Search your wiki from Google Sheets

A Gloom

Jul 17, 2019, 3:01:09 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Insert this in one of your sheets or all...

After each " (cell #) - " is the text to enter into that cell

(row 1)
(cell/col 1) - WIKI SEARCH

(row 2)
(cell 1) - Enter search term below (an external link will appear on the right, it will open a new browser tab with all pages containing that term)

(row 3)
(cell 1) - (bordered cell, no text- this is the "search box")
(cell 2) - =concatenate(A4,A3,B4)

// NOTE: cell 2 is a formula and its contents will change as cell 1's contents change //

(row 3)  *(the "template" that is to be used by the formula)

(cell 1) - wiki url#:[!is[system]search[
(cell 2) - ]]

NOTES:

Modify the formula rows/column numbers to match your set up.

Hide the 3rd row (right click on that rows number, select "Hide row").

The formula takes the typed in search term and combines it with the "template" cells to construct a url which will with hover over the cell, display a link that will open a new browser tab with all pages containing the search term.

Make sure you don't put this in a published Google sheet if the wiki being searched is meant to be private.

Mohammad

Jul 17, 2019, 3:11:53 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Why not to attach a Google sheet to demonstrate the procedure!

--Mohammad

Mat

Jul 17, 2019, 3:15:38 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Sounds potentially very useful - but I don't understand how this is set up. How does the google sheet file at all access the wiki file?

Thanx

<:-)

A Gloom

Jul 17, 2019, 3:25:59 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki

Why not to attach a Google sheet to demonstrate the procedure!

I shall.  Export an example sheer & attech or link to a published sheet?

A Gloom

Jul 17, 2019, 3:58:23 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Sounds potentially very useful - but I don't understand how this is set up. How does the google sheet file at all access the wiki file?

Especially considering you can tailor the search filter-- see below...

Unfortunately, the google sheet cannot interact directly-- what it will do is using the search operator attached to the url it creates, opens your wiki (from the google sheet) with a search filter already entered-- basically automating the opening and filling the seerch box steps of searching your wiki

One hazard-- having too many search results since this will open all tiddlers matching your search term.  But can be fixed

(cell 1) - wiki url#:[!is[system]search[
(cell 2) - ]limit[5]]

the search filfter can be customized, so you can have search boxes for search titles only, text field only, etc
(cell 1) - wiki url#:[!is[system]search:title[
(cell 2) - ]]

I just noticed 5.1.18 upgraded the search operator-- I don't know wether to kick myself for just noticing or not upgrading  ><

A Gloom

Jul 17, 2019, 9:46:30 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
here's a working google sheet with seatches (including a deluxe search : D ) of TW.com

passingby

Jul 17, 2019, 11:34:56 PM7/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
I could not understand how to make it work.

A Gloom

Jul 18, 2019, 3:04:36 AM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
I could not understand how to make it work.

no problem : ) make it work as in how to use the wotking copy?  or duplicating it on another sheet?

I can explain it further-- possibly annotate the cells better

I added a create new tiddler section, using the behavior of TW that if you send it a nonexisting tiddler permalink, it will create a missing tiddler placeholder

BTW: anyone should be able to "save a copy" (in file menu) to their GDrives so they can have their own copy (i believe it will work)

passingby

Jul 18, 2019, 7:27:22 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
I meant, I could not figure out which cell to input the search term in, and then press which button ?

A Gloom

Jul 18, 2019, 9:15:55 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
I meant, I could not figure out which cell to input the search term in, and then press which button ?

No problem : )  My instructions were brief.

I just noticed the worksheet reverted to white background which ruined the "text entry" cells borders-- did you get a white background sheet? (sorry, I can't use white-- if it wasn't for my invered color theme, I wouldn't  be using a computer any longer)

Onve I get the sheet back to its intended color scheme:
The white bordered boxes underneath the text "ENTER SEARCH TERM..."are plain old cells where you enter data in the usual GSheets way- click the box and type (or hit enter and type) then hit enter to get out of that field and set it.

No buttons to push-- 2 cells to the right of the "text entry" cell you will see an URL-- move your mouse cursor over it and a pop-up with a link will appear-- just click on it.

 I could probably make the text entry cells actual edit fields-- I know GSheets support drop down menu's in cells

This uses the same concepts as TW and macros-- constructing from pieces and being able to interject pieces in through typed or pasted cells-- I build mass import tiddlers, html pages and svg's using these concepts.

passingby

Jul 19, 2019, 12:14:06 AM7/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ah. Okay I got. You are sending the search through url.  Thanks.