Optional restore-button for the browserstorage-plugin?

Jan

Apr 15, 2020, 4:19:07 AM4/15/20
to Tiddlywiki
Hi Community.
I am a little anxious about using the Browserstorage-Plugin, because I
fear this could end up in version-conflicts, when I edit my webbased TW
on different computers. Is this precaution superfluous?
I would really love to have an optional restore-button for users who
accidentally clicked the back button in the Browser or forgot to upload
thes changes - which is the cause of most of the criticism when I try to
get my pupils to work with TW.

My proposition for the functionality would be the following:
-The plugin starts to work when you enter a username,
- when you enter the Username you may choose between continuing the last
session or starting for the downloaded Version.

I think this could cure some of the issues described in the specs...

Best wishes Jan

TonyM

Apr 16, 2020, 6:18:19 AM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jan

I don't Actualy understand your perceived problem. The local storage saves and retains the updates in the browser and if you return to the same address it will be there although some cases of possible loss. To combat this I thought of a export button that exports changes as a backup, where most users can't save to the original file only a backup.

If you try and leave a site even if local storage is up To date it will warn its not saved.

So I think its operation my be different to what you think. I have researched this a lot so when its clearer happy to discuss further.

Regards
Tony

Jan

Apr 16, 2020, 4:06:09 PM4/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,
thanks for engaging in the discussion.
I do not need the browserstorage - but other users of my wikis (my
students) would need it.
I do not need it because my edits are saved on the server. And I always
want to work with the newest version on the server. And I do not want
deleted and renamed tiddlers to come to life again.
My students sometimes are buffled, that the changes they made are not
saved and it is unpleasant to tell them, that they are lost unless they
posted them to me.
So I need a construction that prevents this ... without interfering into
my editing.

Best wishes Jan

Jed Carty

Apr 16, 2020, 4:35:02 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
I don't know the details of your setup, but we could make a saver that sends the students edits to you as the save method. They could have local storage for short term unreliable storage and the more persistent save would be having them sent to the server in some form you could check on. The specifics depend on what type of server backend you are using, but if that setup would be.useful I could look into how easy it would be to make.

Jan

Apr 18, 2020, 10:55:24 AM4/18/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jed, thanks for your answer.
I have a php-backend and I already have built a mechanism to upload
tiddlers to the server which I posted to this group some time ago.
A tiddler altered by the modifier gets an upload-button. But I think I
would drown in unimportant uploads if this was the normal saving
behaviour ... so that it would be hard to filter what is important.
I would like that the users upload when they think it is really ready
and till then reduce the risk of loss through the browserstorage-plugin.
I think browserstorage is not the ultimate solution but it can be a good
short-term-backup.

best wishes Jan
Jan Johannpeter