Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

@TiddlyTweeter

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 07:20:1615-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Tagging in TW is, I think, quite unusual in its open-scope.

We can tag "desciptively" for CONTENT (e.g. "recipe by mother", "gollums haunt");
for ORGANISATION (e.g. "chapter X", "sub-sect 9");
and for SYSTEM (e.g. $:/AThingThat DoesStuff)

There is no problem.

There is a problem.

The only problem is that the tag may not represent content. That is the usual idea of a tag--that it represents the content of the tagged.

TW's use of taggery is very interesting compared, say, to social media like Twitter, Facebook & Reddit.

I think what has happened is that natural thinking doesn't need to differentiate those modes and TW never got sucked into the somewhat false content/function dichotomy other systems did.

The only downside is it can be a bit confusing at first. The upside is its incedibly flexible.

josiah
.

S. S.

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 08:55:3915-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki

While reading various TW Google Group exchanges (some are included below that I had noted down), I put down some thoughts the last few days.

For what purposes am I using tags used for?

  1. tags prefixed $:/ for the TW system
  2. tags for creating "parent-child" relationships - i.e. ordering a Table of Contents
  3. tags for keeping track of excised data for transclusion back into the original
  4. tags for changing style (custom css, display, colour, adding text, triggering a veiw template, etc)
  5. tags for creating groups
  6. tags for categories
  7. tags for keywords
  8. other uses ???

What if I start different uses of tags with different prefixes?
I already prefix system tags because this is how TW is designed with: $:/some/system/tag
Table of Content tags are the Title of the parent tiddler - usually no prefix

So RANDOMLY - without putting much thought into what symbol to prefix the tags ...

Keywords? How about starting those with : #my-keyword
Category? How about : @my-category
Topic? How about: !topic
Keeping track of excised data?: ^Parent-Tiddler-Name
Groups? perhaps: %my-group
Styling tags? How about: *my-style

I just started thinking about this recently, so my insights are still in infancy.

[Slightly OT] Jeremy speaking at CodeMesh, London 8/9th November 2018  - the whole fascinating discussion - and of course the video it refers to: Joe Armstrong & Jeremy Ruston - Intertwingling the Tiddlywiki with Erlang | Code Mesh LDN 18

In this fascinating discussion we had:

TiddlyTweeter : TW is interesting because its tags serve several functions (semantic, organizational, systemic) seamlessly.

But, at the same time, any TW tag is a "label applied" to a tiddler -- a distance between the tiddler and its manifest content.

FYI I'm a big fan of Twiitter where #hashtags are always inline. No separation of content from organization. Its a neat approach on content cognisance. Twitter is maybe extreme in its #hashtaggery but its effective in terms of finding stuff well enough. But, of course, Twitter usage of #hashtags is purely about flagging content, whilst in TW tags do several jobs.

Joe Armstrong - YES :-)  -- Given my earlier observations, perhapse we could distinguish two types of tags. The #inlineHashTags could have something to do with the content of the containing paragraph. The tiddler tags could mean "tags used to internally organise the TW itself"

TonyM  - The simple act of ignoring tags prefixed $:/ is enough to keep system tags out of your models.

PMario - Both of those systems [Table of Contents & list-links] (mis)use tags to create internal structure, because the tagging mechanism was and is highly optimized. Both in the core-software and the UI. The core uses several caches to speed up tag and "backlink" lookups. ... We do have fields and filters, that are able to create invisible internal structure. But none of those possibilities offer the performance and "ease of use" from the UI perspective.

TonyM - Searching Tiddlers with transcluded content

Especially when it comes to intrinsically related data, I tend to start with a body of text and excise it, into our partial-tiddler(s) not only will the excise replace it but It also tags the new tiddler with the title of where is was excised from.

Thus if I was to search for something and it is found in a particular tiddler, then what that tiddler is tagged with is likely where I will find it transcluded as well.

Jed's Generic Tag Fields

Mark S. How to tag separate paragraphs in different tiddlers and then transclude them?

 I don't think most people want to wrangle 20+ little tiddlers just so they can access one section inside an article. The old TWC had sections, and I think a lot of us were flabbergasted that the "improved" TW5 didn't. The old system works the way people actually think.

It might be different if there were better tools for moving, annotating, deleting, and ordering small tiddlers, but there's not. How do you list a bunch of tiddlers, keep them in order, move them around, without having to open individual tiddlers to modify a sort field? Or create a massive list field in a Tagging tiddler -- working in a field box shorter than this sentence? How do you put them back into a single tiddler? How do you prevent orphans? I'm sure someone could come up with various tools to accomplish these tasks after the fact, but shouldn't these tools be in the core if we're expected to routinely use them that way?

Alex Hough

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 09:10:2915-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
tagging the tag is an option to classify a particular tag... thinking out loud...

Alex

@TiddlyTweeter

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 09:30:2915-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Ciao Alex

Being able to tag tiddlers that are the tag (name) is useful.

The "free-form" way we can make tags is interesting in TW for the fact you can quickly  construct "dynamic local taxonomies" using tag-tagging and other aglutination methods easily. Its taggery is quite unlike medium like Twitter where all tags are intrinsically always "flat".

At end I'd say, philosophically, TW, whether by accident or design, has turned out suitably practically agnostic on Taggery .. you can take it many routes to great effect.

Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 09:32:5415-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
S. S.

That is a great overview that contextualises a lot more than my OP!

Best wishes
Josiah

Thomas Clark

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 10:30:3515-12-2018
aan tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on 3,5, & 6? I feel like I understand what you mean but  I'm still have a difficult wrapping my head around it and what are the purpose and what would the outcome  be for?

bimlas

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 14:30:0115-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
I think that kind of logic is in the wrong direction. Two reasons:

* unnecessary complexities
* your brain does not work that way

Unnecessary complexities

The simpler, the more secure it works, the more straightforward, the more usable. For now, you've listed 6 "tag categories", but in time I'm sure more and more would be exists, it would be harder to keep in mind what prefix to use, so before you apply a tag, you have to look at what mark to use: this would not be a natural, obvious solution.

Your brain does not work that way

What's the TiddlyWiki? Category? Topic? Keyword? According to this, it is "standing over something," but in fact "subordinated to something" as well. I have encountered many of these dilemmas too, so I was glad to get to know the TiddlyWiki, where I can build the hierarchy of data in a number of ways.
If we look at the "Notes Manager", the TiddlyWiki is subordinate to the tag; if you look at the description of TiddlyWiki, it might be a "category"; if you look at the list of wikis, it might be a "topic", so, in my opinion, our brains do not explicitly differentiate between "words", but look at their relationship. I think it is more appropriate to make a toc-like hierarchy, or just as AlexHough says: group them into additional tags, so a member (eg TiddlyWiki) can belong to several groups.

S. S.

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 15:28:2015-12-2018
aan tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Clark - when I read your question, I immediately wrote the answer for 3:

3) tags for keeping track of excised data for transclusion back into the original

As TonyM explains in Searching Tiddlers with transcluded content

My understanding is, when you have a main tiddler that brings in smaller pieces by transclusion, tagging those smaller pieces with the title of the main tiddler keeps a reference point. Then if you do a search at some point, and the small tiddler matches the search, but not the main tiddler. You open the small tiddler, but it is not really in its proper context - in reality you want to see it within its main tiddler. How would you find the main tiddler its transcluded into without a reference? If the smaller pieces are tagged with the title of the main tiddler - voila!

This is what I understood from TonyM's message. I do think such kind of "direct reference" tags (they are like pointers to where the tiddler is transcluded) could be differentiated from other tags. In fact, it might make more sense to have such "connections maintained" in fields - but updating/maintaining fields feels more cumbersome than tags. Plus - when renaming a main tiddler title - TW can auto rename the tags in its "children." Plus tags are visible.

Then I started to try and understand what I had meant by the highly broad and abstract terms of "Groups" and "Categories" - which I believe now I just used to make the list as an idea of having many different kinds of prefixes on tags. Anyway, I tried to define them clearly for myself - looked at the structure of my main TW, my Toc, the tags I was using, and also of the folders hierarchy on my hard drive where I keep all my reference files.

I started to write down the answer, and within 10 minutes I was going round in circles. Thus reading bimlas' message made me smile. Perhaps this is not the right way to look at it.

I will think about it some more.

As for "what would the outcome  be for?" ... Since tags are being used for different functions, I think I wanted a way to differentiate what purpose the tag is being used for - just like the system tags are.

Mark S.

ongelezen,
15 dec 2018, 23:47:4015-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 12:28:20 PM UTC-8, S. S. wrote:
Then I started to try and understand what I had meant by the highly broad and abstract terms of "Groups" and "Categories" - which I believe now I just used to make the list as an idea of having many different kinds of prefixes on tags. Anyway, I tried to define them clearly for myself - looked at the structure of my main TW, my Toc, the tags I was using, and also of the folders hierarchy on my hard drive where I keep all my reference files.

I started to write down the answer, and within 10 minutes I was going round in circles. Thus reading bimlas' message made me smile. Perhaps this is not the right way to look at it.

I'll take a stab at it.

Groups are arbitrary containers into which we put members by convenience. Families are often groups: "John considers that the members of his family are himself, his wife, his children, and his dog." At the store, "vegetables" is a grouping that everyone understands, but which defies rule-based description. Most sports teams are groups of people that may have little in common except that they belong to the same team.

Categories are representations that have an underlying, usually logical, theme: Mammals versus Reptiles,   Fruits (botanical) versus Seeds, Carnivore vs. Herbivore.

But in terms of TW ... no difference ;-)

-- Mark

Riz

ongelezen,
16 dec 2018, 04:19:5916-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
 S. S. wrote:

So RANDOMLY - without putting much thought into what symbol to prefix the tags ...

Keywords? How about starting those with : #my-keyword
Category? How about : @my-category
Topic? How about: !topic
Keeping track of excised data?: ^Parent-Tiddler-Name
Groups? perhaps: %my-group
Styling tags? How about: *my-style

I just started thinking about this recently, so my insights are still in infancy.

I like the way this discussion is shaping up. May be a plugin could be written to ignore a set of  characters like "@", "#" etc appearing in the begining of tag pill, so that user can use them safely to denote different branches of their organization system.

sincerely
Riz

HansWobbe

ongelezen,
16 dec 2018, 08:20:0516-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki

I like the way this discussion is shaping up. May be a plugin could be written to ignore a set of  characters like "@", "#" etc appearing in the begining of tag pill, so that user can use them safely to denote different branches of their organization system.

sincerely
Riz

It should be possible to use Prefix and Suffix operations to achieve this easily.  Effectively this could evolve into a pattern of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigil_(computer_programming) characters that might even be embedded in a particular Tag value or the Tittle or Caption, or might be given a specific Field.

~Hans

@TiddlyTweeter

ongelezen,
16 dec 2018, 08:49:3516-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Ciao Riz

Some time ago you made for me a neat system (later refined by Mark S.) which auto-adds tags based on save on IN-LINE words.

The specific use-case was I post to #Twitter. Any in-line #hastagged word would get auto added as a tag to a Tiddler on save. Very neat. For those I never need to manually add tags.

And I think that is part of the issue here in this thread. Efficiency of use.

TW is unusual that taggery is (1) about many dimensions of usage; (2) very flexible in practical usage.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

ongelezen,
16 dec 2018, 08:59:5716-12-2018
aan tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Caro Bimlas

Your recent work on "kin" is very interesting for how to emerge local, wiki specific workable TAXONOMIES.

In the root space of taggery history was I think a false debate between "flat" taggery (the main system used now on web) and "world-order" hierarchy taxonomy... dating back to the Renaissance.

TW is very interesting for enabling either.

What is my take-away message? Simply that you can make local functional taxonomies very well without having to deal with Grand Theory about the teleology of ultimate classifications. It DOES the job.

Josiah

Riz

ongelezen,
16 dec 2018, 13:12:0916-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
@TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Riz

Some time ago you made for me a neat system (later refined by Mark S.) which auto-adds tags based on save on IN-LINE words.

The specific use-case was I post to #Twitter. Any in-line #hastagged word would get auto added as a tag to a Tiddler on save. Very neat. For those I never need to manually add tags.

And I think that is part of the issue here in this thread. Efficiency of use.

TW is unusual that taggery is (1) about many dimensions of usage; (2) very flexible in practical usage.

Best wishes
Josiah

I am glad it came handy.

sincerely,
Riz

TonyM

ongelezen,
16 dec 2018, 20:15:5516-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Folks,

I believe I have argued it in the past, but I would like to offer my opinion that you should not use prefixes on tags to represent what they mean.
 Apart from anything you are breaking database normalisation rules by making an attribute of an object be part of the key to the object, what if you want to change that attribute,? you loose the key!

More often than not, a tag name is enough to imply its use, if you had the tag "urgent" and the tag "Windows" you would possibly guess that urgent is a status and Windows is a Operating system.

In the above cases I would have had a tiddler called "priority" which tags urgent standard low. It then becomes possible to interrogate all the tags on a given tiddler and determine if they are "priority"  tag.
That is you can use the same tagging mechanism to group tags into meaningful groups. The Windows could have the tag OS, this a software title could have Windows, Linux, Android tags which are each also tagged OS.

What I think a lot of people miss about tags is they have a particular nature, imagine you have a tray of all possible tags sitting on your table, and you are packing a box. You can apply zero or more tags to your box as required.

If however you want to categorise the box then you have to ask, can you only use existing categories, can a box belong to only one category at a time.

Now imagine subjects, perhaps subjects are linked to the category used, you can't place a subject on the wrongly categorised item.

Keywords, they may be unlimited in nature but they should first be sourced from existing keywords to avoid synonyms being used.

If you consider S S example tag types
  1. tags prefixed $:/ for the TW system
  2. tags for creating "parent-child" relationships - i.e. ordering a Table of Contents
  3. tags for keeping track of excised data for transclusion back into the original
  4. tags for changing style (custom css, display, colour, adding text, triggering a veiw template, etc)
  5. tags for creating groups
  6. tags for categories
  7. tags for keywords
  8. other uses ???
All of the above can be indicated by tagging the "tags tiddler" and may need their own handling rules. Although we can use the $:/ prefix for the hidden system case. I would even like to see this abstracted away. Such a item could be made system hidden with a tag eg "$:/" we would then need tiddlywiki to honour this, by removing adding it to the is[system] group, or removing it from standard search.

The thing with tagging is they are the most permissive way of organising information, so they are the first things we call on to start organising tiddlers. If you want a more structured tagging system, less permissive, you are no longer really using tags but starting to use them as categories etc... Now this is great because you can use tags to do this without encoding rules, no need to develop the infrastructure/definition for categories just use then as if they were categories. The permissiveness of tags allows us to use them to represent all the above "relationships" in an ad hoc maner. Greate for design, prototyping and small solutions.

As I build more complex repositories I move non tags (not the most permissive way of organising information) into tag groups, or into another field (less complexity).

Do you understand what I am saying?
I can propose some improvements for handling tags and these other relationships but thought it best not to make this reply too long.

Tony

S. S.

ongelezen,
17 dec 2018, 09:29:1117-12-2018
aan tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tony,

I've read your post a few times now and I'm still trying to wrap my head around all you said.
This is an interesting topic for me, so please indulge me a little longer!

For an example, I have the following tags:

Category: general-semantics
Sub-categories: abstraction , e-prime , linguistics , semiotics , time-binding , etc.
Key-Words: absolutism , elementalism , extensional , intensional , multiordinal , etc.
Group-related: definition etc.

An information tiddler that incorporates some of these topics/concepts/ideas is now tagged with the Category: general-semantics & the sub-category: time-binding & the key word: extensional

There are tiddlers named: extensional time-binding - that are both tagged with definition & general-semantics. This is because they actually have info about the definition of these terms, but nothing related to their being a tag.

All the sub-category tags should have a tiddler? - that is tagged with their parent category: general-semantics ( and any other categories they may also belong to)? I believe I do this often, though not as a rule.

?Questions?

I do not have a tiddler named: general-semantics. Instead it is named General Semantics. This is tagged with definition & general-semantics
Would you say this is wrong? Should its title be exactly the same as the tag - in all lower-case? Should there be two separate tiddlers, one lower-case, like the tag, one initial-caps like I have now?

I (and anyone else using my TW) should then inherently KNOW that the tags general-semantics refer to a Category, time-binding to a Sub-Category, and extensional is a Key-Word - or we should be able to somehow find within the TW this information?

Take the tag time-binding for example. Sometimes it is used as a sub-category tag, sometimes as a keyword - is that how it should be? What do I gain?
How about when it is a sub-category I use @time-binding and when it is a key-word, I use #time-binding ? What do I lose?

Sorry for being so pedantic :(

Edit: corrected from: intentional to: extensional

Mark S.

ongelezen,
17 dec 2018, 10:22:1117-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Until Tony gets here ...

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 6:29:11 AM UTC-8, S. S. wrote:
I do not have a tiddler named: general-semantics. Instead it is named General Semantics. This is tagged with definition & general-semantics
Would you say this is wrong? Should its title be exactly the same as the tag - in all lower-case? Should there be two separate tiddlers, one lower-case, like the tag, one initial-caps like I have now?

If you're planning to structure things in a tag tree (e.g. TOC), then you need "general-semantics". Remember that if you put "General Semantics" in the caption field of "general-semantics" then the TOC macros will use the caption value for display. The question is, how do you want to use the terms? Who is going to see them? For instance, why not "GeneralSemantics" ?

Re keywords, the main problem with tags is that you can end up with tag-space "pollution." Like you may have tag that is only used twice. Is this necessary, when you may have more than 50 tags? If you use a key-word list field, then you can add new key-words without worrying about tag-space. You can periodically review all keywords to see if there are any that can be condensed (make spelling match). The downside is that you will need a separate search for keywords.

-- Mark

HansWobbe

ongelezen,
17 dec 2018, 15:58:4517-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Mark:

Thanks for posting this.  It's good to have another experienced view on this subject since I find myself gradually reducing the use of Tags in favor of using Keywords more, as there are many times when I find myself moving away from one methodology only to find that the newer one has its own limitations.

I am finding that setting up a few Search templates that generate lists based on fragments of a keyword is a very efficient way to manage tiddlers.  This is especially true if you set up the list parameters so they can be edited quite simply at the top of the generated lists.  The result is surprisingly effective and dynamic.

Best regards,
Hans

bimlas

ongelezen,
20 dec 2018, 17:32:0420-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
@HansWobbe

I'm a big fan of tags as you were, but I see the weakness of this system (for example, 4 notes belong to 11 tags).

The tags help me when I do not remember any keywords that I can write the search for, so it's good if I can search them out of a list. There is no such list of Keywords (if I guess well), so I can not imagine being more effective than tags.

Can you plase give me an example wiki to use keywords?

TonyM

ongelezen,
20 dec 2018, 19:14:4820-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
S S,

Sorry for a delay in my response. Responding in detail to you specific case is not helpful because in my view you are using lots of tags for different purposes, and this makes it complex and error bound, specifically in thew case you mention of  "anyone else using my TW". The thing is they are all tags, and really you would like to differentiate between different types of tag. There are I believe 2 ways to go from here;
  1.  Build the tools to select the appropriate tag(s) on each tiddler (use tags on tags to group tags)
  2.  Move some or all of your current tags into fields or alternative tag fields
You can use prefixes on your tags but you will need to educate the user what each prefix means, and this fact will be coded into your various macros and wiki text.

I like the database designers rule for record keys and the attributes of a record, and tags just as tiddler titles, are keys to a piece of information.

The data (non key information)  should be related to the key, the whole key and nothing but the key. In this case you are shoving the attribute of "tag type" into the tag name/key using your prefixes.
This involves a compromise that may or may not effect your in the future, as your wiki evolves, for example what if you want a tag in more than one set, can it have two prefixes?

Why cant the tiddler time-binding itself have a tag sub-category and key-word? Why cant it be both?

1. For example,
Have a tiddler for each of abstraction , e-prime , linguistics , semiotics , time-binding and tag them all with "Sub-categories"
In a tiddler tagged $:/tags/ViewTemplate provide the user the ability to select/deselect one or multiple, of the "Sub-categories" tags

2. This is more involved but I need more information on the rules relating to each of your types of tags. However keywords will benefit from the alt-tags plugin because when you go to select a keyword the previously used ones are displayed (not all regular tags).

I know this is not a complete answer, but that would be a big job. Perhaps we can tackle each type of tag separately?

Regards
Tony

S. S.

ongelezen,
21 dec 2018, 00:37:1621-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki

Since my TW's ToC is not structured around using hierarchical tags, let's look at something more functional and interesting: tiddlywiki.com

Lets see how its tags work!

Say I'm new to TW and I read [[HelloThere]] and wonder what to do next.
In the search bar I type: help

The top 3 are

Title matches:
HelloThumbnail - HelpingTiddlyWiki
HelpCommand
HelpingTiddlyWiki

Without scrolling, this is what is visible under that.

All matches:
"BrainTest - tools for a digital brain" by Danielo Rodriguez
"Creating a baby journal with TiddlyWiki 5" from A Penguin in Redmond
"Hacks" by Thomas Elmiger
"TiddlyWiki Toolmap" by David Gifford
"TiddlyWiki5 Coding" by Chris Hunt
Adopt a Titles Policy
Alice in Wonderland
Blog Edition
BuildCommand
ClearPasswordCommand
Contributing
Creating journal tiddlers
Discover TiddlyWiki
Draft of 'RenderTiddlersCommand'
Editing Tiddlers with Emacs
EditionsCommand

Actually, there is no tiddler titled: Help
And none of those relate to "Help" except maybe: Discover TiddlyWiki

With a few more searches (example search for: tiddler - 499 matches - 105 title matches - followed by a list of only the first 250), we can soon ascertain that there appear to be NO keywords and NO grouping/sorting by relevance.

The "search" way of finding information is difficult until much later - once one knows more specifically what to look for and what search terms "hit" the right tiddlers.

So then the Table of Contents is looked at. If a new user is lucky enough to be able to expand the Header items (I remember it was quite some days into using tiddlywiki before I even realized the table of contents could be expanded) - well, we all know how hard it is to use this particular ToC.

The website's Table of Contents has evolved by using tiddler names for tags in order to take advantage of the hierarchy structure of the ToC macros. However, finding information this way can be tricky and problematic.

One imagines a TW that is presenting information for OTHERS to find - be optimized for navigation and search ? I feel both these have been compromised by having tiddler names as tags. Since tags are displayed at the top of every tiddler - they might best be used as keywords? Or categories? After all, what does seeing a tag named HelloThere at the top of a tiddler mean to someone who is looking for information?

I don't imagine the whole structure of tiddlywiki.com is going to be changed. So - then - since tags have been used basically for a ToC structure, perhaps what is needed is a concerted effort to incorporate keywords? I don't know. I get quite lost as I try to imagine better ways to structure both this TW, and subsequently my own. But I do know, from seeing the difficulties on the tiddlywiki.com TiddlyWiki, that I need to find a different way.

HansWobbe

ongelezen,
21 dec 2018, 14:29:2321-12-2018
aan tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@ bimlas

My sincere apologies for this late reply, but I got called into the resolution of a business dispute between two companies that took a lot more time and energy than I anticipated.

Unfortunately, I do not have a public-facing wiki that I can provide to illustrate my use of keywords, at this time.  I am not even sure yet when my transition from Tags to Keywords will reach the point that I can provide some clear examples.  I should be able to look at this a bit more deeply during the holidays and may be able to post some comments early in January.

Regards,
Hans

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:32:04 PM UTC-5, bimlas wrote:
@HansWobbe

Diego Mesa

ongelezen,
21 dec 2018, 15:18:3921-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
S.S

I think you perfectly captured a major problem with search in TW. The best thing to illustrate it, is what you just said:

Title matches:
HelloThumbnail - HelpingTiddlyWiki
HelpCommand
HelpingTiddlyWiki

There is no clearer way to say it...

bimlas

ongelezen,
21 dec 2018, 15:54:2721-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
According to this, it is still in the experimental state. In any case, thank you for the idea, I will try to it out by myself.

S. S.

ongelezen,
28 dec 2018, 06:11:0228-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki

Most all tags on tiddlywiki.com are the familiar mustard/gold.
A few are different colours.

Concepts

Definitions

Mechanisms

task

I am wondering why this is so.

TonyM

ongelezen,
28 dec 2018, 07:54:4228-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
S s

Have a look in sidebar tools tag manager and set tag colours as you wish.

Tony

S. S.

ongelezen,
28 dec 2018, 08:21:3828-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Tony,

My thoughts were closer to - are different colours in this case some method of organization? Just eye-candy?

Can colours be used effectively as a visual aid in organizing? More than a visual aid - some way of categorizing?

I was just thinking out loud with my last post - wondering if anyone had used coloured tags for more than just decoration, and how they had used them in a way that helped organization/finding information and connections etc.

TonyM

ongelezen,
28 dec 2018, 18:37:5428-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
S s

Unless you use coloured tags, you have to read the tag name, so I think colour can be used effectivly on tags as it can be in many other cases. In my key wiki I use the class field to change the titles text and background to indicate tiddler type. You can use trafic light colours or even shades of one colour as a group.

I use deep reds and purples for references and have my own informal colour language I apply. It makes the interface a lot richer

Regards
Tony

Ste Wilson

ongelezen,
29 dec 2018, 15:00:4729-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
I've used coloured tags for top level tags. Just to highlight them a little. Eye candy I guess.

Mark S.

ongelezen,
29 dec 2018, 18:44:4129-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
It feels like someone started a coloring scheme but then didn't follow up. You practically need an interior designer to get really good tag schemes ;-)

-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

ongelezen,
29 dec 2018, 21:44:5329-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Part of it IS art.

It is interesting how decisions on tags could be about colour encodement.

S. S.

ongelezen,
31 dec 2018, 11:58:1231-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
So, I'm wondering, you make this parent tiddler – and then any other tiddler inseminated with the parent's title – produces a toddler !

This whole tagging thing is so much like the 7 year old toddler, asking his tiddler about the Birds and the Bees.

wjam

ongelezen,
31 dec 2018, 17:09:1531-12-2018
aan TiddlyWiki
Long time ago I made a copy of tiddlywiki.com 5.1.11 and added lots of additional tags to find stuff easier, some additional tiddlers to see all widgets tiddlers, Tiddlywiki quickref tab: an over the top view of all concepts, some flow diagrams for using local html or hosted tiddlyspot, examples for railroad diagrams, internals tab quick lookup (fill search field with appropriate search terms) where macros widgets and other features are used within the site itself, to be used for further educational purposes
(also included my history plugin to keep track of all the tiddlers you visited when you traverse the site) maybe this can help to organize/organise some of the information present. Of course you can copy tiddlers when you like them.

http://tw5quickref.tiddlyspot.com

(to color your tag you must create a tiddler with the same name, and give it a field named color, however these tiddlers are considered normal tiddlers in the searchresults, that is probably why the color scheme was not continued.)

wjam

Cyrill

ongelezen,
1 jan 2019, 12:22:4501-01-2019
aan TiddlyWiki
Hey Community,

perhaps a bit off-topic, but  I'm looking for a useful adaptation of the output (results) of the list-search (macro) by Tobibeer to re-organize Tags and Fields (for example : ontology or semantics)

Is it possible to show with to the listed tiddlers, beside Tags also some predefined custom fields and their contents ? If yes, it will be very helpful to be also directly editable.
Something like this

TIDDLER A
__TAGS
__FIELD1  and CONTENT of FIELD1
__FIELD2  and CONTENT of FIELD2

TIDDLER B
__TAGS
__FIELD1  and CONTENT of FIELD1
__FIELD2  and CONTENT of FIELD2
and so on

The idea is that some information is redundant and better to put in fields. Otherwise in TW the hierarchical information will be better shows by Tags.
Thanks for hints or solutions

TonyM

ongelezen,
1 jan 2019, 19:54:2001-01-2019
aan TiddlyWiki
Cyrill,

Of course it is easy, tobiases test filter is designed to only list the titles of the tiddlers matching the filter.

If you build your own list without using the "variable" you can reference fields inside the list widget as current tiddler. Eg {{!!caption}}

Or is there something more to your question?

Tony

Cyrill

ongelezen,
2 jan 2019, 06:15:4402-01-2019
aan TiddlyWiki
Thanks Tony for your reply,

when I understand it correctly the reference {{!!caption}} show the content of the field. To remove the "variable" I think I had to change the macro of tobibeer ?
The list-search of him in my mind already shows after each of listed tiddlers two fields "filter" und "filter2" after the tags line.
How can I just modify it to show more custum fields in the output.

Or can you give a short eample of coding the list widget ?

One thing Toby will also be nice : that the output inofrmations are directly editable without to open the tiddlers, to simplify the revisions of concordance between contents of fields in tags and custum fields in the lines nearby.

Nice regards

Cyrill

ongelezen,
2 jan 2019, 08:15:3102-01-2019
aan TiddlyWiki
Hey,

I found it by just modify the file   "$:/.tb/template/list-examples"  by adding another reveal paragraph with the wished content field !

So how to make that editable in view-mode ?
Nice Regards

S. S.

ongelezen,
3 jan 2019, 09:50:0803-01-2019
aan TiddlyWiki
Though I recommend not taking the time and effort to see this yourself, there are just over 1,700 lines (meaning links to tiddlers) in the Table of Contents on www.tiddlywiki.com !

It seems that extensive use of parent/child tags has actually created an Index as opposed to a Table of Contents.

I find that intriguing.
Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen