Presentation - Tools menu in Sidebar is too messy

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 6:55:45 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
I was looking around for a configuration option to switch OFF the descriptions for the tools in the Tools sidebar ... Is there one?

It looks like this in Firefox on a narrower (portrait) screen ...

I find it contradictory. Its giving documentation that is spoiling the simplicity of the layout. Would it not be better if the descriptions were shown on hover? By now I know what the buttons do and the explanations are largely redundant.

Best wishes
Josiah

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 7:57:12 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
I see they are shown on hover. So why have the descriptions at all??

J.

@TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I was looking around for a configuration option to switch OFF the descriptions for the tools in the Tools sidebar ... Is there one?

... Would it not be better if the descriptions were shown on hover?

Jed Carty

Jun 12, 2017, 9:07:15 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
As for why there are descriptions, having to hover to see the descriptions is annoying and I wouldn't ever think to do it. Having them in both places make it so that people like me actually see them.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 9:22:09 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jed,

The issue for me is they break neat layout on my portrait screen. In landscape it doesn't happen.

It an issue, perhaps, about the orientation of your viewport?

I'm not sure what it looks like on a smartphone in portrait?

I'm not adverse to the descriptions until they start to wrap. But when that happens it ruins the simplicity.

Best wishes
Josiah

Mat

Jun 12, 2017, 10:13:47 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah, I agree. You can do this:

title: whatever
tags
: $:/tags/Stylesheet
text
: .tc-sidebar-lists .tc-muted { display:none; }

If you want that to be a "configuration option", you could make button that toggles the stylesheet tag in that tiddler. The button could be put e.g at top of the concerned sidebar tools listing.

<:-)

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 10:19:40 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Just open the SideBar/Tools tiddler: http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FSideBar%2FTools and remove the <i> element. see:

 <i class="tc-muted"><$transclude tiddler=<<listItem>> field="description"/></i>

-m

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 10:20:50 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

Your approach is much less destructive than mine :))

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 11:01:56 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat & PMario

The neo-brutalist approach of PM was very economical.

Shouldn't someone be documenting this?

Or getting it into the main TW for small screen users?

Could it be applied through a "Bundle?"

Best wishes
Josiah

PMario wrote ...
Hi Mat,Your approach is much less destructive than mine :))

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 11:19:24 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Before ...

Just open the SideBar/Tools tiddler: http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FSideBar%2FTools and remove the <i> element. see:

 <i class="tc-muted"><$transclude tiddler=<<listItem>> field="description"/></i>

After ...

Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Lost Admin

Jun 12, 2017, 11:25:21 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
While I'm loving the "neo-brutalist" terminology, might it be better to work up a "mobile" TW Theme (style sheet) with this and other tweeks for small portrait shaped screens (mobile) and include that in the default themes of TW?

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 11:39:24 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Lost Admin

I sort of suspect that my "After" should be the *default* CSS look on mobiles & tablets. They, IMO, suffer if there is any cruft.

Its been interesting using a desktop monitor in portrait (I use one monitor of three to present conventional text for reading well). It is not the same as smartphones but similar basic layout issues do crop up.

Josiah

Lost Admin wrote:
While I'm loving the "neo-brutalist" terminology, might it be better to work up a "mobile" TW Theme ....
Message has been deleted