bibTex

alessio c

Feb 2, 2010, 2:10:40 AM2/2/10
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was trying to design a macro that could take a bibTex text in a tiddler and put the citation in another one.

For example, the tiddler A has this text:
@article{franklin1997agent,
title={{Is it an Agent, or just a Program?: A Taxonomy for Autonomous Agents}},
author={Franklin, S. and Graesser, A.},
journal={Lecture Notes in Computer Science},
volume={1193},
pages={21--36},
year={1997},
publisher={Springer}
}
I want to insert a macro in the tiddler B in order to have something like:
Franklin, S. and Graesser, A., Is it an Agent, or just a Program?: A Taxonomy for Autonomous Agents, etc.

Do you have any ideas?

Alex Hough

Feb 2, 2010, 4:03:55 AM2/2/10
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Here is an idea on how to approach the problem. I can't help with the execution of it though.

1) Change the data to slices
2) Use a macro to read the slices

The data needs to transform from
  author={Franklin, S. and Graesser, A.},

author#Franklin, S. and Graesser, A.

So you need a bit of code to change "={" into "#" and to remove "{,"

The macro could have a format like <<cite [[name of author, year]]>>
The macro would then have to read the data  slices back from the tiddler in the order you require them

Before you dive into this problem though i would check out Zotero at Zotero.org. I think it works well with TW.

Here's what I do.
1. Download citation into Zotero
2. Copy citation to clipboard from zotero
3. paste citation into tiddler title
4. drag full bibliographic data into the tiddler.

Then if you want to do what you want type <<tiddler [[name of citation]]>> then the full data will be transcluded.

If you use newHere plugin, you can made notes tagged with the citation.

ALex

http://www.multiurl.com/g/64

Mike

Feb 2, 2010, 7:55:49 AM2/2/10
to TiddlyWiki
If the bib information was put in slices (as reccomended above) then
you could use transclusion
<<tiddler "Tiddler A::Author">> , <<tiddler "Tiddler A::Date">>

or if you need the whole text you could uses sections
Tiddler A
!!!My Bib

Franklin, S. and Graesser, A., Is it an Agent, or just a Program?: A
Taxonomy for Autonomous Agents, etc.

!!!End

transclusion
<<tiddler "Tiddler A##MyBib">>

This method may require some reformatting, but uses core TW macros /
techniques
http://tiddlywiki.org/wiki/Slice
http://tiddlywiki.org/wiki/Transclusion#Partial_Transclusion

Good Luck !

Mike

On Feb 2, 3:03 am, Alex Hough <r.a.ho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Here is an idea on how to approach the problem. I can't help with the
> execution of it though.
>
> 1) Change the data to slices
> 2) Use a macro to read the slices
>
> The data needs to transform from
>
>   author={Franklin, S. and Graesser, A.},

>   author#Franklin, S. and Graesser, A.
>
> So you need a bit of code to change "={" into "#" and to remove "{,"
>
> The macro could have a format like <<cite [[name of author, year]]>>
> The macro would then have to read the data  slices back from the tiddler in
> the order you require them
>
> Before you dive into this problem though i would check out Zotero at
> Zotero.org. I think it works well with TW.
>
> Here's what I do.
> 1. Download citation into Zotero
> 2. Copy citation to clipboard from zotero
> 3. paste citation into tiddler title
> 4. drag full bibliographic data into the tiddler.
>
> Then if you want to do what you want type <<tiddler [[name of citation]]>>
> then the full data will be transcluded.
>
> If you use newHere plugin, you can made notes tagged with the citation.
>
> ALex
>

> On 2 February 2010 07:10, alessio c <viandant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I was trying to design a macro that could take a bibTex text in a tiddler
> > and put the citation in another one.
>
> > For example, the tiddler A has this text:
>
> > @article{franklin1997agent,
> >   title={{Is it an Agent, or just a Program?: A Taxonomy for Autonomous Agents}},
>
> >   author={Franklin, S. and Graesser, A.},
> >   journal={Lecture Notes in Computer Science},
> >   volume={1193},
> >   pages={21--36},
> >   year={1997},
> >   publisher={Springer}
> > }
>
> > I want to insert a macro in the tiddler B in order to have something like:
>
> > Franklin, S. and Graesser, A., Is it an Agent, or just a Program?: A Taxonomy for Autonomous Agents, etc.
>
> > Do you have any ideas?
>
> >  --

> > tiddlywiki+...@googlegroups.com<tiddlywiki%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

alessio c

Feb 2, 2010, 3:14:17 PM2/2/10
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, I'll follow your advices, I didn't know about transclusion neither about zotero possibility to Quick Copy.

Muad Abd El Hay

Oct 6, 2015, 12:35:49 PM10/6/15
to TiddlyWiki
I found this plugin from TW classic. I am fairly new to all of this so I have no idea how to make this work under TW5. Any ideas?

Jed Carty

Oct 6, 2015, 4:11:26 PM10/6/15
to TiddlyWiki
I made something that is the start of what you are talking about. If you check out the citation library here you can see what I have.

Tobias Beer

Oct 6, 2015, 4:22:23 PM10/6/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jed,

If you check out the citation library here you can see what I have.

That's quite interesting, although I can't see how it's about importing and then reusing / presenting BibTeX entries.

Anyway, selecting anyhing from the main dropdown in those bookmarks and then chosing a further value from the second one it happens that the result list is empty. So, why would you show that option in the second select box if there was no item matching the combination of first select plus second select? Or maybe it's just that the results list doesn't quite update correctly and there are items indeed. Not sure.

Best wishes,

— tb

BJ

Oct 6, 2015, 5:05:09 PM10/6/15
to TiddlyWiki

Jed Carty

Oct 6, 2015, 5:38:42 PM10/6/15
to TiddlyWiki
Tobias,

The default is on bookmarks, switching to the citation library using the menu to the left will show the citation library. It uses bibtex stuff. Here is the direct link to it:
http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Finmysocks%2FCitations%2FCitation%20Library

And the bug with the bookmarks is something that I haven't figured out how to fix yet. I haven't looked at it in a while though. The problem is that the item picked by the second or third dropdown isn't cleared when you change the first one and that breaks the filter used to generate the list of links.

Tobias Beer

Oct 7, 2015, 11:46:12 AM10/7/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jed,

http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Finmysocks%2FCitations%2FCitation%20Library

Ah, now I see. I overlooked that as the tabbed toc wasn't pointing to it on startup. :-)

Best wishes,

— tb

David Myers

Mar 30, 2016, 4:44:53 AM3/30/16
to TiddlyWiki

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:11:26 PM UTC+2, Jed Carty wrote:
I made something that is the start of what you are talking about. If you check out the citation library here you can see what I have.

Jed,

I've looked at your citation plugin, and it seems like exactly what I need.
However, I need some instruction on using it.

I am using LaTeX for my main document, and have a Jabref / Bibtex list of references.
Can I copy /paste the whole of my BibTex file into the SelectedCitationsBibtex tab ?
How do I make a reference in my tiddler (preferably an expanding one).

Thanks in advance

David

Jed Carty

Mar 30, 2016, 8:33:07 AM3/30/16
to TiddlyWiki
At the moment there isn't any way to copy in multiple bibtex citations at once. You have to do them individually under the 'Add Citation' tab. Give it a title, copy the abstract (if you have one) into the top text box and the bibtex into the bottom box. I have just been using it to automatically building .bib files so I can easily add or remove references.

I have had some troubles recently and haven't had much time to work on tiddlywiki. At the moment there is absolutely no manipulation of the data in the citation. So what you paste in is what you get, there are no formatted in-line citations. Adding a macro that lets you insert expandable bibtex citations into a tiddler would be a good addition to the plugin. I know a lot more about both tiddlywiki and javascript now than I did when I made the plugin so this may get a complete rewrite that lets it put in properly formatted citations.

David Myers

Mar 30, 2016, 9:06:21 AM3/30/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Jed,

I currently use JabRef for my bibliography, and one of the tabs in the panel gives access to the complete BibTex entry ~ including abstract and any other info I may have added (such as keywords, cross references).

If you do intend to work on your plugin in the future, I will be happy to help test is out.

I can be both a bit of a nerd, and rather stupid ~ occasionally simultaneously ;) ~ this means I have a the inability of a complete newb (such as how to install stuff or call a macro), but an idea of how to troubleshoot.

If you do think to make some advances on your plugin here is what I think it may be missing.

import from bibtex format -
 most bibliography software has an option to export the info into a single bibtex file (or .bib), JabRef gives other options for HTML tabular output, or XML also.

In fact with my current project I may need to work on an XML to Json converter...

I don't know how easyily I could write this in js ?? I guess I could have a bash at it !

Referencing method
This could probably use a macro with some form of transclusion.

What would work really well would be placing all the references in their own sepratare tiddlers (as you do now) and having them in a tab on the side bar (bit like a TOC), and a copy of the required macro call to use as the reference (this part I may be able to do ?).

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Jed Carty <inmy...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

stevesuny

Oct 17, 2016, 1:37:51 PM10/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David, searching around for ways to integrate some bibliographic system (Bibtex is preference) with TW5 --- came across this thread. Have you made any progress using JabRef? Seems to me that a custom layout would allow an entire JabRef dbase to be integrated into TW -- perhaps using the Bibekey as the tiddler title? And perhaps adding some custom fields in JabRef as tags?

Thanks,

//steve.

David Myers

Oct 20, 2016, 12:05:19 AM10/20/16
to TiddlyWiki
Steve,

Using Jed's citation library worked very well for my immediate requirements.

The only gripe I have is that it creates multiple tiddlers for each reference (never got around to figuring out what exactly was going on under the hood), which made things a tad confusing.

In hindsight this would be best used with the 'server' version of TW (ie using nodeJS), then with each reference in a separate tiddler file they would be more easily updated, usefull if you use are researching across the web, as you can then use zotero to collect the data and export to bibref, then import (for jed's library this means 'copy/paste') into TW worked rather well ~ I assume this could be easily automated as Zotero and BibTex format can be easily exported to XML, which could then be parsed using JS into the required 'citation library' fields.

The reason for using the nodeJS is that this would mean you only need to update a single file and it would be available to all your TW wikis simultaneously, otherwise you store a single file html of just the references and import this flat TW into your other TWs on each update, hence node in this instance would make for an easier workflow (and reduce out of data tw files on your pc / web page).

For me however I appreciate being able to keep my TW files as a single self contained html+JS file, which ca be done exporting a nodeJS TW to a 'normal' TW (although there  currently seem no good solution for attached image files ~ see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/od-d1E9uPQM)  or again you can create a static page http://tiddlywiki.com/static/Generating%2520Static%2520Sites%2520with%2520TiddlyWiki.html.
The problem seems to reside in links to the attached images / files etc, but I guess your could always do a wget on the pages (which seems to pull everything from a site !).

David

stevesuny

Oct 23, 2016, 1:25:05 PM10/23/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,
Just want to be sure you saw that the latest pre-release has a preliminary bibtex plugin that imports a bib file and puts each reference into a tiddler; the bibtex id becomes the tiddler name. I'm working on macros to allow referencing of citations within tiddlers, and generation of a reference list for the entire wiki.

I agree with you that this isn't ideal, as it requires you to import the bib file into each wiki, and to re-import it each time it changes. I believe the re-import issue can be solved in node-js but am not 100% sure.

At any rate -- this is a huge advance, and puts is a big step closer to having a serious bibliographic management system that interacts with TW.

//steve.

David Myers

Oct 23, 2016, 8:30:59 PM10/23/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

I'll have to have a look later, sounds like you have done the majority of the required stuff though.

As you say node.js should resolve the continual re-importing issue.

I think in terms of using TW as a report writing system this is great, but the really sticky point after that is how to print the whole thing in a 'nice' manner.

For that I used LyX / Latex / TexMaker / TexStudio (to match what my colleagues use), but a print output from TW doesn't seem to work quite the same way, but what you are doing will certainly make it easier to start a thesis as an online TW file, and to use it again as a non-linear way for presenting (rather than use powerpoint for example).

David