Global Tiddler?

Jeff Wilson

Jan 13, 2019, 1:47:30 PM1/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
What's an example of a global toddler? The macro documentation mentions this, but does not define it.

Eric Shulman

Jan 13, 2019, 2:29:34 PM1/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 10:47:30 AM UTC-8, Jeff Wilson wrote:
What's an example of a global toddler? The macro documentation mentions this, but does not define it.

Normally, macro definitions are only available for use within the tiddler in which they are defined.  To make those macro definitions available for use in other tiddlers, you can add a tag, "$:/tags/Macro" to the tiddler containing the definition.  This is what is meant by a "global tiddler".

Internally, this is accomplished by this line within the standard $:/core/ui/PageTemplate:
\import [[$:/core/ui/PageMacros]] [all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/Macro]!has[draft.of]]
which automatically loads any macros defined in the $:/core/ui/PageMacros system tiddler, as well as any tiddlers tagged with $:/tags/Macro

enjoy,
-e

S. S.

Jan 14, 2019, 6:27:15 AM1/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric,

Would the tag $:/tags/Stylesheet - (marks that a tiddler should be applied as a CSS stylesheet) - also be considered a tag that creates a Global Tiddler?
If it is, are there any others - like from the list on SystemTags?

TonyM

Jan 14, 2019, 7:40:44 PM1/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

Given the way TiddlyWiki Works all tiddlers are global, it is macros and style-sheets that become global if tagged with the appropriate tag as per Eric's example.

These tags are used when displaying your tiddlers so that what was contained in the tagged tiddlers applies to your current tiddler.

What I am suggesting, it is incorrect to refer to "global tiddlers", only "Global Macros", "Global Style-sheets" etc...

If you define a macro or include styles in a given tiddler it may replace the global version, with a local version.
In these tiddlers we may say we have a local macro, or local style and they can win over global versions if they exist.

Regards
Tony

Regards
Tony

S. S.

Jan 14, 2019, 11:44:42 PM1/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Tony.

Makes sense when put that way.

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 15, 2019, 11:29:34 AM1/15/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The reference to “global tiddler” was a mistake  in the tiddler “ Concatenating text and variables using macro substitution”:

Create a macro either at the top of the tiddler or in a global tiddler (see Macros) like this:

I’ve updated the text to remove that reference, and you should see the updated version here shortly: