Two Alternatives to Tiddlyspot: 1. GitHub Pages 2. Google Drive

Mohammad

Nov 9, 2020, 10:19:58 AM11/9/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tiddlyspot.com has closed its free services for hosting Tiddlywiki and there are alot of Tiddlywiki files on Tiddlyspot.com which cannot be edited / maintained anymore.

Fortunately Tiddlywiki is enough flexible to be able to switch to alternatives very quickly. Here, there are two alternatives

GitHub Pages
This is the recommended method, it needs like one hour, to set up your new account on https://github.com/ and host your Tiddlywiki using GitHub Pages. You can build a whole website using this method. It is possible to maintain the page as a collaborative work (but needs a little more efforts)

1. Tiddlywiki older than TW 5.1.20
If you have an old Tiddlywiki and insisted to publish it, then use the instruction in this tutorial https://kookma.github.io/Tiddlywiki-and-GitHub-Pages/
read carefully the instruction tiddler.

2. Tiddlywiki based on release 5.1.20 and newer [recommended]
If you have a Tiddlywiki based on release 5.1.20 or newer, or you can upgrade your old Tiddlywiki, then use the instruction has been given here: https://kookma.github.io/TW5-GitHub-Saver/
This method is simpler, straight forward and better for non-tech people.

The published Tiddlywiki on GitHub can be accessed by any viewer has the site URL and a rather new browser!

Google Drive [The simplest - Limited to Android Users ]
Tiddloid (https://github.com/donmor/Tiddloid) and TiddloidLite (https://github.com/donmor/TiddloidLite) are two freely distributed Android Apps can be installed on an Android device (phone/tablet) It can simply create a Tiddlywiki (or any number of wiki you like) on Google Drive the same way you create a new one on your local disk. You can open your wiki using Tiddloid and edit it and save back to Drive.

The Tiddloid works simply and any non-tech user can host his/her Tiddlywiki on Google Drive.

1. If your audiences have Tiddloid you can give access to them from Google Drive
2.  If you want to share to anyone who has not Tiddloid you can share it but viewer has to download and then open the Tiddlywiki, the browser does not open directly Tiddlywiki from Google Drive
NOTE: The hosted Tiddlywiki on Google Drive can be accessed by any  other viewer  has the site url . You need  to distribute the link to viewers (See  Share Files from Google Drive)

--Mohammad

Victor Dorneanu

Nov 13, 2020, 1:06:31 PM11/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
There is also Tiddlydrive: Edit tiddlywiki files directly on Google Drive. And by using multcloud you can export your Tiddlywiki to different cloud storage providers (e.g. AWS S3).

Victor

springer

Nov 15, 2020, 6:22:05 PM11/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad (and other github folks),

I tremendously appreciate the TW5-GitHub-Saver tutorial that you've shared for "non-tech people"...

(Victor, TiddlyDrive with GDrive is indeed almost as convenient as tiddlyspot for editing my own projects, but it doesn't seem to function as a public-facing server, right? So in that respect it doesn't come close to filling tiddlyspot's shoes.)

Even with your essential GitHub TW5 tutorial, it's been slow for me to wade through the github jargon. I finally got to the point where my sample uploaded tw file is properly served up via its new github url (which I can share, in case it helps with troubleshooting): http://springerspandrel.github.io/tw/index.html

I also generated a password token through github, and set up the Control Panel > Save > GitHub fields in accord with tutorial:

>Open the index.html from step 2 and from $:/ControlPanelGitHub Saver tab fill out the required information
  • >Username=the username for the Git service account
  • >Password=access token
  • >Target repository=the repo name from step 3 (e.g. kookma/reponame
  • >Target branch=use default (master)
  • >path=use default (/)
  • >filename=index.html
But now any attempt to save (tried on GC, FF, and Safari) ends with "Error while saving: XMLHttpRequest error code: 401" ... I went down a rabbit-hole of wondering whether I need to create a "gist" (since you mention gist, alongside repo, in connection with authentication details), but I'm clearly wasting my time. I've tried working with an alternate github OAUTH access token, as well as using my overall github password.

And I'm afraid I've now squandered far more than my budgeted hour away from my actual job. Any tips?

Thanks to all, and especially to Mohammad!

-Springer

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 4:19:58 PM UTC+1 Mohammad wrote:
...GitHub Pages
This is the recommended method, it needs like one hour, to set up your new account on https://github.com/ and host your Tiddlywiki using GitHub Pages...
2. Tiddlywiki based on release 5.1.20 and newer [recommended]
... instruction has been given here: https://kookma.github.io/TW5-GitHub-Saver/
This method is simpler, straight forward and better for non-tech people.

The published Tiddlywiki on GitHub can be accessed by any viewer has the site URL and a rather new browser!
--Mohammad

Mohammad

Nov 16, 2020, 12:15:37 AM11/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Springer,
 Check the FAQ in tutorial

Best
Mohammad

springer

Nov 16, 2020, 7:15:06 AM11/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, thanks for following up. I do understand that the 401 error reflects a problem with authorization, and that's why I clarified (in my post) that I *had* attempted to follow your tutorial, including the steps to create the personal access token (with repo and gist permissions), and even tried doing those steps a second time once the first failed. Clearly, something is not right, but it seems to be something not addressed in the tutorial (or something that is there, but which I somehow failed to register, because of my total unfamiliarity with github). I'll try again when I have another hour to spare.
-Springer

Mohammad

Nov 16, 2020, 11:10:20 AM11/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Springer,
 I checked the tutorial and also you repo on GitHub at https://github.com/springerspandrel/tw
If you note your repo is in main branch instead of master branch.

So, in Tiddlywiki (your index.html) for target branch for saving enter main instead of master.

Saving is a little slow.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad

Nov 16, 2020, 11:19:49 AM11/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
It seems GitHub has changed its default branch from master to main

@Jeremy
The documentation for saving to Git Service shall be modified. See

master --> main

--Mohammad

springer

Nov 17, 2020, 9:09:18 AM11/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, alas that is not the issue either; I had already tried entering "master" and "main" as well as leaving the branch field blank in my settings. I also tried creating a /wiki/ folder in case that would make a difference. For what it's worth, I just tried downloading a fresh empty tw5, and saving to github (with same credentials). 401 always. So it must be something about my GitHub account or how it's handling authorization tokens (though I've also tried with my overall GitHub password, with no luck). I'm not trying to treat tw google groups as GitHub tech support, but I'm following up here partly in case others run into the same issue. And of course I'll follow up with another post if I resolve the problem.
-Springer

Mohammad

Nov 17, 2020, 11:54:44 AM11/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Springer,
 To check the step by step tutorial, I created a test repo and everything went well. So I am almost confident the tutorial should work.
 I may recommend to create a new Token and try again. The main branch is main and NOT master.

Give another try and let me know.

Mohammad

springer

Nov 17, 2020, 7:56:47 PM11/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, three times yesterday I had started fresh with a new token.

Tonight, I tried adding a new email, and verifying that new email, in case that was the catch. (My old email from when I set up the account in June did NOT claim to lack verification, and displayed no verification link in the settings area, but I'd already done every other troubleshooting step multiple times. Might as well be redundant here too...?)

YES, I experienced ONE error-free save... then some 409 errors... but then another successful save. And, the clincher: success at getting those edits to load via another browser.
This seems to be the breakthrough I needed.

So y'all, if you seem to be hitting GitHub 401 errors, try adding an email account and going through verification for the new email account.

Cheers, all!

-Springer

Mohammad

Nov 18, 2020, 12:47:08 AM11/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Springer,
 I have explained all these errors in FAQ, see
When 409 error is seen?Not confirmed, but seems when the auto save is turned on or when click the save button repeatedly it is appeared! 409 Conflict is to reveal a concurrency problem in competing updates

So, I think your TOKEN was not correct!

Good luck

Prestige

Nov 19, 2020, 12:33:31 PM11/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

I saw in the GithubSaver Tutorial that there's a way through Travis-CI and Github to host on Github Pages for TW with individual tiddlers.

I was curious to know if this method also allows us to edit and save on github directly just like single file TW does with GH Saver?

Thanks :)

Mohammad

Nov 19, 2020, 2:01:33 PM11/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Presige,

No, it is not possible.

But if you have a Node.js+Tiddlywiki setup on your computer you can edit a single tiddler and then push the change to GitHub.
It is also possible to use a simple text editor to edit tiddlers in your repo.

Cheers
Mohammad

Dummy ME

Nov 19, 2020, 2:42:50 PM11/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mohammad,

Yes, that part I understood. I was wondering if there's a way we can open up a single file individual tiddlers? That way we can use github saver to update the index.html and add some action workflow to open up that html back into my tiddlers folder.

I hope you are getting what I am meaning to say.

As for github pages integration, @saq shared a way on reddit to directly deploy static site from github itself, using action workflows. It worked fine for me back then.

Thanks

Mohammad

Nov 20, 2020, 12:33:26 AM11/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
Prestige,

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:12:50 PM UTC+3:30 Prestige wrote:
Mohammad,

Yes, that part I understood. I was wondering if there's a way we can open up a single file individual tiddlers? That way we can use github saver to update the index.html and add some action workflow to open up that html back into my tiddlers folder.

What I know is: (a) having a single file Tiddlywiki and working on that like Tiddlyspot. (b) having a wikifolder (includes tiddlers in files) and buliding index (index can be bult on the cloud e.g Travis-CI or on your computer using Tiddlywiki+Node.JS). I do not know a third mehod but I like to learn if any!

I hope you are getting what I am meaning to say.

As for github pages integration, @saq shared a way on reddit to directly deploy static site from github itself, using action workflows. It worked fine for me back then.

I appreciate to share the link and I will have a look, BUT note that static pages are different from Tiddlywiki single html file which is a dynamic one.

Stobot

Nov 24, 2020, 11:00:15 AM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks all for the discussion. I'm struggling through trying to replace Tiddlyspot functionality... Spent some time figuring out the github thing - did finally get it to save (sporadically anyways - frequent 409s). I didn't do the "pages" part as that was a paid upgrade. So is my understanding right:

Without the paid "pages" part, I can setup a file that will indeed push up to github, but it then doesn't appear to save the file locally - so it's one or the other? For each "session" I'd have to download from github, work and save, then discard the local version and start again next session? Seems like a rough workflow...

If I paid for the "pages" part - would it then more work like TiddlySpot where I wouldn't need the local file, and I could use the actual online url from any computer?

Mohammad

Nov 24, 2020, 11:58:43 AM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sobot,
 You may know when opening a Tiddlywiki from cloud eg Tiddlyspot or any other host, you actually download it to your computer. So you have a single file in your browser. The GitHub Page + Tiddlywiki lets you to save directly back to GitHub like Tiddlyspot.  For this functionality there is no need to use paid service from GitHub!

When 409 error is seen?Not confirmed, but seems when the auto save is turned on or when click the save button repeatedly it is appeared! 409 Conflict is to reveal a concurrency problem in competing updates

Good luck

Mohammad

Nov 24, 2020, 11:59:56 AM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Stobot, sorry for misspelling your name

Stobot

Nov 24, 2020, 12:13:56 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mohammad - you've given me hope that I'm just missing something simple then. Are you saying that there's a way to get to my wiki - say index.html via a url? Sorry, this is my first time using github...

From the repo clicking on the file name (index.html) it takes me to https://github.com/<username>/<repo>/blob/main/index.html but from there I only see a download and delete button. How do I open the file in a rendered state?

Stobot

Nov 24, 2020, 12:19:29 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry, want to make sure you know regarding the 2 things I didn't respond to just-now

1. In the repo settings at the bottom it says GitHub Pages where is says "Upgrade to make this repository public to enable Pages" with an Upgrade button. Is there *another* way to enable pages I'm not seeing?
2. For the 409 error - yes I saw your note, and in fact I've turned off auto-save, for me it gives me the warning if saves are even minutes apart - so I guess I'd have to study to see what frequency in saving it allows to prevent the concurrency error, it must be a long time.

Mohammad

Nov 24, 2020, 12:27:26 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, GitHub is for programmer, so getting used to it takes a little time. But I am sure you will overcome all these issues.
The tutorial you have used is a TW+GitHub page, so yes you can setup a whole website with multi wikis with single web address and let any reader just know the address visit your pages no worry at all.

I use public repo and free GitHub services! but you can have private repo! as much as I know GitHub pages work for public repo.

Mohammad

Nov 24, 2020, 12:30:55 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki

2. For the 409 error - yes I saw your note, and in fact I've turned off auto-save, for me it gives me the warning if saves are even minutes apart - so I guess I'd have to study to see what frequency in saving it allows to prevent the concurrency error, it must be a long time.

This error may be explained by Jeremy! but as much as I now the TW autosave try to save your wiki when you make a change like editing and saving a tiddler! I normally clear my username in GitHub Saver in Control Panel and using Tamimi lets to work all the time locally. As soon as I am finished I just put the user name and press Save Wiki! It updates my GitHub page! That is all.

Cheers
Mohammad

Stobot

Nov 24, 2020, 1:34:51 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Checking back in to close off from my side. Got it to work, two points that might be worth adding / clarifying to the instructions:
1. I was using journal.html, instead of index.html, could probably make it work, but gave up and went back to index.html
2. The page has to be public (or you have to have a paid account) to take advantage of the rendering capabilities (aka github.io environment). Not a big deal, but was setting up as a journal, so instinct was to make private.

Thanks all here for the help. If somebody has any other ideas on reducing the 409 errors further (or even a nicer "try again later" message or something), let me know :)

Mohammad

Nov 24, 2020, 2:29:55 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you! I will add to instruction.

Dummy ME

Nov 24, 2020, 2:35:11 PM11/24/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@stobot

From what I can understand, I hosted the TW5 wiki directly on github and saved it used Github Saver that is present in the wiki. It worked totally fine.

I didn't have to pay for it. I think payment is only required when you keep your repo private instead of public. If your repo is public, you can visit your github pages by the link.

Mark S.

Nov 24, 2020, 5:04:10 PM11/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Just to clarify, you can save to a private repository even without a paid account.

You can achieve some level of privacy even on a public repository by encrypting your TW. You just have to make sure that every edition of your TW file is encrypted. Any un-encrypted commit is remembered by GH forever.