[TW5] Search lag

Jon

Oct 9, 2016, 3:44:02 PM10/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

I use OneNote at work and find the search facility to be instantaneous i.e. results appear as you type.

At home, I'm using a reasonably quick laptop but when using the search box (and also editing) I find there is always a lag with TW and wondered whether it was technically possible for it to be as fast as OneNote?

Jon

Mark S.

Oct 9, 2016, 4:37:37 PM10/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
How big is your TW? There is no real indexing in TW, so the larger the file, the slower it's going to be.

On a desktop computer, searches in  my 5Mb TW are nearly instantaneous. I also use an older tablet to search Bible (6 Mb) references. The slowness is noticeable, but acceptable.

The main thing  you can do is make sure that the "recent" tab isn't opened. Every key stroke will refresh the entire list, slowing things down. Switch to the "open" tab or some other tab. On mine, I've shortened the recent list, so even if it is open only a handful of entries show.

HTH
Mark

Jon

Oct 9, 2016, 5:15:57 PM10/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

My TW is 9Mb. Search is still slow with the recent tab closed but I'll try it on the desktop at work to see how much of the lag is due to the computer.

Jon

Mark S.

Oct 9, 2016, 7:29:48 PM10/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
10 Mb or so is where I expect to hit the wall, though others are more tolerant or have much more powerful computers.

What do you have in your TW that's racking it up to 10 Mb? If you have images, the best thing to do is to export them to external files in a subdirectory. I look at the TW/directory system as being the complete information system.

HTH
Mark

Jon

Oct 10, 2016, 3:20:03 AM10/10/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

most of the images are in an external directory - it must be the lack of indexing that's the issue (and presumably OneNote has that)

Jon

Josiah

Oct 10, 2016, 3:58:27 AM10/10/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jon

Its worth mentioning some factors involved ...
  • as you mention, power of computer
  • size of file (but see below)
  • the browser you are using and its configuration

FYI over time there have been several tests of "capacity" of TW and its performance is not as simple as a function of file size alone.

In my own case I use one browser instance for TiddlyWiki and searches are faster than my other Firefox with dozens of open tabs.

best wishes

Josiah

Tobias Beer

Oct 10, 2016, 12:53:10 PM10/10/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jon,

Afaik, there is a "refresh" delay for each keypress only after which TiddlyWiki goes to fetch results.

If there isn't such a delay, then this needs to be implemented immediately.

There's this ticket, but I'm almost certain it is more or less unresolved:

refresh delay for text input fields
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1494

Anyway, are you slow typing your search keywords,
or rather: are you able to type fast enough w/o TiddlyWiki
busily hasting into a search for "a"?

I find it an impossibility that TiddlyWiki would do a search on a single letter,
For me, there needs to be an ability to say:
no search for less than x letters.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 10, 2016, 1:29:45 PM10/10/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias

Afaik, there is a "refresh" delay for each keypress only after which TiddlyWiki goes to fetch results.

The refresh delay only applies to modifications made to draft tiddlers, and so it doesn’t apply when typing in the search field.

If there isn't such a delay, then this needs to be implemented immediately.

There’s no restriction on the number of characters typed before a search is triggered.  I agree it would be a worthwhile enhancement.

There's this ticket, but I'm almost certain it is more or less unresolved:

Not exactly unresolved! There’s a specific proposal in the ticket, and I’ve repeatedly pointed out why I don’t believe that the proposal is viable.

Best wishes

Jeremy

refresh delay for text input fields
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1494

Anyway, are you slow typing your search keywords,
or rather: are you able to type fast enough w/o TiddlyWiki
busily hasting into a search for "a"?

I find it an impossibility that TiddlyWiki would do a search on a single letter,
For me, there needs to be an ability to say:
no search for less than x letters.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Jon

Oct 11, 2016, 3:00:36 AM10/11/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the replies - yes, I've definitely found that closing other browser tabs makes a big difference, so as suggested, I've got the TW open in a single tab in Firefox whilst Chrome is open for other stuff.

Jon

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 11, 2016, 4:36:52 AM10/11/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I’ve pushed a fix to add a minimum length threshold for the search field:

New minlength operator committed in:

Search length threshold committed in:

I’ve also uploaded a prerelease for you to try:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jon

Oct 11, 2016, 6:20:10 AM10/11/16
to TiddlyWiki
That does seem faster, Jeremy.
Many thanks
Jon

Riz

Oct 11, 2016, 10:02:28 AM10/11/16
to TiddlyWiki
Is there a workaround to perform the search only when pressing the enter key or something.  Also, will there be a similar solution for the slow edit text fields? A work around will do too

Mark S.

Oct 11, 2016, 11:31:35 AM10/11/16
to TiddlyWiki
Will we be able to effectively turn this feature off by putting it something like 100? Especially on a device, with a software keyboard, typing a wrong character becomes overly expensive. I'd much rather check my work and have the search begin after the phrase is right.

Thanks!
Mark

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 11, 2016, 11:50:48 AM10/11/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

Will we be able to effectively turn this feature off by putting it something like 100? Especially on a device, with a software keyboard, typing a wrong character becomes overly expensive. I'd much rather check my work and have the search begin after the phrase is right.

By “turning this feature off” presumably you don’t mean revert to the previous behaviour, but rather you want to trigger the search manually, by pressing enter, or something. The change I have made does not introduce that new behaviour.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 11, 2016, 11:51:59 AM10/11/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Riz

Is there a workaround to perform the search only when pressing the enter key or something.

No, not at present. But there’s nothing to stop anybody building an alternative search implementation that requires “enter” to trigger the search.

Also, will there be a similar solution for the slow edit text fields? A work around will do too

I don’t think there’s a similar solution for slow edit text fields. At least, not one expressed in terms of changing behaviour depending upon the number of characters typed.

Best wishes

Jeremy.