A TIDDLYWIKI AS CONTACT MANAGER: Replacing VCF Cards with Tiddlers

Brian Litman

Nov 12, 2019, 6:55:14 PM11/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Am new to the Tiddlecosm.

I find it interesting to use a TiddlyWiki in my mobile, in place of the inplace spyware of iOS and Android.

I don't want my contacts to go to any cloud.  Local control only.

Ergo, I wonder if, in the glorius history of TiddlyWiki there exists some VCF Card to Tiddler import.

Bonus: Android dialer will recognise the international prefixed "+nnn" tel number.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thx!

Scott Kingery

Nov 12, 2019, 7:08:29 PM11/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
There might be something in the toolmap. Search for vcf  https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM

TonyM

Nov 12, 2019, 7:17:38 PM11/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Brian,

This is a good idea and to be able to import or drop common address files like vcf onto tiddlywiki would be great.

Any vcf file can be dropped on Tiddlywiki and here is an example content

Muscio_Anthony.vcf
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION
:3.0
PRODID
:-//Apple Inc.//iPhone OS 9.3.2//EN
:Muscio;Anthony;;;
FN
: Anthony  Muscio
ORG
:People\, Systems and Things;
EMAIL
;type=INTERNET;type=WORK;type=pref:am@secured
EMAIL
;type=INTERNET:anthony.muscio@secured
item1
.URL;type=pref:www.psat.com.au
item1
.X-ABLabel:_$!<HomePage>!$_
item2
.URL:thp.psat.com.au
item2
.X-ABLabel:_$!<Other>!$_
END:VCARD

Until you get to EMAIL the format use could be interpreted as a Data Dictionary Tiddler

All we need is a method to convert or interrogate vcf and similar "tiddlers", I already have a way to intervene in the import process. however by live interrogation of vcf format tiddlers, they would remain available in the original format for further distribution.

perhaps an extension to the data tiddler standards to allow the first of the following characters to delimit the key would be an answer ":" current, ";" and ".".

When I dropped the above vcf file on my wiki it did set the tiddler type to text/x-vcard so perhaps we can add support for this "mime type".

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Nov 12, 2019, 7:42:46 PM11/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Brian/Scott,

Yes the only hit on vcf is https://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html
It also converts them to QRcodes

Regards
Tony

Brian Litman

Nov 13, 2019, 5:13:10 PM11/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thx, Tony.
I will take a look but I am actually less interested in QR than being able to config TWK to serve as a independent Contacts DB and DIALER.

Unfortunately, I am not a coder and can't make the Android telto: connection work with TWK on my own.  :(

>>> B <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Brian Litman

Nov 14, 2019, 8:02:32 AM11/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Great.  Who sets said "standards" of support ?  How is that determined in the TWK world?

Eric Shulman

Nov 14, 2019, 9:22:50 AM11/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 5:02:32 AM UTC-8, Brian Litman wrote:
Great.  Who sets said "standards" of support ?  How is that determined in the TWK world?

TiddlyWiki (v5.0 and above) is abbreviated as "TW" or "TW5", not "TWK".

TiddlyWiki Classic (v2.x and below) is abbreviated as "TWC".

-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools: "Small Tools for Big Ideas!" (tm) http://tiddlytools.github.io/
InsideTiddlyWiki: The Missing Manuals http://insidetiddlywiki.tiddlyspot.com/

@TiddlyTweeter

Nov 14, 2019, 9:35:12 AM11/14/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Brian Litman wrote:
Great.  Who sets said "standards" of support ?  How is that determined in the TWK world?

For the CORE, for the TW App (TW5), its mentored & led by Jeremy Ruston. He has strong focus on backwards compatibility.
There are many participants who write, contribute and critique the core there. Its rigorously compliant.
To understand this you need to study the repository at ... https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5

For everything beyond that ... many add-ons and so on---its a Darwinian System.
Folk announce stuff here in this group ... it has no standards as such, but generally it works out pretty well.

A MAJOR issue for a starter is FINDING things they need.

Often there is a solution but it lies buried somewhere in this group.
Getting good at searching this group is a very good idea.

Best wishes
TT

@TiddlyTweeter

Nov 14, 2019, 9:57:42 AM11/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
TonyM

Nice find

A starting point at least.

I vaguely think someone else did one too ... but can't find it as yet.

TT

Brian Litman

Nov 14, 2019, 6:57:51 PM11/14/19
to TiddlyWiki