Using TiddlyWiki in multiple tabs?

Klaus

Aug 9, 2019, 10:57:12 AM8/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
As I understand, at least the single-file use of TiddlyWiki isn't safe to use in multiple tabs, as each tab will not learn of changes saved in another; Saving from multiple tabs may thus result in lost changes.

A similar problem seems to appear still when using the NodeJS server, albeit to a lesser degree; While the changes don't get lost, tiddlers in tabs others than the one that made the change, were not updated.

Is there any set-up that allows to safely use TiddlyWiki across multiple browser-tabs or devices without the risk of losing changes?

Mark S.

Aug 9, 2019, 11:05:33 AM8/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm curious, what is your use case that requires you to have the same TW open in multiple tabs? I'm always trying to reduce the number of open tabs.

I believe Bob is  aware when changes occur.

Good luck!

Klaus

Aug 10, 2019, 6:55:45 AM8/10/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Workflow mostly. As I work I open tabs, and then work my way through them. With multiple tiddly-wiki tabs, I would be able to integrate tiddlywiki in the overall workflow better.

Anther example would be having a tasklist tiddler as a pinned tab in Chrome, while using separate tabs for actually doing the work, especially when frequent context switches are needed.

Or Dropbox: If I forget to close the wiki on one PC before using it on another, the same issue may occur as with multiple tabs.

For my private use I consider using one of the tiddlywiki hosting services, but for my work-notes this won't be viable.

Mat

Aug 10, 2019, 7:23:28 AM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Klaus, as Mark notes - Bob is probably your answer.

This thread made me realize something:

If I use Bob, I would probably also be able to use TiddlyClip! A limitation with TiddlyClip is that you cannot clip to multiple wikis that are in different windows. That missing feature in TC has totally prevented me from using it.

<:-)

TonyM

Aug 10, 2019, 9:52:18 AM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Klaus

You are aware if you open tiddlers in new window with the button provided on tiddlers they still are in the parent wiki? For example open a table of contents tiddler and you can remote control the tiddlers in the story of the patent wiki.

With a little imagination the tiddlers you open could do almost anything.

Tony

Klaus

Aug 10, 2019, 10:22:33 AM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
It doesn't really help; Windows are a mess compared to tabs, so I quite explicitly DON'T want to open them in new windows for task-management purposes.

Klaus

Aug 10, 2019, 10:23:52 AM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'll have to check, if Bob also works, if the files are synchronized in a Dropbox. "Multi-User" definitely works for multiple tabs though.

TonyM

Aug 10, 2019, 6:24:16 PM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Bob is your only option then. The Bob exe install is very easy. I would say bob is multi-access.

I have a large and sophisticated to do projects and reference wiki that I use everyday. I like using a 3 screen setup but my key wiki only needs one window. Perhaps there are design decisions you have made that are making additional tabs more desirable. One feature you may like tabs within tiddlywiki for open tiddlers. I will look for that plugin.

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Aug 10, 2019, 8:47:31 PM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
See BJ's story Top tabs. You can keep the tabs inside Tiddlywiki this way.

Rehards
Tony

Klaus-Dieter Bauer

Aug 11, 2019, 2:35:58 PM8/11/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip! It is definitly useful for me.

However, it is so for a different use-case, as it won't allow freely mixing tiddly-wiki tabs with webpages and PDFs.

 But I'd say bob remains the better option for me.

For me it is about being able to freely intersperse tabs from webmail, pdfs, and whatnot. Tabs within a browser tab don't help me with that, in the same way Windows in the desktop environments window manager don't help; Only browser tabs currently allow freely grouping and reordering related content manually.

Klaus

Klaus

Aug 13, 2019, 5:29:36 AM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Now that the base problem is solved... Is there some way to make the title of the browser tab reflect the name of the currently open tiddler?

E.g. instead of "My Work Wiki" I want the title to be either "MyCurrentTiddler" or "MyCurrentTiddler - My Work Wiki".

TonyM

Aug 13, 2019, 7:11:49 AM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Klaus

Do you mean change the title of the tab depending on the open tiddler?

This is not the standard because you could have more than one tiddler, however it may be possible. The tiddler title and subtitle is used to construct the tab title. This can be changed, if not automatically for the last opened tiddler.

Does this sound on track ?

Tony

A Gloom

Aug 13, 2019, 6:11:34 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Now that the base problem is solved... Is there some way to make the title of the browser tab reflect the name of the currently open tiddler?
E.g. instead of "My Work Wiki" I want the title to be either "MyCurrentTiddler" or "MyCurrentTiddler - My Work Wiki".

If you're speaking of the web browser tab...

I don't know how the wiki's html rile fitle title tag is constructed, but its constructed of the site (wiki right side) title and subtitle

thjis from the single file TW main file

<link id="faviconLink" rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
<title>WikiWitchery — vers 13.℧☘♠☠ The Skunkworks ☠</title>
<!--~~ This is a Tiddlywiki file. The points of interest in the file are marked with this pattern ~~--><!--~~ Raw markup ~~-->

and thats what displays in the browser tab and its dynamically (realtime) constructed-- as you edit the title or subtitle the browser tab text changes with the edit, so once you find what controls it, you might be able to change it to work with tiddler tilte in story river filter (or something similiar)

Mat

Aug 13, 2019, 6:31:43 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Here's a simpler solution

In the Ctrolpanel, exchange the wiki title for the following:

I'm here assuming what you're requesting is for the browser tab to show the title of the current tiddler

If you really want to see the name of the current tidldler all the time in the in the left bar, you just remove the div tags and only keep that transclusion part.

<:-)

Klaus

Aug 14, 2019, 7:36:29 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
This indeed does what I wanted :)

Klaus

Aug 14, 2019, 7:37:27 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Correction: It does so almost. The title doesn't get updated when I close a tiddler.

Mat

Aug 14, 2019, 8:30:10 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 1:37:27 PM UTC+2, Klaus wrote:
Correction: It does so almost. The title doesn't get updated when I close a tiddler.

I believe this is because currentTiddler is still the same even if you close it. What you might interpret to be the new currentTiddler isn't - it is merely that closing a tiddler shrinks the tiddler river so "something" ends up where you're looking. It still doesn't have the focus.

Personally I have a solution for another issue that incidentally also solves this; I've modified my "close" and "delete" buttons to also actively navigate to the tiddler above the closed one, instead of visually having the succeeding one be dragged up into view. This active navigation also sets the currentTiddler (...at least I assume it does). If you're interested I could post my code for these modified buttons.

<:-)