[TW5] Getting macros to work at all

Bob Wentworth

Nov 4, 2015, 4:12:45 AM11/4/15
to TiddlyWiki
I am presumably missing something really basic, because I can't seem to get the core macros to work at all.

Here is text I tried as the body of a tiddler:

Version is <<version>>.

Date is <<today "[DDD]">>.
Date is <<today "DDD">>.

Here is a list:
<<list filter "[tag[systemConfig]] [sort[-modified]] [limit[5]]">>

Here is a timeline:
<<timeline created 5>>

Here is the result for alltags:
<<allTags>>

More attempts at lists:
<<list filter "[tag[Core Macros]]">>
<<list filter "[tag[$:/tags/SideBar]]">>

This results in the following being displayed:

Version is 5.1.9.

Date is . Date is .

Here is a list:

Here is a timeline:

Here is the result for alltags:

More attempts at lists:

The only macro that displays anything is the <<version>> macro. (I'm using Firefox 41.0.2 on a Mac. I've been using basic TiddlyWiki functionality for quite some time, with no problems.)

Could someone give me a clue how to get any of the other macros to display something? What am I doing wrong / misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Evolena

Nov 4, 2015, 6:10:44 AM11/4/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Le mercredi 4 novembre 2015 10:12:45 UTC+1, Bob Wentworth a écrit :
I am presumably missing something really basic, because I can't seem to get the core macros to work at all.

Here is text I tried as the body of a tiddler:

Version is <<version>>.

Date is <<today "[DDD]">>.
Date is <<today "DDD">>.

The macro name is not "today" but "now".

Here is a list:
<<list filter "[tag[systemConfig]] [sort[-modified]] [limit[5]]">>

"systemConfig" tag no longer exists in TW5.
In tW5 "list" is a widget, not a macro. So you could use either
<$list filter="[is[system]sort[modified]limit[5]]"/>
or
<<list-links "[is[system]sort[modified]limit[5]]">>
(if you want the reverse order for the modifier field, use "!sort[modifier]" instead)

Here is a timeline:
<<timeline created 5>>

This one still exists, but the parameters are not the same.
<<timeline 5 dateField:"created">>

Here is the result for alltags:
<<allTags>>

Here you have to use a list widget, there is no macro for it.
<$list filter="[is[tag]]" template="$:/core/ui/TagTemplate"/>

More attempts at lists:
<<list filter "[tag[Core Macros]]">>
<<list filter "[tag[$:/tags/SideBar]]">>

See before: list is not a macro but a widget, the macro is list-links

This results in the following being displayed:

Version is 5.1.9.

Date is . Date is .

Here is a list:

Here is a timeline:

Here is the result for alltags:

More attempts at lists:

The only macro that displays anything is the <<version>> macro. (I'm using Firefox 41.0.2 on a Mac. I've been using basic TiddlyWiki functionality for quite some time, with no problems.)

Could someone give me a clue how to get any of the other macros to display something? What am I doing wrong / misunderstanding?

TW5 syntax is not the same as TWClassic.

Thanks.

Bob Wentworth

Nov 4, 2015, 3:13:02 PM11/4/15
to TiddlyWiki
Ok, as I suspected, it was something really basic... I believed I was reading TW5 documentation, but was apparently actually reading TWC documentation. In retrospect, the mistake I made was trying to Google for information on how to do things in TiddlyWiki -- it took me places (e.g., http://tiddlywiki.org/Macros) that didn't clearly identify which version they were referencing. That's the insight I needed. Thanks!

Marc J. Cawood

Oct 16, 2016, 6:42:08 AM10/16/16
to TiddlyWiki
I'd like to add that searching for a "hello world" macro/plugin tutorial for TW5 is not turning up much.

The purported "Developing plugins using Node.js and GitHub" on tiddlywiki.com does not seem to exist.

BJ

Oct 16, 2016, 11:52:02 AM10/16/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Marc,
'Developing plugins using Node.js and GitHub' lives in tiddlywiki.com/dev
it is just about a minimum way of getting setup  on github.

searching the archives here (as you are doing) and on  TiddlyWikiDev is probably the best idea.

all the best
BJ