N00b here

Autumn Gray Eakin

Aug 12, 2019, 10:40:40 PM8/12/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I was introduced to TiddlyWiki by a professor during my informatics undergrad studies about 10 years ago, and am so rusty with anything script or code like due to lack of practice and a TBI shortly after that time.

I’m pretty smart and learn well from man/docs but I am struggling with the dearth of “dummy” level walk throughs I can find. There’s a series on YouTube that is REALLY helpful but I am having a super tough time troubleshooting errors that I am getting.

Are there any forums/groups/etc that would be open to occasional super-basic n00b support?

Also I’m having a tough time trying to figure out how to use a single personal  TW via my OneDrive or SharePoint spaces between my multiple devices (OSX, iOS, W10, possibly also xNix soonish as well).

Anyway, I totally understand that folx may not have the energy for a modest amount of handholding (I get what that’s like!) so any response of any kind is deeply appreciated!

Thanks for reading.
JamieAutumn

On Aug 12, 2019, 19:26 -0700, tiddl...@googlegroups.com, wrote:
TonyM <anthony...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 06:43PM -0700

Have you seen recent threads?

Also review your source wiki to see if there are overwritten shadow
tiddlers. Speculation: Give the reference to language did you add or remove
a language? Perhaps do that again after the upgrade.

Regards
Tony

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 8:14:11 PM UTC+10, Hubert wrote:
TonyM <anthony...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 06:38PM -0700

Paul,

Depending on the structure of the data in your excel it may be as simple as
generating a csv file and importing that.

Personally I would use TiddlyWiki as the interactive database and generate
the documents as needed.

I am working on a project right now to generate multiple documents, for
multiple audiences, spreadsheets and PDF documents, from a fairly complex
set of data in tiddlywiki. PDF's can be converted to Word and with
spreadsheets, that some clients demand, I have a template in which I paste
the CSV format output my application generates, then use text to columns.
We used to have multiple documents and they all needed visiting, if one
small thing changed, now the data is stored in a single file based
tiddlywiki hosted on an O365 SharePoint instance.

SharePoint provides the check in and Out functionality to allow serial
editing of the single file wiki.

Unlike excel Tiddlywiki provides an easy to design interactive environment
with plenty of User interface control. Ultimately I intend to provide a
"website" generation (tiddlywiki) with only the data for the different
clients, so they can visit and get the latest, with search and filters,
stopping the need for distribution, bypassing documents altogether with a
user option to print a PDF.

For more sophisticated maths evans formulaue plugin is great but I can
avoid this with the new operators.
There are also editable table plugins and more that could help you.

Regards
Tony

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 10:53:49 PM UTC+10, Paul Richardson wrote:
A Gloom <barro...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 06:31PM -0700

>> 5.1.21 most likely be a bug fix for 5.1.20?

well 5.1.20's banner may have to be redone in this manner >> <<

[image: typodemons.jpg]

<< is no help >.<
MagoArcade <parisfl...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 04:29PM -0700

Thanks for your replies, all. Especially to Felix as that looks ideal -
just need to find some time to have a tinker.

btw, Felix - it was your TiddlyMap plugin and Gould's Dropboard plugin that
inspired me to get coding in tw! I'm trying to pull it all together to make
a project management application - so thanks for such a great plugin!
coda coder <codacoder...@outlook.com>: Aug 12 02:27PM -0700

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 5:17:02 PM UTC-5, mervin mecklenburg wrote:
> But instead of providing a list of tiddlers, it returns the tittle of the
> entire Tiddlywiki file. So, the mechanism appears to handle the entire
> tiddlywiki as a single tiddler, and the upgrade fails.

It's a bug I noticed a while back. Does it look like this?

In my case, as you cane see, my file does not have an extension. If I add
the *.html* extension, it works fine.
Joshua Fontany <joshua....@gmail.com>: Aug 12 12:58PM -0700

Hi everyone!

I am really excited to announce that I have my proof of concept ready for
"modular" User Interfaces for TiddlyWiki!

I'm also very excited to officially announce updated JsonMangler and
JsonEditor plugins for TW v5.1.20!

There were some last minute tweaks, but I've gotten new example wikis up
and running. Any comments or bug reports are greatly appreciated!

https://joshuafontany.github.io/TW5-JsonMangler/

https://joshuafontany.github.io/TW5-jsoneditor/

But, hey, wait Josh, that first thing you said. What does that mean?

Screenshots are always nice. :D

[image: JsonUI_conceptUI_viewTemplate_08.12.2019.png]

[image: JsonUI_conceptUI_editTemplate_08.12.2019.png]

I'll try to keep the explanation high-level, but basically:

- A Jsoneditor Widget uses a 'schema definition' (a json tiddler) to
render one of two "data json tiddlers".
- The first data-tiddler holds wiki-text (not raw data!) for the View
Template. This wikitext points to fields on the current tiddler and renders
a custom UI elements for each.
- The second data-tiddler holds wiki-text for the Edit Template! It
points to fields on the current tiddler and renders custom UI elements for
each.
- Finally, we have two system tiddlers - one tagged $:/tags/ViewTemplate
and the other tagged $:/tags/EditTemplate.
- The only real difference between the two template tiddler's TEXT is
that one points a JsonEditor to the view-data, and the other points to the
edit-data.

In this way, we can "group, organize, and modularize" our UI elements. This
helps to greatly reduce cognative-load (how much stress it take you to
think through designs).

Also, simply tag a new Tiddler in the wiki with the `Character` tag, and
all of that slick UI automatically appears and is completely responsive. ;D

More information can be found in the "JsonUI" tiddler in my example
wiki: https://joshuafontany.github.io/TW5-jsoneditor/#JsonUI

This is only a VERY rough proof-of-concept using a commonly known fictional
character (lots of reference data). I have ideas for more complex (behind
the scenes complex) versions later on. There are also a few gremlins to
work out (jsoneditor tabs re-set state on each wiki update - wooops), and
I'm going to be updating my fork of the base json-editor library, would
like to be able to set a custom Font-Awesome glyph for the collapse button
based on a tiddler's value, etc, etc.

This was inspired by working with other languages that use "Model, View,
Vew-Model" architecture, and I think we can start to make some really cool
complex things by combining this with all of the other plugins that are out
there!!

Let me know if you all have any questions!

Best,
Joshua Fontany
Jon <five...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 12:33PM -0700

Mark, you were quite right I *did* modify an existing core module (now I
know what that is!)

Encouraged by others here locating their own problems, I had another look
and in my case it was $:/core/modules/widgets/navigator.js 1.

I only noticed it because of the "1". I can't remember what prompted me to
do this but thanks for the pointer and now glad to be fully upgraded.

Regards
Jon

TonyM

Aug 13, 2019, 1:15:20 AM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Autum,

Are there any forums/groups/etc that would be open to occasional super-basic n00b support?

Yes this forum is for you, more than occasional - do your best to test us
  • Where possible try and keep the questions simple (for your own benefit) ,
  • Be careful to describe what you want to do, before you start suggesting how to fix it, or why you think it is not working or how you tried to fix it.
  • Provide example code and if possible such that it works on tiddlywiki.com so we can all try it in the same wiki.
Regards
Tony

TonyM <anthon...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 06:43PM -0700

Have you seen recent threads?

Also review your source wiki to see if there are overwritten shadow
tiddlers. Speculation: Give the reference to language did you add or remove
a language? Perhaps do that again after the upgrade.

Regards
Tony

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 8:14:11 PM UTC+10, Hubert wrote:
TonyM <anthon...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 06:38PM -0700
Joshua Fontany <joshua...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 12:58PM -0700

A Gloom

Aug 13, 2019, 6:26:29 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Also I’m having a tough time trying to figure out how to use a single personal TW via my OneDrive or SharePoint spaces between my multiple devices (OSX, iOS, W10, possibly also xNix soonish as well).

Here's somewhere to start about Onedrive, Sharepooint

Right now your questions are pretty general so general research is best.

Never feel like you can't ask a question, they endure my lunacy so they can handle super noob questions--

but for best result, probably should ask more deatail (versus general) questions

TonyM

Aug 13, 2019, 8:38:22 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Autum,

I am currently deploying tiddlywiki onto SharePoint.  place it in a site pages library, retrofitting a wikipage library as these are favored for load speeds. I insist on check in and checkout and only permit one editor at a time. I use major and minor versions so visitors only see major versions. For me there is a step needed to move from one saver to another. I am developing my site on top of a PHP server so I save a copy, open it with firefox timimi (file rather than server) and disable the tw-receiver saver before renaming to *.aspx and loading into the sharepoint library.

Regards
Tony