Today TiddlyWiki is 15 years old

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 20, 2019, 2:31:17 PM9/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I posted this as a reply to a message of Pit's that was buried in a longer thread over on the dev group, so I'm reposting here for wider exposure.

Honoured All,

if I am not mistaken, today five years ago, on Sep.20th 2014 at 17:00 hrs

        Tiddlywiki 5.1.0

was released.

I hope that Mr. Ruston has a good bottle of wine available to celebrate.

Pit.W

Thanks Pit! In fact, it goes further, the reason I chose that date was because it was the 10th anniversary of the publication of the original TiddlyWiki on September 20th 2004. So today is actually the 15th anniversary of TiddlyWiki.

On the 22nd of September 2004, I gave a brief talk about TiddlyWiki which was its first public outing. (See below for photos). To be fair, it was probably overshadowed for most people by James Larsson's extraordinarily hilarious prawn sandwich based clock.

Then Jeremy Ruston presented the wonderful TiddlyWiki and gave a very useful breakdown of how wikis work, and how tiny bits of microcontent (tiddlers) can help to merge the facility of blogs to organise and produce microcontent with the non-linear and collaborative way that wikis structure things. Rory Macbeth who continually apologised for not knowing about or being able to do anything with computers (which is not true - I know Rory and he has magic computer fingers that can destroy hardware, corrupt files and crash otherwise stable software for no reason within seconds of him sitting down to check his email) said that he understood TiddlyWiki and would consider using it.

Within a couple of days TiddlyWiki got picked up by users of a site called del.icio.us, and thence by popular bloggers Jason Kottke, Gina Trapani and Ev Williams (who later went on to found Twitter). And so all this started, to my continued astonishment and delight.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

coda coder

Sep 20, 2019, 2:53:00 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Joyous... and many happy returns to you both.

Thomas Elmiger

Sep 20, 2019, 3:00:40 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Cheers, Mr. Ruston, to your remarkable piece of software that will find its place in history 🍷

All the best,
Thomas

Mohammad

Sep 20, 2019, 3:04:06 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Congratulation!

And thank you for providing the community with amazing Tiddlywiki!

--Mohammad

Mat

Sep 20, 2019, 5:30:37 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
HOORAYYYY!  Happy B-day TW!

Who woulda thunk this piece of software would have such an impact on so many people.

Thank you Jeremy and the wonderful community!

<:-)

David Gifford

Sep 20, 2019, 6:26:50 PM9/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Happy birthday TiddlyWiki!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

HansWobbe

Sep 21, 2019, 8:13:13 AM9/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
:-) = smiling at the many memories along this path.

Congratulations, indeed!

~Hans

TonyM

Sep 21, 2019, 9:04:32 AM9/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Happy birthday tiddlywiki and congratulations to its father.

I recall using TWC for years then the jump to tw5 such that although I know its not true it feels its always being there.

I am confident its being in my life for more than a decade yet the truth is I feel I have only scratched the surface of its possibilities.

Long live tiddlywiki and all those who sail in her!

Tony

Dave

Sep 21, 2019, 1:00:33 PM9/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Happy birthday!!!

One day tiddlywiki (just like the Linux desktop) will rule the world! (Only half in jest ;)

Birthe C

Sep 21, 2019, 1:35:14 PM9/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Birthdays are happy and nice. Happy birthday!

The best part is, that tiddlywiki is still young, I recall TW5 declared tiddlywiki for the next 25 years. I sure hope so.
In reality Tiddlywiki is celebrated everyday. Bringing more joy, things to test and use.

Thank you to Jeremy Ruston for each and every day with Tiddlywiki.
Thank you to all the kind and helpful people in this group.

Birthe

Ton Gerner

Sep 21, 2019, 2:09:20 PM9/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Happy birthday TW and many thanks to Jeremy.

Finding TiddlyWiki in 2007 was a big surprise. Since then I am using it daily.

Ton

Julio Peña

Sep 21, 2019, 9:00:48 PM9/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
[My last response was deleted...bummer...fortunately I remember what I wrote...and here we go :) ]

Yessserrrie,

Happy Birthday Tiddlywiki! Wishing you Jeremy many blessings and much longevity to your creation!

Come to think of it Tiddlywiki has had a positive impact in my life and mental outlook.

Best regards all,

Julio

Watt

Sep 22, 2019, 8:55:26 AM9/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Happy Birthday TW! Thanks Jeremy, it's used here every day!

Stephan Hradek

Sep 23, 2019, 3:49:03 AM9/23/19
to TiddlyWiki
Congratulations to all involved…