External images on Google Drive

SRF88

Mar 24, 2020, 10:48:07 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

First of all, apologies for the simple question but I am quite far out of my comfort zone here.

I have been using TiddlyDesktop for a while, I use a lot of photos to illustrate my note taking so I use inks to external photos. To make the TiddlyWiki more accessible I have experimented with moving it to Google Drive, this has been successful using Tiddly Drive BUT i cannot figure out how to link my images.

I have come across this plugin that might help https://github.com/zimiarh/tiddlywiki-external-image but have no idea how to install it!

Or is there a more simple way of linking external images on Google Drive?

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I had a search and could not find the answer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sam

Mark S.

Mar 24, 2020, 11:16:08 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think that plugin just helps you wrap shared images appropriately.

To download from GH, click on the "tiddlers" folder. Then click on the $__plugins_zimiarh_extimg.tid link. Right click on the "Raw" button and then select "save link as" to download the tiddler.

Find the downloaded tiddler and drag and drop into your TW file (a green bar should appear as you drag, that tells you it's ok to drop).

Import the tiddler. Save your TW file. Reload. A new icon appears over in the sidebar, that will help you create links to SHARED images on gdrive.

HTH

SRF88

Mar 24, 2020, 12:16:50 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for your quick response Mark

I followed your instructions using an empty TW. A new icon did not appear in the tools tab?

I will make sure to use shared images on GD.

Thank you.

Mark S.

Mar 24, 2020, 12:39:15 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
When you go into settings, plugins, is the new plugin listed?
 (Creates External image tiddler from google drive file link)

SRF88

Mar 24, 2020, 12:52:47 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
No it is not.

I know I've done something wrong here - sorry.

Your help is much appreciated.

Mark S.

Mar 24, 2020, 1:06:07 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Did the tid download, per the instructions, do you see it in your downloads directory?

Did you drag the file again, and drop it when the green bar appeared? Did you see the green bar?

After your dragged and dropped, did a tiddler appear called $:/Import?

In that tiddler, did you click on "Import" ?

I forgot to ask -- are you on Windows?

Mohammad

Mar 24, 2020, 1:36:05 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,
 I could link to GDrive image using your description on WIndows 10.
Getting the correct link from google drive is tricky.

--Mohammad

SRF88

Mar 24, 2020, 2:03:23 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'm on Mac.

Everything happened as per the download instructions. Though when I tried it again I realised that the file had been given a .txt extension. I deleted the additional extension and when I dragged and dropped I was prompted to save and refresh, which I did. The plugin is now in the plugin tab - perfect.

I created an image using a 'shareable link' but I just get a '?' icon instead of my image. I will see if I can work this out.

Thank you for all of your help!

Mohammad

Mar 24, 2020, 2:43:12 PM3/24/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
SRF88,
  1. create a new tiddler
  2. add a field called: _canonical_uri
  3. copy and paste the sharelable link of your image on Google Drive as field value
  4. save and see what happen
The plugin seems to create such a tiddler. See this instruction if you failed: https://support.awesome-table.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002196665-Display-images-from-Google-Drive

--Mohammad

Mohammad

Mar 24, 2020, 2:44:01 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
SRF88,

copy and paste the sharelable link of your image on Google Drive as field value

Mark S.

Mar 24, 2020, 2:46:35 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
What? That's all it does? Create _canonical_uri ? I thought it might add some additional info goo gel wanted.

Mohammad

Mar 24, 2020, 3:59:54 PM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

What I wrote is to directly display an image from Google Drive!
There is no need to use the plugin for the example I gave in the above post.

SRF88 can try that to see if the link to GDrive is correctly given or not!

SRF88

Mar 25, 2020, 5:33:42 AM3/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

Mohammad - The instructions you provided work perfectly. I will be using plenty of images so I will be using the table template provided.

Thank you both for all of your help - much appreciated!

Sam

Mohammad

Mar 25, 2020, 6:44:46 AM3/25/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
SRF88,
 For more professional way you may have look at the below post.

Siniy-Kit has some amazing wikis integrating Google Drive  + Google Images.

--Mohammad