[TW5] Nesting of Items in Ordered Lists

Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)

Apr 29, 2016, 3:05:56 PM4/29/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hmmm.  Does TW5 no longer support nested ordered lists, like TWC did?

For example, this:

#first item
##second item
###third item

... renders in TWC as:

1. first item
. second item
. third item

... but renders in TW5 as:

1. first item

1. second item

1. third item

Is that an unimplemented feature, or did it cause problems with the new core maybe?

Eric Shulman

Apr 29, 2016, 3:25:17 PM4/29/16
to TiddlyWiki
Nested ordered lists DO work.  The standard HTML default style for OL is to use decimal numbers at all levels.

However, in TiddlyWiki Classic, the StyleSheetLayout shadow tiddler defined the styles for ordered list this way:

ol {list-style-type:decimal;}
ol ol
{list-style-type:lower-alpha;}
ol ol ol
{list-style-type:lower-roman;}
ol ol ol ol
{list-style-type:decimal;}
ol ol ol ol ol
{list-style-type:lower-alpha;}
ol ol ol ol ol ol
{list-style-type:lower-roman;}
ol ol ol ol ol ol ol
{list-style-type:decimal;}

For TW5, paste the above into a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/Stylesheet, and you should then get the bullet styles you expect.

enjoy,
-e

Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)

Apr 30, 2016, 4:48:02 PM4/30/16
to TiddlyWiki
Well, that's gloriously simple.  Thanks, Eric!

Any reason that styling was deliberately left out of TW5?

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 30, 2016, 5:21:01 PM4/30/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott

> Any reason that styling was deliberately left out of TW5?

It’s more that it’s the default HTML/CSS styling; TW5 doesn’t generally change defaults unless it’s functionally necessary.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)

Apr 30, 2016, 5:42:49 PM4/30/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 5:21:01 PM UTC-4, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

> Any reason that styling was deliberately left out of TW5?

It’s more that it’s the default HTML/CSS styling; TW5 doesn’t generally change defaults unless it’s functionally necessary.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure if it was a deliberate choice to make TW more transparent (and HTML-"bilingual") or just something that got left behind by mistake.  I could've seen it going either way — !  ;)