Question about organization

David A. Gershman

Apr 10, 2018, 11:55:17 PM4/10/18
to tiddlywiki
So I was using TW5 today documenting some processes at work while I was
hashing it out.  It seemed TW5 got a little sluggish the bigger the
Tiddler got.  Now to be fair looking back at what I did, I should have
created more Tiddlers (perhaps 1 per section of effort) versus several
sections of effort in a single Tiddler.

Is this normal?  i.e. is TW5 build to work better with shorter Tiddlers
rather than longer ones?

As a rough measure of size, my typical Tiddler, using markup (no
graphics or such), was probably about 70-100 lines.

Just curious really so as to better use TW5 in the future.

Thanks!

--dag

Stephan Hradek

Apr 11, 2018, 2:32:20 AM4/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Did you have the preview on?

I usually switch it off when creating longer tiddlers.

OTOH: I just created on http://lipsum.com 50 paragrahs, 4797 words, 32624 bytes of Lorem Ipsum text, changed every "lorem" to [[lorem]] and every "ipsum" to ''ipsum'' and couldn't notice any slowdowns when pasting that text into a new tiddlert on tiddlywiki.com

David A. Gershman

Apr 11, 2018, 10:18:02 AM4/11/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm...I did have preview on.  I also wondered if it was just the junk machine I have...it's a work machine and they push a ton of big-brother bloat onto them and it still tends to crank the fan even w/16G.  I'll do some more investigating.

Either way, it sounds like TW5 doesn't have any major limitations in the length of the Tiddler and I was really looking to verify that.

Thanks!

Robin

Apr 11, 2018, 6:09:04 PM4/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Don't ask me why but if I use tiddlydesktop
And the backupfolder gets too big.
It affects my performance too
When I delete most of them it resolves itself.

TonyM

Apr 11, 2018, 8:42:20 PM4/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Robin,

I can only imagine this would be because your computer is nearing a full system disk. It healthy in most systems to have more than 20% free.

Otherwise if there are a lot of backup file in the folder at most it would effect the backup process which would take place during save not at other times.

There are other conditions like RAM and Windows and Tabs open in browsers, and other applications you run simultaneously.

If you can explain what conditions your  computer is in when you experience some slowness in tiddlywiki, I would be happy to provide additional suggestions.

Regards
Tony

Robin

Apr 12, 2018, 2:51:56 AM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Tony,

It was mas more a sugestion to what Davids problem could be.

I am running it on a old laptop that i dont mind losing.
This laptop is fol of documentation to take of site,  most of it transfered to tiddlywiki but not everything yet.
The plan is to have a online version If all info is in TW.
On my main PC it runs fine.

But on low end machines U see some problems faster (less memory/diskspace/etc)
Hence the poorly written possiible cause.

I my old laptop got sluggish maybe his did to. He did mention a junk machine too.

TonyM

Apr 12, 2018, 7:47:25 PM4/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Robin,

Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure what you are saying when you say "Hence the poorly written possiible cause.".

If you were referring to tiddlywiki itself I would like to assure you this is not true, although the dev contributors are working on performance improvements tiddlywiki does somethings so well that we are all reluctant to reduce its features in aid of low end machines or larger datasets.

I am still surprised on reports of performance issues on low end machines, such that my point is any healthy and maintained machine should work well in most cases.

Best of luck

Tony