Announcing TiddlyDesktop v0.0.14

Jeremy Ruston

May 5, 2020, 12:47:10 PM5/5/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I’m delighted to announce the release of TiddlyDesktop v0.0.14 for macOS, Linux and Windows:

TiddlyDesktop is a custom desktop browser for TiddlyWiki that makes saving changes transparent automatic. It supports TiddlyWiki Classic and TiddlyWiki 5 (both single file wikis and Node.js wiki folders). TiddlyDesktop is itself a custom implementation of TiddlyWiki and so is highly customisable, just like TiddlyWiki itself.

The improvements in the new version include:
  • Added new “Create Wiki” button to create new wiki files/folders from templates or by cloning an existing wiki
  • New command line option to open specific wikis at startup
  • Switched from static colours to using backstage palette colours
  • Reverted to less skinny fonts
  • Add a button to access Chromium’s flags page
  • Fixed a crash with SVG links
  • Setting to rename the wiki list window (useful if running multiple instances)
  • Added authorisation option for wikifolders (click "advanced" in the wiki list)
  • Fixed issue with “quit” item in tray menu not working
  • New easier to see tray icon in yellow for Windows and Linux (macOS requires monochrome tray icons)
  • Reduced download size for app
  • Updated nwjs to v0.45.5
  • Updated TiddlyWiki to v5.1.23-prerelease
  • New app icon
As with TiddlyWiki itself, TiddlyDesktop is a community effort that relies on the commitment and enthusiasm of many volunteers. I’d particularly like to thank @mklauber, @BurningTreeC, @BramChen and @half0wl who have contributed to this release via GitHub.

Feedback and questions are welcome,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mark S.

May 5, 2020, 1:04:46 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Congratulations on another release of TiddlyDesktop! TD is probably the most "normal" way for a newby tiddler-tiddler to begin his/her TW career.

The one feature I miss most with TD, being somewhat sight-challenged, is the ability to zoom in/out. Is that a necessary restriction of the built-in chromium browser, or could it be restored at some point in time?

Mohammad

May 5, 2020, 1:39:20 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks for all your efforts! TiddlyDesktop is a kind of plug and play tool for Tiddlywiki!
Specially for newbie there is no hassles to start their sweet experience with Tiddlywiki!

Cheers
Mohammad

Saq Imtiaz

May 5, 2020, 7:13:59 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
The create wiki button has already made this my go to for any situation where I want a single file wiki (testing things, demos etc).

I think we need to heavily promote TiddlyDesktop as the way to get started with TW for non techie people.

TonyM

May 5, 2020, 8:27:54 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy,

Thanks for the new release of this invaluable tool for tiddlywiki.
  • One Question though is can the ability to ask TiddlyDesktop to share tiddlywiki's via url, such as on the local network be made available?
    I vaguely remembers suggestions this was already possible but the documentation was not clear.
I am installing and testing the new release now, for other readers these are the key reasons I use it at present;
  • To launch my key task and knowledge management wiki I use every day in its own window independant of browsers
  • To launch a custom wiki that contains a directory of links that open in the default browser, launches local apps and batch files and displays contents of local files for review such as the result of a network check bach, the windows hosts file and more.
Thanks again
tony

Diego Mesa

May 5, 2020, 9:12:29 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
I 1000% agree with you! Its the one stop shop for getting started, automatic saving, etc.

TonyM

May 5, 2020, 9:38:13 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
I agree too, but there are a few paths that need to be at the top, and In some ways they should be limited with links to additional options

Here is an incomplete list that attempts to guide people, but I think we should have an even simpler TiddlyWiki Recommends eg; Timimi, TiddlyDesktop, TiddlyServer Bobexe

Personal use
  • Default save via download
    • Additional save in browser options to automate this are available
  • Timimi - Chrome FireFox Plugin and small local application running on multiple 64bit  Operating systems
    • Allows opening single file wikis in a browser from any location and saving them automatically
  • TiddlyDesktop - an application you install on windows/MAC/Linux to view, create and edit your tiddlywikis, optionally share them on the local network
    • Allows opening single file wikis and Folder based wikis from a list of wikis stored anywhere and saving them automatically
    • Has own built in browser
  • BobExe - Local server application providing Multi-wiki Multiuser Wikis, includes bob saver for accessing single file wikis at a local URL
Shared Use Plenty of additional options are available for Personal or Shared use as well
  • NODE.js install of tiddlywiki to access at local host or on the LAN (Underlying tech of many tiddlywiki server solutions)
    • One user at a time without further management
  • TiddlyServer Open and launch file and folder based wikis from any location and a browser based index of independant wikis.
    • One user at a time without further management
  • Bob and Bobexe multi-access and multi-user access with a tiddler level lock on content
Multi-device usage

Internet published
  • tw-reciever on php
    • One user at a time without further management, overwrite protection
  • ....
Internet Collaboration

Regards
Tony

TonyM

May 5, 2020, 10:23:02 PM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Further notes;

  • For some reason TiddlyDesktop takes twice the time to load the first page on WIndows 10 - Its OK but a fact for me
  • But seems to run faster when open (anecdotal only)
  • I tried to Create a new folder wiki, and pointed to a new empty folder. It opens with a page missing CSS
    • AM I supposed to do more to create such a Wiki?
  • I opened an existing folder based bob wiki, Is this unsafe?, there is not bob plugin visible!
Thanks
Tony

Mohammad

May 6, 2020, 12:57:17 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 6:53:02 AM UTC+4:30, TonyM wrote:
Further notes;

  • For some reason TiddlyDesktop takes twice the time to load the first page on WIndows 10 - Its OK but a fact for me
I have the same issue!
  • But seems to run faster when open (anecdotal only)
  • I tried to Create a new folder wiki, and pointed to a new empty folder. It opens with a page missing CSS
Confirmed! Also if you create a wikifolder using node.js which have favicon tiddler ($:/favicon.ico) the opening it in TiddlywikiDesktop
shows an empty window

TiddlyTweeter

May 6, 2020, 5:35:30 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks J. Most welcomed!

I look and try over a few days and comment.

Best wishes
TT

Stefan Pfister

May 6, 2020, 12:08:31 PM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

I don't want to critisice tiddlydesktop to much. I'm glad it really exists but there are some aspects which make me wondering. I made a video about it. It covers local storage and my user experience with tiddlydesktop.

Sorry about my english, I'm not an native speaker. Its just my opinion.

Best wishes
Stefan

TiddlyTweeter

May 7, 2020, 5:12:32 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Stefan Pfister wrote:

Sorry about my english, I'm not an native speaker. Its just my opinion.

Stefan

Your English is good. No problem. I know your English is good as you use idioms: "I am not that amused" (about browser saving) and "In all its glory" (about TiddlyDesktop).

You also celebrate Indiana ...

Annotation 2020-05-07 100706.jpg

I'll comment on your video next.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 7, 2020, 5:37:08 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Stefan Pfister wrote:
I don't want to critisice tiddlydesktop to much. I'm glad it really exists but there are some aspects which make me wondering.

Ciao Stefan

Very useful video because it ILLUSTRATES WELL ...

1 - the difference between something being an option on saving and ACTUAL issues you need GRAPPLE with to get them to work. Local Storage is not always elegant to use you show. To get the best from it you can need a lot of backstage understanding. If you don't you may fail.

I guess this stems from your understanding as a teacher with students? Students who (rightly) want to deal with as less hassle as possible to just get a thing running. I agree with them.

2 - I found your analysis of TiddlyDesktop very good! In particular weaknesses in integration with the O/S. But I think you slightly overstate it, making it "less good" than it is. BTW, some of that frustration is platform. TD is more discoverable on Windows.

TT