Is it possible to make clicking on a missing link create a new draft?

Alex Hough

May 9, 2016, 3:51:50 PM5/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hello TW,

I am finding myself working in edit mode and clicking on links on the preview pane. I am inspired by the discussion of live coding in Hangout 100

it would be quicker for me if clicking on a missing tiddler crated a new draft with the title of that tiddler....

or put another way, a missing link is parsed as a button which when pressed creates a new tiddler with the title of the link.

* it would be nice if the curser ended up in the body rather than in the title.

This idea kind of breaks through a convention. WikiText could create a button

Edit Mode?

There could be an edit mode where a link clicked on in preview always opens a draft

With tiddlers opening above the present, a pleasing zig zag workflow could develop, see below

Inline images 1

Alex

Jeremy Ruston

May 12, 2016, 12:59:16 PM5/12/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

It’s a good idea, but I’m afraid I don’t have time to work on it now. Perhaps create a GitHub ticket to keep track of the idea?

Many thanks,

Jeremy

<Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 20.50.22.png>

Alex

Alex Hough

Feb 14, 2018, 11:31:18 AM2/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

I've had a crack at this.... the route I was exploring has come to a dead end.

I started by putting code into fields then using a radio buttons to swap between tm-edit and link (see attached)

Then I started to look for the place in the edit template where the links are generated. I couldn't find this place!

In the tiddler generating the preview, $:/core/ui/EditTemplate/body/preview/output doesn't contain any link widget. Instead it uses a trasncluded variable and I can't find that anywhere else than in the $:/core/ui/EditTemplate/body/preview/output tiddler...

<$set name="tv-tiddler-preview" value="yes">

<$transclude />

</$set>

I've created a pull request [1], my first!

The overall aim is to have a simple radio button when makes all wikilinks open in edit mode.

I managed to do this a while ago with the Open tab in the sidebar [2] and I expected the preview pane to work in a similar way.

Solving this seems quite complex.... even more so than I though after some additional learning....

Alex

On 9 May 2016, at 13:51, Alex Hough <r.a....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello TW,

I am finding myself working in edit mode and clicking on links on the preview pane. I am inspired by the discussion of live coding in Hangout 100

it would be quicker for me if clicking on a missing tiddler crated a new draft with the title of that tiddler....

or put another way, a missing link is parsed as a button which when pressed creates a new tiddler with the title of the link.

* it would be nice if the curser ended up in the body rather than in the title.

This idea kind of breaks through a convention. WikiText could create a button

Edit Mode?

There could be an edit mode where a link clicked on in preview always opens a draft

With tiddlers opening above the present, a pleasing zig zag workflow could develop, see below

<Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 20.50.22.png>

Alex

toggle mode_ edit_link.tid

Mark S.

Feb 14, 2018, 1:21:15 PM2/14/18
to TiddlyWiki
I think (and I could be wrong -- it's been awhile) the links are generated down in the parsers (looking at github). If you find the right one, you might be able to have it create a "link" which is really a button to allow you to create a new tiddler.

-- Mark