tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com

Mat

Jun 13, 2017, 2:10:03 PM6/13/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The idea here is for a complete newbie to easily (and freely) get an online TW5.

http://tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com/

It uses the excellent TiddlySpot service provided by cousins Baird.

Please try it out, and also note how it behaves on the new site you set up.

Those fields at top in the front tiddler are out of my control, including how it shows after clicking "create wiki".

I'm particularly interested to know if there are browsers that the setup doesn't work with... which I believe there is... and which I cannot solve, but I can at least inform about it on the site.

<:-)

Amit Ahire

Jun 13, 2017, 2:18:45 PM6/13/17
to TiddlyWiki
I havnt tested it out fully, So will reserve my comments on it.

But correct me if I am wrong, tiddlyspot as a service was shutting down wasn't it? Or was it someother tiddlywiki related site?

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:10:03 PM UTC-4, Mat wrote:
The idea here is for a complete newbie to easily (and freely) get an online TW5.

http://tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com/

It uses the excellent TiddlySpot service provided by cousins Baird.

Please try it out, and also note how it behaves on the new site you set up.

Those fields at top in the front tiddler are out of my control, including how it shows after clicking "create wiki".

I'm particularly interested to know if there are browsers that it doesn't work with... which I believe there is... and which I cannot solve, but I can at least inform about it on the site.

<:-)

Mark S.

Jun 13, 2017, 2:47:33 PM6/13/17
to TiddlyWiki
That was tiddlyspace.com.

Lost Admin

Jun 14, 2017, 9:46:24 AM6/14/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I tried using Chrome on Windows.

1) I realize you don't have a choice, but having to re-enter the site-id in "step 2" is weird.

At the end of step 2 it says:

Click the red load button and wait 10-20 seconds until step 3 appears below...

But the button in question is yellow on my screen. The text in the button is red.

2) The embedded (iframe?) for the wiki creation tool causes a popup warning about submitting to an embedded page (in chrome). This is a warning that the site might be doing something phishy (it's a common way to steal credentials).

3) The embeded content is bigger than the iframe (div?) it is in which results in weird scrolling.

4) After creating the site, the iframe (div?) content fits even worse than before.

Step 3 worked (after I got my password right).

5) I know there is no choice, but entering your password 3 different times (or 4 if you count the initial creation and confirmation) is somewhat confusing from a new user perspective.

6) You really need to have an initial tiddler in StoryList. Having a completely blank TW5 without any open tiddler to start (a splash page/edit-this-page-to-make-your-site) it is hard to tell what to do after step 3. You said you wanted this for new users, having a blank grey screen leaves a bit of a "uh what now" moment.

stevesuny

Jun 20, 2017, 7:18:18 AM6/20/17
to TiddlyWiki
Mat, this is excellent. I understand the reasons for the oddities, but in general this is much better than trying to explain how to build a tiddlyspot from scratch. I'll be using this...Thanks for developing...//steve.

stevesuny

Jan 15, 2018, 8:22:38 PM1/15/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat, I'm about to roll http://tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com/ out to my students in class (http://designwritestudio.com) as an option for saving & serving tiddlywiki files.

I think this is easier than the alternatives

BUT:

All of my tiddlyspot-hosted wikis created with your tool come equipped with your kind of cool plugin, SideEditor visible. I see this tool as for advanced users, so I'd rather hide it or eliminate it, and deliver the most basic TW5 possible. It looks like you tried to set visibility to hide, but the tiddler  $:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/plugins/TWaddle/SideEditor/Button is missing in my newly configured tw5 tiddyspots.

FWIW, I tried to copy your wiki and fix it myself in my own version of your tool, but that wasn't really working at all (none of the content in the tiddlers was visible...?; kind of weird...).

SO:

Any possibility that you could maybe take out the plugin in the TW5 that you create on tiddlyspot? Or set visibility to hide?

Thanks!

//steve.
Message has been deleted

Birthe C

Jan 15, 2018, 9:49:05 PM1/15/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Steve,

It is the hide at not setup domain that hides the text. Open $:/Setup/Stylesheet an inset your own.

Birthe

Steve Schneider

Jan 16, 2018, 7:52:34 AM1/16/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ah ok!! Thanks.

Sent from Gmail Mobile
Message has been deleted

Steve Schneider

Jan 16, 2018, 4:17:43 PM1/16/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Did you try chrome? 23 of 24 students got it to work this morning

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM JWHoneycutt <jjhon...@icloud.com> wrote:

@ Steve Schneider (stevesuny)
I already happened to have an old TiddlySpot account and tried to utilize you intro script to the course, but since it wasn't a "new" account it would not proceed.
I created a second "jwhoneycutt2" instance and it failed (maybe a firefox issue?)
I created a third "jwhoneycutt3" instance and it did not advance to step 3
How do you suggest I get to a "Welcome, you made it" screen so I can be officially (auditing) the course?

JWHoneycutt

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Schneider

Jan 16, 2018, 4:32:33 PM1/16/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just go to the tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com and don’t use my directions

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 4:20 PM JJHoneycutt <jjhon...@icloud.com> wrote:
I have created a fourth instance entirely on chrome, but it does not get to the third step.  Attempting again receives a “Already exists” type of error.  I am trying a fifth time now.

One of my problems is that you have a popup window that is half off the screen to the left and I may be missing instructions there.

JWHoneycutt

Steve Schneider

Jan 16, 2018, 4:42:06 PM1/16/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
There seem to be challenges with tablets and some browser configurations. Check your configuration. Make sure no security is blocking things. Not sure what that would look like.  Perhaps others here can replicate
Message has been deleted

Mat

Jan 18, 2018, 6:31:38 AM1/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
@Birthe - I'm afraid my computer has some problem so I fail to upgrade (all) my TWs on tiddlyspot to 5.1.15

@Steve - it seems your issue was resolved then, yes?

@JWHoneycutt (and @Steve) - please don't hijack threads. Your issue is clearly not what I posted this thread for. From now and on, others who want to read about "tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com" (i.e the thread title) will now have to wade through your irrelevant (even private!) matters. Have the decency to start a new thread or email each others instead.

<:-)

JWHoneycutt

Jan 18, 2018, 6:46:55 AM1/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
@Mat

please don't hijack threads...

My apologies - I truly don't know google group etiquette (yet).  I did delete my posts.

Re: TiddlySpot, I only have success starting it in Chrome. I have inadvertently created total five accounts and will try to remove the first four.

I would also like to learn how to selectively share a subset of tiddlers from a "Mother.html" to the open publicly viewable TiddlySpot.html

stevesuny

Jan 18, 2018, 7:55:39 AM1/18/18
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 6:31:38 AM UTC-5, Mat wrote:
@Birthe - I'm afraid my computer has some problem so I fail to upgrade (all) my TWs on tiddlyspot to 5.1.15

@Steve - it seems your issue was resolved then, yes?

Not really. I mean, it works generally. Is there a reason that tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com does not create a tiddlywiki that would is an empty tiddlywiki (exactly as you would get from tiddlywiki.com)? That way, tiddlywiki.com works as a manual, and extra plugins like sideeditor and changed settings such as CamelCaseAsLinks are consistent across both methods (i.e. use tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com or download empty from tiddlywiki.com).

@JWHoneycutt (and @Steve) - please don't hijack threads. Your issue is clearly not what I posted this thread for. From now and on, others who want to read about "tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com" (i.e the thread title) will now have to wade through your irrelevant (even private!) matters. Have the decency to start a new thread or email each others instead.

Yes, agreed. sorry; was responding on phone and didn't notice it went to group.

<:-)

Mat

Jan 18, 2018, 9:57:19 AM1/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
@JWHoneycutt - yeah, discussion group etiquette is sometimes tricky, I agree. But for new topics it should be a simple matter to just start a new thread. IMO especially threads that others will refer to, such as plugin announcements, are particularly desirable to keep on topic. But, hey, mistakes happen ;-)

Re: TiddlySpot, I only have success starting it in Chrome. I have inadvertently created total five accounts and will try to remove the first four.

Not sure exactly what goes wrong for you but I suggest you start a new thread and detail your issue.

<:-)

Mat

Jan 18, 2018, 10:10:40 AM1/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
stevesuny wrote:
Is there a reason that tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com does not create a tiddlywiki that would is an empty tiddlywiki (exactly as you would get from tiddlywiki.com)? That way, tiddlywiki.com works as a manual, and extra plugins like sideeditor and changed settings such as CamelCaseAsLinks are consistent across both methods (i.e. use tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com or download empty from tiddlywiki.com).

Well, the only reason was that I thought of it as improvements ;-)  But, I've removed the SideEditor plugin now.

Actually, I made that whole tiddlyspot setup mainly for you and your students after you and I met in the TiddlyWiki Oxford meetup last summer.

However, I'm keeping Felix Kupper/Hayashi's TopStoryView plugin because the behaviour from it is simply superior compared to default. It scrolls tiddlers to the top of the screen rather than default behaviour which only sometimes scroll to top and sometimes to bottom of screen :-/

As for automatic CamelCaseAsLinks.... gaaah, I really dislike it as default but OK, for you, it is now default. As you can see now, the mentions of TiddlyWiki and TiddlySpot there are now "missing tiddlers"... which surely must be more confusing for your students... or anyone for that matter.

<:-)

stevesuny

Jan 19, 2018, 5:46:20 PM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mat!

It is a smashing success! I'd just reviewed all of the initial submissions and it looks like 32/35 were successful! (and that was before you make the mods). I think is a great solution for new tiddlywiki users, and will continue to use it for this class for the next few weeks. I hope TiddlySpot can manage, but I expect it will.

I didn't mean to suggest you hadn't improved things -- but it is much easier if everything behaves the way tiddlywiki.com says it will. TopStoryView is fine, but the sideeditor was just too different. Remember, these folks have never seen a tiddlywiki, and they don't have much to work with in terms of experience!

//steve.