TW5: Can we have the pallet setting include theme tweaks settings?

Chuck R.

Dec 19, 2019, 12:48:29 PM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
My system: TW5.1.19 on tiddlyspot.com

This is an idea for the future.

I'd like to be able to switch between palettes but also between theme tweaks under Control Panel > Appearance > Theme Tweaks. Can we set up so theme tweaks and the palette colors save under a Palette entry? I tend to like my sidebar more narrow before it breaks so I have settings for that.

Thank you! You all have been very helpful. :)

TonyM

Dec 19, 2019, 5:28:56 PM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Chuck,

This is a useful idea but could be impactful. Perhaps a better approach is for someone to create the ability to store two or more bundles of settings and allow switching between them. The settings could thus include other values perhaps even switch if the user name changes. What I am suggesting is a much more general solution which your suggestion would be just one specific use of it.

Regards
Tony

PMario

Dec 20, 2019, 4:25:22 AM12/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
IMO Theme Tweaks are not part of the palette, but part of a theme. So should be able to use the theme-switcher.

The only problem at the moment is, there is no easy way to create a theme plugin based on your actual settings.

A workaround may be:

 - Use the following Advanced Search: Filter: [prefix[$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla]] -[[$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla]]
 - Export them as JSON file
 - Drag and drop import

Or ask Tony, how to package them as a "Bookmar Toolbar" in the browser.
-mario

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 20, 2019, 6:30:47 AM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
My take on this is simply to use PMario's "Bundler" plugin to export packages of bespoke settings as JSON files.

Demo: https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

One "Bundle" per configuration set. Can include palettes, themed items, tweaks, whole plugins, whatever you need ...
Then export.

Then import whichever set you need for quickly changing configurations.

The big advantage it is a universal method that works now.
The only thing you need to divine is which Tiddlers need including.

It is not the best documented plugin in history but it is definitely one of the BEST.

Best wishes
TT

Chuck R.

Dec 20, 2019, 8:06:38 AM12/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes a more general, bundle solution would be fine. I just didn't want to ask for too much, so I asked for a little. This is just an idea for the future. In the future a bundle could include the theme, any theme tweaks, and anything else related to appearance.

I prefer not to have the sidebar disappear too soon as I use a more narrow browser width, and I prefer the sidebar on the right side even with a more narrow browser width. The reason for this is I have multiple browser windows (not just browser tabs) open as I copy and paste data into TW.

The reason I asked for this is I was having trouble adding a new button to the page control bar and I thought it might be because I set the sidebar to be too narrow in my Stylesheet (CSS). But I don't think that is the case now, but for debugging it would be easier to switch back and forth between custom and standard theme tweaks (which define the width of various main elements on the page like sidebar and story river and twiddlers) for debugging.

Thanks!

PMario

Dec 20, 2019, 8:10:11 AM12/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
It is not the best documented plugin in history but it is definitely one of the BEST.

:))))

Thx for the reminder. I'll take the roses ;)

------ OT -----

At the moment I'm busy to get the "Save / Restore Stories" proof of concept ready. Implementing the functionality is relatively simple BUT the UI part should be simple too.

If everything goes well, I'm sure, the bundler will also benefit. eg: drag & drop list AND filtered lists. ..

just a teaser
------ end OT -------

-m
Message has been deleted

PMario

Dec 20, 2019, 8:14:56 AM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 2:06:38 PM UTC+1, Chuck R. wrote:
Yes a more general, bundle solution would be fine. I just didn't want to ask for too much, so I asked for a little. This is just an idea for the future. In the future a bundle could include the theme, any theme tweaks, and anything else related to appearance.

As TT wrote, a bundle can already include themes. ... I was thinking about a possibility to package bundles as plugins. .... BUT ... it would be a bit contrary to the initial purpose of bundles.

Which is: A bundle should contain tiddlers, that can be overwritten by the user.

A packaged bundle would contain "shadow tiddlers"

-m

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 20, 2019, 9:13:32 AM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Chuck R. wrote:
... it would be easier to switch back and forth between theme tweaks (which define the width of various main elements on the page like sidebar and story river and twiddlers) for debugging.

Sounds like you need a "toggle button" (with two or more change states). Sounds like you want dynamic change?
Doable. Different approach than discussion has been about so far?
TT

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 20, 2019, 9:16:06 AM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
PMario wrote:
TiddlyTweeter wrote:
It is not the best documented plugin in history but it is definitely one of the BEST.

:))))

Thx for the reminder. I'll take the roses ;)

Welcome :-)