Any Ideas on how to Remove Advanced Search from TiddlyWiki?

Finn Lancaster

Jan 19, 2021, 8:44:19 PM1/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all!
I have recently been working on a collaborative tiddlyWiki on my website at wiki.finnsoftware.net. I would like to make it so that users cannot delete any pages, and have removed most every way that this is possible. For any wily users, however, they would just end up using advanced search to find the hidden Delete References, so I would like to get rid of Advanced Search. Any Ideas?

Mark S.

Jan 19, 2021, 10:41:56 PM1/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
You could open up $:/AdvancedSearch for editing, delete the contents and save.

Hopefully your users won't figure out that the counter-intuitive way to restore the advanced search is to delete it.

TW Tones

Jan 19, 2021, 11:59:16 PM1/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
To add to Marks Suggestion, you can remove the  tag  $:/tags/PageControl  from $:/core/ui/Buttons/advanced-search  to remove it from the PageControls Menu
and edit  $:/core/ui/SideBarSegments/search and remove the following to remove it from the sidebar

<$button to="$:/AdvancedSearch" tooltip={{$:/language/Buttons/AdvancedSearch/Hint}} aria-label={{$:/language/Buttons/AdvancedSearch/Caption}} class="tc-btn-invisible">
{{$:/core/images/advanced-search-button}}
</$button>

Someone in the know may be able to find $:/AdvancedSearch but it would defeat many attempts, at least casual attempts.

Regards
Tones

TW Tones

Jan 20, 2021, 12:00:40 AM1/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
Also you could use Mohamad's trash plugin and remove its sidebar component, then they would have to restore the trash view and restore a tiddler.

Tones

Finn Lancaster

Jan 20, 2021, 10:57:19 AM1/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
The ideas so far have been great! I have implemented many of them. Also, I was wondering if @TW Tones could elaborate on the remove the sidebar component of his idea. I have installed the proper plugin already.

TW Tones

Jan 20, 2021, 5:39:49 PM1/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

@TW Tones could elaborate on the remove the sidebar component of his idea.

Sure,  If you install Mohammad's trashbin then open the tiddler $:/plugins/kookma/trashbin/sidebar-tab  edit and remove the $:/tags/SideBar tag.

You can always reopen $:/plugins/kookma/trashbin/sidebar-tab via advanced search.

When deleting use the trash bin icon and tiddlers move into the trashbin (A JSON file) and as a result do not appear in searches (typically).

Regards
Tones

Finn Lancaster

Jan 20, 2021, 7:11:32 PM1/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
Great! It seems to work perfectly! Thanks for helping and sharing your extensive knowledge!

ludwa6

Jan 21, 2021, 12:09:44 PM1/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Sounds like an interesting project, @flanc... So i visited the site, added a comment (seemed to work fine; nice!), made a slight edit on a tiddler, pushed save... And the edit didn't stick, it just downloaded the .html file, as would be the case with any TW5 file hosted on any server.  Is that how this is intended to work, i wonder?

Finn Lancaster

Jan 21, 2021, 12:35:31 PM1/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
@ludwa6, the site is still under construction. What you saw is the most recent of my bugs. The issue occurs because the Github save config is only saved on my PC. I have slightly modified the file since then with a localStorage change, but Github security policies keep revoking my PAT since it is hard-coded in the file. If this were not to happen, it would work perfectly

Finn Lancaster

Jan 21, 2021, 1:20:44 PM1/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Update: I have fixed Github Bug by pulling a "hacky trick" to their search algorithm that detects PAT in file. Hopefully they don't realize their issue in the code anytime soon and fix it:) Unfortunately, when bypassing their code, the html wiki file was reset, so it'll take about another day until the content's all back up

ludwa6

Jan 22, 2021, 10:50:22 AM1/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Cool, @flanc... It works!  Made a slight edit on the "Web Projects" tiddler, clicked save, and the change persists (tho server threw and error msg about it).
Saving a comment didn't work tho, AFAICT.
If this eventually hardens into a production-ready solution, i'd be interested to know about it!

/walt

Finn Lancaster

Jan 22, 2021, 11:42:38 AM1/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yep, @ludwa6, much of the saving is a bit buggy, including the comments. After your post, I checked in on it, it looks like if you save and then refresh, the changes disappear sometimes. If you redo the changes though, and then save and refresh, they're there. Thanks for contributing on my wiki, BTW, I've pulled a few all-nighters trying to make it into what it is now:)