tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot site stuck on step 2

A Gloom

Aug 13, 2019, 11:28:54 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Using FF 68.0.1 (Win8.1 64bit), NoScript disabled, private browsing & normal modes

Step 1 works fine

(just site id, not url, lowercase, no spaces in id)
(pw, combination of lowercase, uppercase & numbers, londer than 5 characters)

(going to the url for the new wiki, it shows the classic TW layout and control panel for tiddlyspot, so I assume Step 1 worked)

Step 2, no visible results (doesn't initiate Step 3), tried both the Step's uplosd button and the TW stock save button, gave it more than enough time to do something, 10 minutes orso

(used same id (not url) & pw from Step 1)
(got an error msg (id and password don't match) when I refreshed and forgot to put the site id in, just pw, so I got some signs of life from Step 2)
(putting in incorrect id or pw doesn't evoke the warning message)

Is Chrome still the browser to use to initially set up/install the wiki?

Mat

Aug 14, 2019, 12:49:33 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi A Gloom, I'm the creator of tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com (...not of tiddlyspot itself).

See if you actually are the owner of the site ID and it was not already taken, e.g by going to the controlpanel of the tiddlyspot, i.e go to:

http://YOURSITEID.tiddlyspot.com/controlpanel (exchange YOURSITEID for your site ID)

(this has nothing to do with the controlpanel tiddler in a TW)

If you cannot log in there, then that site ID was either already taken or you have somehow messed up with the password and are not using the same one that you registered with. If you cannot access then there is nothing that can be done and you should create another tiddlyspot with another site ID.

(BTW if you're on a normal speed internet then that "Step 3" should appear within a few seconds. If it hasn't worked within 30 sec or even 20, there's no point in waiting more. )

<:-)

A Gloom

Aug 14, 2019, 4:42:27 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki

Hi A Gloom, I'm the creator of tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com (...not of tiddlyspot itself).

Thank you for the quick reply, I saw you fielding questions in earlier posts about tiddlyspot problems, so I'm glad you notices my post : )

(this has nothing to do with the controlpanel tiddler in a TW)

The control panel for tiddlyspot, I figured

If you cannot log in there, then that site ID was either already taken or you have somehow messed up with the password and are not using the same one that you registered with. If you cannot access then there is nothing that can be done and you should create another tiddlyspot with another site ID.

I was able to get into control panel with the same pw I was using in Step 2 (I've been sopying n pasting from a text file to avoid typing errors-- u use convulted pw's)

the control panel shows no email set and the creation date/time when I created the account-- Step 1 on the tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot site but the file size (400 kb) looks like TWC not 5.1.19

I shall try again with FF with another id, then maybe try with TWDesktop, not interested in installing Chrome-- I hope TWDesktop uses Windows High Contrast Black

or... in a previous post it looked like I could overwrite the TWC with my local TW5 file?

Mat

Aug 14, 2019, 5:13:54 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
OK, going into controlpanel was merely a test to ensure that you are using the correct password.

Yes, the idea is that the tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com wiki is uploaded to overwrite the TWC that by default is there when the spot is created.

When you upload the TW5 onto it for the first time, you should use chrome. Thereafter it should be no problem to save stuff using FF when you're using it. You could perhaps also try it from another computer, who knows.

If you don't succeed in uploading, you can send the tiddlyspot url to me and the password, perhaps a temporary one or if you change it afterwards, and I can see if I can upload it. I don't have any magic tools or anything, I will do exactly what you (probably) are attempting.

<:-)

Birthe C

Aug 14, 2019, 5:34:59 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

I love your work, but it seems to me, that it is often misunderstood. You explain it very well, I would think on http://tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com
In fact you do that on the very first lines.

@A Gloom

Using it you get a copy of Mat's wiki on your own newly created tiddlyspot. after creating your new wiki, do not follow the link, but continue on Mat's site until finished and saved.
You are still left to deal with your own wiki, to drag and drop or import tiddlers into the wiki, you created this way.

I have not had any success uploading any local TW using anything but Chrome or Chromium.

Birthe

A Gloom

Aug 15, 2019, 1:06:08 AM8/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
Pleased to say I finished the setup process using latest version of Opera-- Birtha C mentioned Chromium and I've been needing to reinstall Opera so i made it a priority.

My gratitude Mat & Birtha C-- especially for the generous offer to upload yourself.

Concerning tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot site-- I had no problems understanding it, it is well written and laid out-- nice job...

just that FF fails in the setup process-- you may want to make a note of that on the setup page.