Suggestions for stand-alone, mobile TW files?

Mark S.

Mar 10, 2019, 2:01:40 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm looking for suggestions for complete, stand-alone mobile apps to put in the configurable (if you like JSON) download section of a mobile app.

The "stand-alone" bit is important. There's a lot of good projects out there, but some of them have been compiled with unrelated projects, which would be distracting. It would be presumptuous of me to provide my own versions of other's work. Or would it?

For instance, I immediately thought of "Todo Now", but when I visited the page (or at least the link I had via tiddlymaps), I see that's actually embedded in a tw with many plugins.

It would be neat to have representatives from the various recognized categories:

* Todo lists
* Contacts
* Education
* Math/calculator
* Health
* Bookmarks

Thanks!
-- Mark
quinoid-download-images-page.png

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 10, 2019, 2:39:06 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S.

Good you ask. Thank you!

One thing. I would ask Thomas to do a reduced "ToDoNow Essentials", mobile friendly, suited to what you are thinking.

TDN, works well on my phone BTW.

Best wishes
Josiah

TonyM

Mar 10, 2019, 5:34:43 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

I do not think it unreasonable to compile an "edition" consisting of others tools and solutions especially if you are targeting a use case such as mobile or delivering it to a platform such as quinoid. Such developments in effect promote the solutions you package. Many authors may want this done yet do not have the opportunity.

Regards
Tony

Thomas Elmiger

Mar 10, 2019, 7:20:00 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

You are probably looking for this version of ToDoNow: https://tid.li/tw5/tdn.html – I will have to update it soon, so you can tell me beforehand if this suits your wishes concerning size/number of plugins.

Cheers,
Thomas

Mark S.

Mar 10, 2019, 7:33:56 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Yes! I thought that there was another version. Perhaps this link should be use in tiddlymap?

That looks good. My main concern was that the TW file be application-focused, allowing a user to immediately get started without having to bat away additional projects (even if those projects might be also good in their own pages).

Thanks!
-- Mark

JD

Mar 11, 2019, 1:28:53 PM3/11/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I have an expense tracker, still in alpha, that can be demoed here: http://j.d.ml.tiddlyspot.com/

I still need to tweak the Reports > Categories tab and clean up the code + documentation, but I've been testing it with Quine and BTC's android app and have found it to be very usable. It has replaced other Android apps I used to track money with. (tab: Manage > Looks&TW is very fun )

I haven't released it properly yet because I'm concerned with the lag.

At low battery percent, around 15% and below, it lags on my Nexus6P, especially on Quine. With BTC's Android app, the performance is a little bit better even on low batt. This happens at around 300+ transactions logged in.

Just wanted to share.

-jd

EDIT:

Dang, I forgot to mention that this relies on my favorite plugin: Evan's Formulas Plugin, and so doesn't meet your requirement for it to be completely stand alone.

Also, FANTASTIC ANDROID APP !!! Thank you so much for it!!!

Mark S.

Mar 11, 2019, 2:11:20 PM3/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi JD,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Just to clarify, it's fine for an app to depend on other (included) plugins. I just want the app to look like, say, an expense app, when it is loaded. That is, the user doesn't have to hunt through a variety of tiddlers and plugins to get things working.

Thanks!
-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 11, 2019, 2:11:58 PM3/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Mr JD Yen

I have an expense tracker, still in alpha, that can be demoed here: http://j.d.ml.tiddlyspot.com/

That is seriously good.

You just saved me Euros and time.

Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 11, 2019, 2:14:46 PM3/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:
... it's fine for an app to depend on other (included) plugins. I just want the app to look like, say, an expense app, when it is loaded.

Absolutely right IMH boring O.

J.

E Browns

Mar 11, 2019, 6:43:44 PM3/11/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josiah,

Thank you! I still have to slim down the code a bit and tweak some things but this is pretty usable to me with the current Android apps.

-jd

E Browns

Mar 11, 2019, 6:48:09 PM3/11/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
True. Mobile users tend to prefer specificity and looks in an app. It needs to look pretty, straightforward, and easy to use.

-jd

Mohammad

Mar 12, 2019, 12:10:20 AM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
JD,
 This is absolutely great!
One cannot believe it possible to produce such app using Tiddlywiki!

One question
where is the control panel?

--Mohammad

TonyM

Mar 12, 2019, 1:37:05 AM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
mark,

I have dozens of app ideas, I won't flood you with them, but they still need designing, although I do now have the components and skills to do so. I do need to prioritise work. But here are a few if you are looking to add value to Quinoid.

  • A Todo Do list app like google keep, especially for shopping where as you type an item to buy eg bread then the previously used item names come up such as "Multigrain Wholemeal Bread", and once checked they disappear until entered again. I believe these are called "Remember the Milk" apps however loaded with a few smarts they are much easier to use. Entering such items under a recipe so you can add all recipe ingredients, check the cupboards and buy the rest may be a useful integration.
  • Nicely organised link repositories, to good reading or listening material when alone with your phone may be nice too.
  • I have an unpolished one for comparing two things with advantages and disadvantages, including rating and recommendations.
I am very interested in building an app to work with What3Words.com, Geolocation and on Mobile.

Regards
Tony

Thomas Elmiger

Mar 12, 2019, 2:36:51 AM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

Hereʼs a link to a test version of ToDoNow mobile using my latest plugins and theme:
https://tid.li/tw5/tdn2019.html

In my opinion a bit of fine tuning for mobile is needed before we could call it a mobile app.

Suggestions welcome, implementation will take a while.

Cheers,
Thomas

JD

Mar 12, 2019, 6:25:49 AM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Oh wow, thanks Mohammad! Although Ml is really just an interface to manipulate and present the fields of tiddlers (through the perspective of an expense tracker)

Ah, to access the Tiddlywiki control panel you'd have to go to Tiddlywiki mode itself, ( Manage > Looks & TW, click the motovun jack icon... on a side note, I am in love with the word Motovun, sounds so rpg, doesn't it?)

The thought is, for this particular plugin, to just save this html file in your android phone and run it on the Android apps. To do Tiddlywiki things you have to go to Tiddlywiki mode. Perhaps I should add an option for people who might not work this way. I really have no idea how other people work with Tiddlywiki hehehe

-jd

Subi 54

Mar 13, 2019, 12:16:18 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
If you are looking for a template ideas, I wouldn't mind a sticky note one. Something along the lines of:
table
{width: 20em;}
td
{color: black;}

<label>

<input type="checkbox" />

</label>

<ul>

<li></li>

<li></li>

</ul>

Ste Wilson

Mar 13, 2019, 4:22:11 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Topic hijack but there is

stickynotes.tiddlyspot.com

TonyM

Mar 14, 2019, 6:02:15 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Sticky notes are really for Desktops not mobile surely?

Regards
Tony

Subi 54

Mar 14, 2019, 10:32:45 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
It is but I sync a tiddlywiki file: Inbox. Switching from Mobile to Desktop and having the important stuff right there can be nice.