Freelinks

Peter Buyze

Apr 23, 2020, 6:05:22 AM4/23/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
From the readme tab in the plug-in:

Freelinking is activated for runs of text that have the following variables set:

  • tv-wikilinks is NOT equal to no
  • tv-freelinks is set to yes
What does "tv" mean?
Where are these variables set?
What if the 1st one were set to "yes"?

Also from the readme tab:
Freelinks are case sensitive.

Is there a way to make them NOT case sensitive?

Another thing is that Freelinks can only add links on the basis of complete tiddler titles. So if a title consists of more than 1 word, Freelinks will not add a link on the basis of only 1 of those words occurring in a text box. That means that when one adds text to a text box one would have to "accidentally" have the complete multiword combination of a tid title for Freelinks to add the link.

Example:
tid title: Captains of industry

text in a text box of another tid: Tim Cook, Jef Bezos, and Herbert Diess are some of today's captains of industry.

That is the way a normal sentence would be constructed, but Freelinks would not add a link because "captains" is not written with a capital C - Freelinks is case sentive.

For Freelinks to work in this case, my sentence would have to be:
Tim Cook, Jef Bezos, and Herbert Diess are some of today's Captains of industry.

That accidental occurrence is highly unlikely, and if one were to use that combination, chances are one would realise oneself there is a tid with that title, therefore no "surprise" links.

So, to have a better chance for Freelinks to add a link, a tid title would have to consist of 1 word only, and then preferably a word in lower case letters.

I do not raise these questions and issues to knock Freelinks. I think the principle of Freelinks is great, and, after initially disabling it, I re-enabled it today, and even went as far as changing the title of my tag tid titles by prepending an "x" since they are all in lower case and I had lots of false positives because I would really like to use Freelinks.

Am I seeing this the wrong way, am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way Freelinks works, and cannot be customised?

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

TonyM

Apr 23, 2020, 7:51:26 AM4/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Peter,

Your are getting involved in TiddlyWiki. Do keep asking questions, but do also spend some time on tiddlywiki.com and in your own wikis.

Search for tv-wikilinks and click the advanced search button. Look at each tab; You will most likely find your answer.

The shadows tabs will show where this variable may be defined or in use apart from any documentation. You may discover most of tiddlywiki is readable and you can learn a lot from how it does what it does. If you found yourself on a desert island with only empty.html (and a solar energy source) you could continue to lear a hell of a lot.

As they say - Teach a man to fish

I think tv- is for tiddlywiki variables
You can test the results yourself, one is rule out, the other rule in
tv-wikilinks is about standard links like camle case and [[a link]]

Is there a way to make them NOT case sensitive? good idea for an option

Keep in mind if tiddlers are lower case you can display them with caps, title and sentence case if you want. Especially if you want it to be more generic consider tiddlers that define a fragment or phrase use lower case. If something is clearly a title use the correct case eg Microsoft not microsoft. English is your friend.

Regards
Tony

Peter Buyze

Apr 23, 2020, 8:15:26 AM4/23/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
OK Tony, thank you, the message is clear.

23 Apr 2020, 14:51 by anthony...@gmail.com:

PMario

Apr 23, 2020, 1:07:51 PM4/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 12:05:22 PM UTC+2, Peter Buyze wrote:
From the readme tab in the plug-in:

Freelinking is activated for runs of text that have the following variables set:

  • tv-wikilinks is NOT equal to no
  • tv-freelinks is set to yes
What does "tv" mean?

There are 3 types of TW specific name prefixes. tc- for TW core classes, tv- for TW core variables and tm- for TW messages.

tc- and the others are a prefix convention that is _only_ used by the TW "core". This helps us to avoid naming conflicts with plugin authors.

So .. a plugin author can use his/her own naming convention. I use wltc-, wltm- and wltv- ...  for wikilabs class ... This allows me to have the same names for clases that TW uses BUT with a different prefix. ...

-mario

Peter Buyze

Apr 24, 2020, 2:07:20 AM4/24/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Thanks Mario.

23 Apr 2020, 20:07 by pmar...@gmail.com:

springer

May 1, 2020, 3:10:43 PM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

On case-sensitivity for freelinks recognition, I think "English is your friend" is ... misleading. Peter's suggestion, if we could make freelinking (optionally) case-insensitive, freelinks would render virtual links to my tiddler called "pragmatism" even though text in English requires capitalizing pragmatism at the beginning of a word. Pragmatism speaks in favor of (at least an option for) case-insensitivity. ;)

(Typical use-case: pasting in text, needing not to fiddle with it in edit mode. ... Meanwhile if I were to "fix" the problem by modifying freelinks output to display-as-if-capitalized, that would capitalize where it shouldn't, making English look like German. ;) )

Of course, case-insensitivity is only the most low-hanging fruit among ways that freelinks would ideally variations (as specifiable in, say, an alias field).

-Springer

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 7:51:26 AM UTC-4, TonyM wrote:
Peter,

TonyM

May 1, 2020, 8:42:00 PM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Springer,

I understand what you are saying and would support a case insensitive free links.

  • The Point I am trying to make is it is possible to use the rules of english, and I presume other languages to know when to choose the case and if one wants to change it.
  • [[Pragmatism|pragmatism]] I would use the alternate forms in the tiddler in which they are named, and I would choose the tiddler title according to its intended use, perhaps a tiddler defining "Pragmatism" would be capitalised because its a definition.
  • PRAGMATISM should be avoided for example as "shouting" but if you must, If we had an acronym I.B.M. even if at some time one may use [I.B.M.|IBM]]  with the tiddler being IBM its simplest form that indicates it is an acronym.
  • The idea is where the author uses the term should be the final arbiter of the variation used, because that is where the context demands it. However since tiddlers may be used in their own right the title of a tiddler should be appropriate when that tiddler is opened on its own.
  • We also have the caption field for list based title representation alternatives, and the alias or uni-link plugin for other variations. I think if freelinks could also use the defined aliases we would be in nirvana.
  • Codes use such rules to decide how to name objects and variables like always lower case etc... for example I like the idea of converting fields values into variables and visa versa, so my practice is to use the field naming rules in naming my variables, no case except for cases like currentTiddler currentTab currentField etc... which I do not intent to represent in fields or tiddler titles. If you see an internally capitalised variable in my code there is no matching tiddlers or use for alternative cases and matching fields (because fields do not accept case).
  • Also if one expects a particular form of a word to be the most likely I would choose that, and only present it differently when needed, a simple title search can resolve this.
  • All my tasks and Project items can have any name I want it makes no difference, it just appears listed with the new name so I am free to change these free form tiddler titles, fixed links tend to be to tiddlers who's title is unlikely to change.

Once an author adopts these standards they can break them but you rarely need to look for or search for the tiddle,r because you know the correct form to use, and then a copy title button helps.

I too, am keen to have more "title independence" in tiddlywiki, using tags, and relink work well to allow tiddler renames, I have also designed a TiddlerSerial number approach. However of interest to me is I rarely if ever need to rename my titles and if I must it is typically on tiddlers whose name change is tolerated, it it appears in lists for another reason (tag or field). I am still trying to work out what it is in my practices, born from a career in IT and knowledge and Information management so I can pass it on to others.

I hope this furthers the effective use of tiddlywiki.

Regards
Tony

Peter Buyze

May 2, 2020, 12:27:36 AM5/2/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Springer, good point. And to work around the case sensitivity I have made all my tid titles lower case. Lower case is the logical way of writing in the middle of a sentence so it makes a Freelinks "hit" more likely. An option for case insensitivity would be best though.

In addition, the have a higher chance of a hit I have also tried to choose titles that, apart from being an extreme summary of the tid content, are also more in line with the kind of combination of words that is used in natural writing.

1 May 2020, 22:10 by springer...@gmail.com:

Jeremy Ruston

May 2, 2020, 9:16:22 AM5/2/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I’ve just pushed an update that adds an “ignore case” checkbox to the freelinks plugin for v5.1.23.

You can try it out in the prerelease:

Let me know how it goes,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Peter Buyze

May 2, 2020, 11:39:31 AM5/2/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Yep, that works, many thanks for that !!

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

2 May 2020, 16:16 by jeremy...@gmail.com:

springer

May 3, 2020, 7:53:40 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy,

SQUEEE!

Looking forward to trying freelinks with "ignore case". Thanks!!

-Springer

Sylvain Naudin

May 4, 2020, 4:39:19 PM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le samedi 2 mai 2020 15:16:22 UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston a écrit :
I’ve just pushed an update that adds an “ignore case” checkbox to the freelinks plugin for v5.1.23.

You can try it out in the prerelease:

Let me know how it goes,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

I was going to propose to update the readme to indicate that Freelinks wasn't totally case sensitive anymore, but in fact yes?

If I enable the option, and have a "Plop" tiddler, and in another if I write "plop" and "Plop", both will have a freelink, OK that's the option. But "plop" leads to a missing tiddler. Which isn't quite the same as ignoring case (where then I didn't get it).

If the option could be an option on the first uppercase letter, that would be fine for me :)

Sylvain

Jeremy Ruston

May 5, 2020, 11:41:00 AM5/5/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sylvain

I was going to propose to update the readme to indicate that Freelinks wasn't totally case sensitive anymore, but in fact yes?

If I enable the option, and have a "Plop" tiddler, and in another if I write "plop" and "Plop", both will have a freelink, OK that's the option. But "plop" leads to a missing tiddler. Which isn't quite the same as ignoring case (where then I didn't get it).

If the option could be an option on the first uppercase letter, that would be fine for me :)

Apologies, my mistake. Now fixed here:

The update will be available on https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease in 5 minutes or so,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Sylvain

Sylvain Naudin

May 5, 2020, 4:22:30 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le mardi 5 mai 2020 17:41:00 UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston a écrit :

Apologies, my mistake. Now fixed here:

The update will be available on https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease in 5 minutes or so,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Great ! Test-it with success :)

(test uri external url favicon too, work great).

Thanks,

Alexei R

May 10, 2020, 1:39:03 PM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki