Writing Recommendations

Ovy Ortega

Feb 19, 2021, 12:12:34 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
I am looking for any plugins, themes or ideas to make my tiddlywiki feel more like a writing machine. I am not a TW novice, I am a TW amoeba!  So advice towards this goal is much appreciated.

Adore tiddlywiki, it is like a deep ocean where I am barely treading water.

Douglas Glenn

Feb 19, 2021, 12:22:12 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Goto to the main website, select 'Community' from the dropdown menu, then select 'Community Editions'. It lists customized tiddlywikis for specific uses. It is likely you may find one that exactly suits your needs. I use a couple variations myself, because like you I am still learning to get the most from the platform.

strikke...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2021, 1:22:30 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
It is easy to use a lot of time there (and even more testing possibilities :-) Look for Writing and editing.

David Gifford

Feb 19, 2021, 4:49:38 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
My top two recommendations for making TW more like a writing machine:

1. The editor-autolists plugin (https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/editor-autolists.html), if you don't mind writing in bulleted or numbered lists. It makes it easy to hit enter and go to the next line, and hit tab to indent.

The second one frees up visual screen real estate so you are not distracted by all the stuff in TW edit mode.

OOC

Feb 19, 2021, 6:36:31 PM2/19/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thus far I grabbed notywrity and projectify. But looking at others as well.

Mat

Feb 21, 2021, 6:43:02 AM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Depends on what you mean with "writing machine" but I personally use the SideEditor all the time (I am the creator of it).

<:-)

strikke...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 8:34:33 AM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Mat,
Absolutely recommendable, in fact I do not understand how people do without SideEditor.

Birthe

OOC

Feb 21, 2021, 1:09:34 PM2/21/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Side editor is great!

Two things, how do you change the size and type of font in the editor window. Also I noticed it only creates a side editor on the side editor + icon. Is there a way to get the window with all new tiddlers (ie journal)?

strikke...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 1:32:37 PM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Use the > button in viewtoolbar, the tiddler opens in sideeditor.

Birthe

Mat

Feb 21, 2021, 1:58:22 PM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Side editor is great!

Two things, how do you change the size and type of font in the editor window.

$:/Controlpanel > Appearance > Theme tweaks ... Font size

...which is how (I believe) you chane the font also in the standard editor. BUT it does change the font everywhere. If you have a specific size you only want for the SideEditor, you could hack it a little and add your own stylesheet with:

title: mystylesheet
tags: $:/tags/Stylesheet
type: text/css
text: .se-editor { font-size:20px; }

This will work also if there's an update to the plugin and you update it.

Also I noticed it only creates a side editor on the side editor + icon. Is there a way to get the window with all new tiddlers (ie journal)?

Haven't considered that as a separate feature actually.
You could proably copy the special + button ( $:/plugins/TWaddle/SideEditor/new-btn ) and tweak it for a journal tiddler. Again, this is also likely to continue to work if there's an update to the plugin.
Otherwise it is as Birthe suggests; create a journal tiddler like you always do and open the sideeditor from the > icon in that tiddler.

<:-)

strikke...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 2:14:40 PM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Mat,
You might explain that in the readme for the plugin if/when upgrading.
I liked having the font a little bigger, thanks.

Birthe

Mat

Feb 21, 2021, 5:36:03 PM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Mat,
You might explain that in the readme for the plugin if/when upgrading.
I liked having the font a little bigger, thanks.

So, I guess I should add some setting for the font-size then (help remind me... should be around year 2030). Instructing how to do it with a stylesheet was just a workaround to avoid hacking it. But isn't the font size in the SideEditor the same size as the normal editor? (How do people solve it there?)

But Birthe, you just need to ask. You know I'd do anything for you ;-)

<:-)

strikke...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 6:32:10 PM2/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Mat,
The stylesheet is more than enough.
I think it is the same size font in SideEditor - but somehow it looks smaller, i think the line height is smaller. ....It might just be a feeling.
I have not changed the font in the normal editor.
I am using Ctrl + rather often when I am tired to find my TW mistakes. Better that than the eyes popping out LOL

Birthe

OOC

Feb 21, 2021, 7:40:02 PM2/21/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The controlling what is visible in edit mode does not work. I have the down icon but no menu appears. Anyone else?

OOC

Feb 21, 2021, 8:01:32 PM2/21/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes I did import both tiddlers. I also have side edit plugin, projectify and notywritey

OOC

Feb 23, 2021, 7:17:36 PM2/23/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
David Gifford,

I tried your customize the edit mode, and I can't get the drop down menu to work. I hit the button and nothing shows up. Any advice?

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:49 PM David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org> wrote:

David Gifford

Feb 24, 2021, 9:11:44 AM2/24/21
to TiddlyWiki
There is nothing wrong with my tiddler, I just dragged it to tiddlywiki.com and it works fine. So you may have made some prior changes to your file that interferes?

The dropdown itself is tagged " $:/tags/EditToolbar" - if you have disabled the toolbar, you also disable this dropdown.

The checkboxes toggle the tag "$:/tag/EditTemplate" on and off in the standard edittemplate shadow tiddlers. The open/close sidebar is the same one that appears in the top right corner of your screen. The text editor height is straight out of the editor toolbar. And the Open custom area is just a link to the tiddler.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

You could also try my new CleanEdit, which is a tab for the sidebar that has controls to toggle everything. https://giffmex.org/experiments/cleantids.html