A HOWTO: Working with tables in wikitext and marking where yer at

Charlie Veniot

Oct 10, 2020, 11:41:45 AM10/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
I find it easy to lose my spot in a table whilst working on it, so I like to mark the spot with a jugular-grabbing unicode character.

Screenshot below.

Cheers !

Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 12.29.57 PM.png

Atronoush Parsi

Oct 10, 2020, 12:55:06 PM10/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Charlie,
 Creating long tables is error prone and boring when you come back to edit them. Why do not use a tiddler (look at tiddler philosophy)?
In your case each row can be a tiddler. Every tiddler can have three fields: text field, time field and data field
Then simply use TiddlyTables or Shiraz dynamic table to create such a long table.

--Atro

Charlie Veniot

Oct 10, 2020, 1:23:38 PM10/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
G'day,

Normally I would entirely agree (I had also thought of using journals), but in this particular case (for a multi-tracking thing for two power banks and multiple tests), I wanted the one no fuss no muss tiddler with everything "right there" so to speak.

Sometimes, when wanting to just do something quickly, extra layers of "fancy formality" overhead just gets in the way.

I prefer keep that good stuff "fancy formality" for when it really matters.

Charlie Veniot

Oct 10, 2020, 1:26:12 PM10/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Arg, I forgot to add:  in this particular case, the objective is to just have something I can export to PDF (or images) and include in a product review on Amazon.

So just a quick and dirty ends to a means.

clutterstack

Oct 12, 2020, 8:04:06 PM10/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
I like the marker idea, Charlie. Markdown tables (or wikitext tables) are such a pain to edit that I have been repeatedly quelling an urge to write separate tiddlers for each row of the one I'm writing (documenting for myself which macros do what, and where they live, in a personal plugin). It's so tempting in TW to write a "solution," thereby opening yet another set of parentheses before I finish the task at hand. Right now I'm jumping around between cells, so every time I look for my place I have to put down a new urge to institute a System. :)

...I actually broke down and wrote the tiddler to generate the table, and one single data-containing tiddler, just to scratch the itch, and went back to trying to maintain my discipline until the job is done.

Tables are an annoyance in any Markdown environment, but TiddlyWiki is devilish in that you know you could write something on top of it to generate the table you're making, and organize the data while you're at it...

Werner

Oct 13, 2020, 9:13:47 AM10/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
I found it easier resorting to plain HTML and using the CSS elements provided by Mohammad's great SHIRAZ plugin.

Charlie Veniot

Oct 13, 2020, 9:48:14 AM10/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yeah, the moment I want to get into more complicated columns and information, especially with on-going maintenance of record-esque tiddlers, I immediately go to HTML tables.  So much easier.

Dinky short-term one-shots with two columns, at most four if they have very compact info, wikitext/markdown is good enough for quick and dirty and low-overhead; otherwise, YUCK.

TW Tones

Oct 13, 2020, 8:12:49 PM10/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
 Folks,

Just a quick call out to say I also use html to build tables, you can simply wrap a row in a list statement (filtered), but I have also done tables where the columns (In the heading and rows) are also in a list, thus it is easy to add and remove and reorder columns.

Some work in progress to add a new level of wikitext customisation with a plugin will provide a whole new approach in the future.  it will for example be simple to do something like
'tr.h1 table row h1 style
'
td.small details content as small text

 Regards