A TiddlyWiki community book.

Zachary Storer

Sep 19, 2019, 12:32:49 PM9/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

Is anyone interested in a TiddlyWiki community book? I'm thinking of something for newbies to TiddlyWiki. The current documentation seems to be scattered, and I don't know of a good central location to find tutorials on how TiddlyWiki can be used for various tasks (authoring a book, writing college notes, Getting Things Done, etc...). Although, I wonder how difficult it might be to create a book since TiddlyWiki is so flexible with what it can accomplish. Has anything like this been attempted before?

--

Zak

Zachary Storer

Sep 19, 2019, 12:37:33 PM9/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
I was thinking of something like this: https://nostarch.com/gimp, but for TiddlyWiki.

Watt

Sep 19, 2019, 12:47:05 PM9/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM

Writing and Editing might have what you're looking for.

The documentation train is just leaving the platform a few posts down under 'What's the point of effort'. All aboard! No ticket required.

Watt

Sep 19, 2019, 1:16:50 PM9/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
And Diego's just posted this. Eric's in a league of his own so a better example and indicator of the size of the task would be hard to find.

https://github.com/ericshulman/InsideTiddlyWiki

https://tiddlytools.github.io/InsideTW/

Check out some of the documentation posts and you'll see it's a recognised problem under much discussion at the moment.

There is also a discussion group specifically for discussing TiddlyWiki documentation improvement initiatives: http://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywikidocs

Luis Gonzalez

Sep 20, 2019, 3:30:19 AM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Some time ago I started writing a manual. You can find a previous version in TiddlyWikiDocs - previos version spanish manual.
I anybody want to know how I document you can find other manual (about freeplane mindmaping app) I wrote in Manual de Freeplane en espanol

I can continue with him if the community helps me. What I need:

* I will write it Lyx (latex) so all translation will be easy to do. It is a very easy visual latex editor.
* I will write in spanish with all images in english so you only have to translate the text.
* We would have to agree the index of contents to include.
* Help me on those issues that I don't know in depth

I like to document free software to help in its progress. I'm from Spain so writting in English is a big effort.

If many of you like the idea I will start with the project... with your help.

Arlen Beiler

Sep 20, 2019, 9:09:25 AM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
For a centralized, collaborative wiki, I've started https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/TiddlyWiki_Manual. Please feel free to contribute to it as you like. It is quite scattered as well, since almost nothing has been done with it. I would be completely open to other alternatives, but I feel like TiddlyWiki needs a multi-user wiki.

Arlen Beiler

Sep 20, 2019, 9:16:02 AM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
As an experiment, I created a new repository and opened the wiki for anyone to edit.

Feel free to edit, everyone. Maybe this will give us a good way to stay organized.

Mohammad

Diego Mesa

Sep 20, 2019, 11:18:26 AM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
All

In another thread, I brought up the idea of starting from Eric's Book/Manual and going from there. Do you think its best to start fresh or go from Eric's?

@TiddlyTweeter

Sep 20, 2019, 11:35:19 AM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Diego

Is Eric okay with that?

TT

Diego Mesa

Sep 20, 2019, 12:23:09 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Good question - there is no license on the books github. Will inquire with him directly and report back

Pit.W.

Sep 20, 2019, 12:27:29 PM9/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Honoured All,

if I am not mistaken, today five years ago, on Sep.20th 2014 at 17:00 hrs

        Tiddlywiki 5.1.0

was released.

I hope that Mr. Ruston has a good bottle of wine available to celebrate.

Pit.W

Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

Eric Shulman

Sep 20, 2019, 12:46:37 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 8:35:19 AM UTC-7, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Is Eric okay with that?
On Friday, 20 September 2019 17:18:26 UTC+2, Diego Mesa wrote:
In another thread, I brought up the idea of starting from Eric's Book/Manual and going from there. Do you think its best to start fresh or go from Eric's?

The most recent TiddlyBook revision (Jan 3, 2018) is based on TWCore v5.1.15, and can be found on TiddlySpot: http://insidetiddlywiki.tiddlyspot.com/

The TiddlyBook *content* is organized using a TW standard "TOC" outline (using a "root tag" of "InsideTW").  In theory, the content tiddlers can be copied directly into an empty.html, where you could then use <<toc "InsideTW">> to view it without any of my customizations.

The rest of the TiddlyBook tiddlers are my own original macros and JS code that provides a *framework* for displaying and navigating the content in other ways.  This includes lots of extended functionality (e.g, "Slidebars", "CookieJar", "Settings", "History", "Save with Change Logging", etc.) that I plan to eventually share as separately published plugins, so I'd prefer NOT to have those propagate to other TW documents until I have a chance to update them to the current revision (TWCore v5.1.21), as they definitely need some work to match the many changes in the TWCore that have occurred since January 2018.

To see a list of all content and framework tiddlers, you can view the PartsList, here: http://insidetiddlywiki.tiddlyspot.com/#PartsList

To view the Table of Contents Slidebar, mouseover or click on any of the chevrons (double arrows) in the middle of each side of the document margin.

To view the entire document content tree in one go, click the "View All" button (last icon in the upper left corner) http://insidetiddlywiki.tiddlyspot.com/#TiddlyTools%2FViewAll

For fun:

Try the "Settings" button (upper right corner).  You can use it to quickly change many options that control the appearance (colors/textures, font sizes, etc.) of the document, and... your chosen settings are preserved using my Cookie plugins, so that they will be applied each time you visit the document... without any need to save changes!

There is also a "Favorites" system that allows you to mark any content topic so it will be listed in the Favorites popup (third icon in the upper left corner).  The favorites are also stored using the Cookie plugins, so that YOUR chosen favorites are set each time you visit the document.

Note that, by default, the document is shown using a "read-only" mode, so that the usual TW editing features, and the ability to view the underlying framework "source" tiddlers, are hidden from the casual *reader* of the document.  To access those features, you can toggle the "lock" button (upper right, next to the settings button).  If you really want to "borrow" some of the framework tiddlers, please ask me directly before doing so.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools: "Small Tools for Big Ideas!" (tm)
InsideTiddlyWiki: The Missing Manuals

Birthe C

Sep 20, 2019, 2:35:09 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
You are right Pit.W,

And what a party it has been and still is. TW5 better and better.

Thank you Jeremy Ruston for lots of serious use but also lots of fun and hobby fiddling.

Birthe

A Gloom

Sep 24, 2019, 12:24:07 AM9/24/19
to TiddlyWiki
Zachary

Mordor you say?... well you can have my wiki... : )

 joking aside-- keep an eye out for when I announce "Searching high n low" is online.  It's a portal concept for documentation/search of made to support those involved in the "What's the point of effort?" thread.  You are invited to use in full or part the "Searching high n low" wiki to aid you in your wndeavor.

TonyM

Sep 24, 2019, 11:27:33 PM9/24/19
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

I have some useful content, which is still in a final draft state as something useful to use and share. Its a one pager over here

I wish I had this when I was a new user because it is an extensive listing of valid

Variables, Parameters and transclusions

Of note is I have intense debate comments enabled and you can use a wordpress.com account to connect with, and there is also disqis and Yammer addons. Being able to directly comment on a tiddlywiki is very helpful. and the author can move comments into the content with cut and paste.

I am sharing so people can see how individuals can contribute useful information that should be submitted to a community book.

Regards
Tony

Mohammad

Sep 24, 2019, 11:55:59 PM9/24/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,
 The TableOfContents in the left side bar is quite interesting!
When you choose an item in the list, the tiddler is opened and the item is highlighted!
When you navigate through the contents by clicking the next and previous tiddler the
TOC is updated and the highlighted item in the list is updated!

My question is, can we use this TOC as a plugin in other wikis?
Is there any underlying JS?

--Mohammad

Eric Shulman

Sep 25, 2019, 1:02:48 AM9/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 8:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mohammad wrote:
Hi Eric,
 The TableOfContents in the left side bar is quite interesting!
When you choose an item in the list, the tiddler is opened and the item is highlighted!
When you navigate through the contents by clicking the next and previous tiddler the
TOC is updated and the highlighted item in the list is updated!

My question is, can we use this TOC as a plugin in other wikis?
Is there any underlying JS?

There is one little bit of JS: TiddlyTools/TOC/scrollhere.js, which is used to ensure that the highlighted TOC item is always scrolled into view, even if a long toc list is in a scrollable area and that item is not currently visible when you navigate to it (i.e, when opened by clicking a link within tiddler content).

There's also some tie-ins with other parts of the TiddlyBook, such as support for Favorites (which shows a star next to each topic that is marked as a favorite), and the ReadOnly toggle (when unlocked, it adds a "more commands" dropdown when you mouseover a topic).  If you just copy just the TiddlyTools/TOC/* tiddlers, those extra features will simply not be shown, since their macros won't be defined in your document.

I'm going to create a separate TW that packages just the TOC and related tie-ins, so it will be easier to import the pieces into your own documents.  Note that these pieces are not actually implemented as a true TW plugin... they are just a bunch of tiddlers (i.e., no shadows).

I'm a bit busy right now with my primary work project, but I should be able to put something together sometime in the next few weeks.

-e

Mat

Sep 25, 2019, 4:14:02 AM9/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
Zachary Storer wrote:
Is anyone interested in a TiddlyWiki community book? I'm thinking of something for newbies to TiddlyWiki.

1)
Maybe this is obvious but I think it is worth stating explicitly:

One reason why e.g the official docs are so difficult to write is because of formal requirements in style. A community book could be more like a (single issue) magazine with multiple authors that all have their own take on things. Their own style, their own structure in their texts. If the articles are e.g tagged with the author name, a reader can find his favourite authors and stick to those.

2)
For this project to not be a pipe dream, is someone taking the lead on this? (Zachary?) How is it implemented? Hosted? How are people to contribute?
And most importantly - and the reason why 99% of "we should make a TW community collection"-projects fall: How does the project survival not rely on one guy keeping up his interest for it? Or is the intention a one-off that will be outdated in a year?
Sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the thread.

3)
If an author named B agrees with an article written by author A, then B can add his name to it to give further trustworthiness to A's article.
Articles should probably have a stamp/tag showing the TW version  it was written in, for context.
The comments plugin would prolly be useful in a project like this... (but how are people to comment?)

<:-)

Riz

Sep 25, 2019, 6:49:59 AM9/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
As someone who wants to see improved documentation, I would offer my support. To be precise, practical and realistic, here is my offer. I would commit to write guide article or document a piece - 1 to 2 articles once a week, if whoever takes initiative in this assigns me a topic. Consider it an honour contract. There is the natural assumption that whoever takes the initiative will hold himself/herself to similar promise, so as to ensure the continuation and survival of such an endeavour.

If we can get a group large enough (say 15-20) to do this, I would say in a span 6-8 months we would have a big enough wiki.

sincerely,
Riz

@TiddlyTweeter

Sep 25, 2019, 7:12:33 AM9/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
Riz
 ... whoever takes initiative in this assigns me a topic.

Exactly right IMO.

That approach is sustainable. Limited effort on something one likes & knows. Do it. Done.

It is no problem being "assigned" when you opt in for it. It is a GREAT release to be able to get on and DO and finish.

Best
TT

TonyM

Sep 25, 2019, 8:28:48 AM9/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
And I can cheat by using my current offline notes.

Tony

@TiddlyTweeter

Sep 25, 2019, 10:11:13 AM9/25/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eric

No one said "Thank you!" yet. I DO. Thank you!

FYI, I would not be using TW without YOU!

Some long time ago I saw TiddlyTools and was amazed at it. Truly, it was astonishing.

But at the time I did not know how to use it. But it stuck in me. And some time later I came to TW5.

Best wishes
TT

Mohammad

Sep 25, 2019, 11:32:29 AM9/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks for clarification Eric!

I really appreciate your time and efforts and will remain to see those tools, the most important TOC tool!
Please kindly let us know when it is available.

Cheers
Mohammad

Cd.K

Sep 28, 2019, 2:24:42 PM9/28/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Arlen Beiler,

could you please add another repository to store linked images?

Regards
Cd.K