github.io?).  Will be watching for the video to catch up on yesterday's demo, but meanwhile (usually takes a while before those get posted), would love it if we could get a nutshell summary of that integration posted here!

/walt

Saq Imtiaz

May 21, 2021, 5:08:00 AM5/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Video: https://vimeo.com/553095193

Jeremy comes on at 17 minutes in.

The twpub viewer work isn't associated with Fission in any way, just a demo of what Jeremy has been working on in TW.

Jeremy Ruston

May 21, 2021, 5:34:45 AM5/21/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

I will post about it more soon; showing it at the demo day was kind of a sneak peak...

There are two main parts: a Node.js app to convert an EPUB into the TWPUB format, and a TiddlyWiki plugin that provides a user interface for working with them.

The UI part has ended up being a testbed for ideas I've wanted to explore for the TiddlyWiki core for a long time, notably a new framework for handling customisable columns containing different types of story river, and the associated revamp of the navigation mechanism.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

ludwa6

May 21, 2021, 6:21:24 AM5/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks @saq for the pointer!  /walt

ludwa6

May 21, 2021, 6:30:58 AM5/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Wow.  At risk of alienating Ted Nelson, i have to say: this brings all the goodness of Xanadu project (except for royalty payments, which i don't think ever got implemented) into a far more accessible/ portable/ ultimately viable package.  Ground-breaking stuff, @Jeremy (yet again :-).  Thanks for sharing!!

/walt

si

May 21, 2021, 3:52:44 PM5/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
TWPUB looks amazing, I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

@Jeremy I noticed that you didn't get around to answering the question about PDF. Do you have any plans for integrating PDF in a similar way to EPUB, or is this unfeasible?

Pit.W.

May 24, 2021, 8:54:30 AM5/24/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

I am testing the twpub viewer (which looks like it is groundbreaking) as
a downloaded stand-alone-wiki.

In my environment (windows 10, Firefox)

- The library is not accessible from the stand-alone-file
- An epub-file imported by drag-and-drop does not appear in the
repository of the file.

Is this behaviour desired, or a consequence of a (my) flawed system
configuration.

Help appreciated

Pit.W

Ihr Recht auf Privatsphäre. Schützen Sie Ihre Daten und wechseln jetzt zu eclipso Mail & Cloud - https://www.eclipso.de

Xavier Cazin

May 24, 2021, 10:50:24 AM5/24/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pit.W,

In order to read any ePubs with the TWPUB viewer, you have to go through 3 main steps:
  1. Convert your ePubs to the TWPUB format. This format is very close to the usual TiddlyWiki plugin format.
  2. Load the twpub-tools and dynannotate plugins into your Tiddlywiki
  3. Load the converted TWPUB plugins into your TiddlyWiki
Step 1 can currently only be processed through the command line with the latest Node JS installed (as described here: https://github.com/TWPUB/TWPUB-Tools#setup).

Once you've got your ePUBs converted into TWPUB files, step 3 can be achieved through drag and drop on your wiki if the plugin library isn't available. Plugins for step 2 are also draggable from https://twpub-tools.org/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FControlPanel%2FPlugins.

Cheers,
-- Xavier.

Pit.W.

May 24, 2021, 11:07:53 AM5/24/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Dear Xavier,

this saved me a lifetime of futile pondering.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Your

Pit.W