Some help with Tekan Kanban

passingby

Jan 2, 2019, 12:36:30 AM1/2/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year to all.

In the spirit of new year, I am making a board with Tekan, to pin up all my ideas for personal and business realm. I love the interface and the ability to switch over to regular TW mode and back and especially the feature to view different board through a menu.
I have a few hitches which I hope to get some help on from you guys.

1.When I use the context menu for a list and click the archive button, the child cards are archived but nothing happens to the list itself. When I go into TW mode I can see that the card tiddlers get tagged as archive but not the list tiddler. Further, even if I manually tag the list tiddler with archive tag, it still shows up as a list on the board.

2. In the detailed modal view of a card, there is a green button, 'change', which when pressed has the effect of actually deleting the card tiddler. Is this the intended behaviour?

3. During my excited first hour, I am sure I downloaded a copy of Tekan from somewhere which had a settings button on the top right menu, via which I could change background colors of the various boards. But I have lost that copy and the official downloaded copy does not have that. How do I get it back?

4. The list tiddlers keep aligning horizontally when they grow in numbers. Shouldn't they be wrapping down to the next line below somehow? If this has not been implemented yet, can it be done?

Apart from the above, I wish for these features, if they can be implemented relatively easily:

1. a modal view of the list tiddler, much similar to modal view of the card tiddlers.
2. Ability to edit names of list and card tiddlers in the modal view.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Riz

Jan 2, 2019, 7:11:17 AM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello there,

Author of Tekan here.
Tekan comes in 2 forms. As a plugin, and a standalone form(which I named Tekkan, with an extra k). The plugin will let you switch back to Tiddlywiki, while the standalone version will not. While this may seem like a shortcoming, standalone version has distinct advantages. It is more performant, it will let you add duplicate cards and has more features than plugin version.

Standalone version.
https://ibnishak.github.io/Tekkan/Tekkan%20Demo.html

Plugin version.
https://ibnishak.github.io/Tesseract/projects/tekan/Tekan.html (Click on the "double-circle" button on the page toolbar to switch between Tekan mode and Tiddlywiki mode.

Now coming to your points.

1. Yeah, archiving lists is not a feature I thought about. It is simple to implement though.
If you want to remove from the board lists you tagged archive, open the shadow tiddler '$:/Tekan/Main' and find the following line.

<$list filter="[tag<currentBoard>!has[draft.of]]" variable="currentList">

Now change it to

<$list filter="[tag<currentBoard>!has[draft.of]!tag[Archive]]" variable="currentList">

2. No. When you open the detailed modal view, try clicking on the title of card. It will switch to editable. Once you are done editing, click change. That is how it is intended to be used. Not the most intuitive design, I can see. That is why it was changed in the standalone version.

3. See the standalone version.

4. Implemented in standalone version. Open sidebar and select "scroll Y". This has some CSS issues as of now.

5. Card tiddler names are already editable. Open the detailed view of card and click on title.

Now word of caution: Tekan has not seen significant development for a year because of three reasons.
1. The community response was rather mute to the release of Tekkan One. This is the major reason behind feature disparity between the two versions.
2. The support for drag and drop in mobile platforms were rather buggy back then. So adaptation to mobile platforms required extensive hacks. In addition, tiddlyfox was on the brink of being outdated, which put the future of "easy standalone single html" Tiddlywiki at risk. Much as I love the node version, the charm of TW5 was the single file version. I didn't want to dedicate a lot of time to a platform I was unsure of remaining part of my workflow.
3. Each year I get a few holidays to dedicate to my side projects, and this year I had to prioritise Timimi as it was a more pressing issue.

I am seeing a little more interest in Tekan project nowadays. Once I release the final version of Timimi, I will revive the Tekan project and bring it up to date. There are some significant improvements in what was previously the bottlenecks regarding the project. When I do, I will definitely consider your points.

Sincerely,
Riz.

https://ibnishak.github.io/Timimi/

passingby

Jan 2, 2019, 1:06:21 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Good morning Riz,
First of all, THANK YOU, for your plugins, both Tekan and Timimi. I have Timimi installed in my chrome browser and it makes the saving process so natural. I personally never could bring myself around installing a server for serving up a saveable TW. The attraction of TW being Standalone is a main thing. That is why I loved Noteself. It makes local saving on Android (I use android) so painless and natural.

Personally I feel noteself and Timimi are the best.

 And this plugin, Tekan. Its very useful..I shall try out your pointers and explanations, which I think shall solve the issues.

Thank you for your responses.

TonyM

Jan 2, 2019, 6:21:12 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Riz,

I will second that appreciation of Timimi and tekkan. I did not voice it publicaly as we were corosponding privatly testing the new timimi release.

The server implementations are great, powerful and and importiant addition to tiddlywiki but strengthening the single file handling continues to be importiant. Your Timimi contribution is an importiant one to tiddlywikis future and will have a multiplier effect.

I hope to add some tools to enable tiddlywiki to be used more readily as smart documents and Timimi empowers this. Thank you so much.

On Tekkan, when you come to revisiting it, I still struggle with applying it more generically to data in tiddlywiki. It would be more powerful if it could be retrofitted to any wiki to provide not only visualisation, but its queue management features. An example may be provide a root tiddler (optional filter) and use its children as the columns, and their children as items.

Perhaps other ways to organise what the columns and rows are. It could for example take an existing tw5 with a project field and tekkan active tasks by project column, or distribute project tasks into project task groups and order them for action would be great.

Tekkan is by definition a rapid rearrangement tool, visualising and prioritisation tool. By sitting on top of the tiddlywiki platform in a more generic way it stands to be much more powerfull than the solutions it compeats with, and be even more relavant to tiddlywiki. Perhaps this deserves a fork since the original already offers a powerful tool.

Love your work
Tony

TonyM

Jan 2, 2019, 7:49:32 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Riz,

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Jan 2, 2019, 8:24:53 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
I am revisiting the Tekan board plugin, and many of my former questions / desires are already answered,

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Jan 2, 2019, 9:55:58 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Riz,

Forgive me going off on a wouldn't it be great journey on Tekan,

In exploring the plugin for application on top of my own primary wiki, I have being exploring in more detail the great tekan plugin. DO you have a gitHub presence for this plugin that I could raise issues that may be included in a future version?

The reason I ask is as I uncover the details of how it works, to run it on top of my current personal GTD system, I can see some easy ways to add some of your road map items and also generalise it further, which would give me and others better options to integrate it with existing solutions. I can see you are a structured coder and already make it quite hackable with buttons etc... I have some key areas I think you could improve that would allow the addition of custom or "powerups" not unlike other kanban solutions.

I offer this not only to promote somethings I would like to see, but also to lend a hand to your development effort. But no time pressure, or demands on my part, only if I can add value.

Regards
Tony

Rizwan Ishak

Jan 3, 2019, 4:23:07 AM1/3/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

The plugin version doesn't have a GitHub repo yet. I will add one when I can get to a machine.

I have a couple of pull requests to the core I want to commit. If they get accepted, it would make the creation of Tekkan like editions more streamlined.

By all means, your inputs are welcome.

Sincerely
Riz

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 3, 2019, 4:35:57 AM1/3/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Riz

I have a couple of pull requests to the core I want to commit. If they get accepted, it would make the creation of Tekkan like editions more streamlined.

Do let me know the issue numbers and I'll tag them for v5.1.20.

Best wishes

Jeremy

By all means, your inputs are welcome.

Sincerely
Riz

Riz

Jan 3, 2019, 8:46:54 AM1/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Will do

Sincerely,
Riz

Joshua Fontany

Mar 20, 2019, 8:45:28 PM3/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Bump.

Tekan/Tekkan is awesome. Definitely interested in seeing this get developed more once I wrap up my JSON Tiddlywiki projects.

Best,
Joshua F