[TW5] The start of an encyclopedia edition

Jed Carty

May 24, 2016, 6:43:52 PM5/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Or something like an encyclopedia edition anyway. I am planning on building on what I made for the medical plants monograph idea. The current very undeveloped version is here.

The idea is to have different entry types with templates to create and view each one, then the GenTags are used to sort and search through them. I don't have a very concrete idea for what a lot of it will be so suggestions are welcome.

And some of this will probably be used for twederation, addressing and giving things labels and so on.

Jed Carty

May 24, 2016, 7:00:18 PM5/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
I say encyclopedia but I will probably use it for a table top gaming reference or character sheet. It will have the same structure either way.

Mark S.

May 24, 2016, 7:36:23 PM5/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jed,

What technique or filter syntax can you use to search a tag-like field for a value? That is, what is the equivalent of [tag[Root]] for a field like "useful_parts" ?

Thanks!
Mark

Jed Carty

May 25, 2016, 3:47:23 AM5/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
You use the listed operator like this:

<$list filter='[[Root]listed[useful_parts]]'>

</$list>

Mark S.

May 25, 2016, 1:05:59 PM5/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jed,

I'm trying to understand now why that works. The syntax doesn't make sense to me. To me, it seems like it should just return "Root" if the term "Root" happened to be in the field "useful_parts".

Thanks,
Mark

iain

May 25, 2016, 8:08:07 PM5/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Jed, this looks really promising not only as an encyclopedia but as a dictionary or similar reference work. I started a dictionary of maritime terms a few months ago in TW Classic but this looks more useful.

Do you need a search tiddler to make it easier or more obvious how to.

Do you have instructions on how to customize the entry template?

Cheers

Iain

Mat

May 26, 2016, 4:05:24 AM5/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:
I'm trying to understand now why that works. The syntax doesn't make sense to me.

@Mark - I agree the syntax is tricky for this operator. I think it can be read as:

[[Root]listed[useful_parts]] =

[[<string>]listed[<fieldtitle>]] =

(In which tiddlers is the...) <string> listedInTheField <fieldtitle>

For multiple strings, one must separate out the listed operator

[[string1]] [[string2]] +[listed[<fieldtitle>]]

If the strings (i.e field values, i.e the GenTags) don't have space characters in them, it could simply be

string1 string2 +[listed[<fieldtitle>]]

...but, these are just my conclusions and I'm not good at this.

<:-)

Mat

May 26, 2016, 4:14:13 AM5/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
@Jed - what do you actually mean with an Encyclopedia edition? How would it differ from just regular TW... other than that I suspect it will feature GenTags ;-)

<:-)

Jed Carty

May 26, 2016, 7:30:37 AM5/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Calling it an Encyclopedia is partly me being sneaky and trying to create editions that are simpler than the resume edition. People seem to be more willing to start using something called an edition than a bare tiddlywiki with a plugin that does the same thing.
Other than that I want to create templates that would be useful for encyclopedia-type articles, which I am probably going to actually use as a way to organize my notes for table top gaming.

Somewhere in there I want to make a template builder that will let you define entry types and order them so that you don't need to understand wikitext or anything to make new templates. I made something like that for the last job I did but I don't think that anyone actually understood what it was.

Hans Maulwurf

Jun 13, 2016, 5:10:29 AM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Does this only work with the prerelease 5.1.12? Somehow it doesn't work with 5.1.11 on my machine, but maybe it was my mistake.

iain

Jun 13, 2016, 6:03:06 AM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Looking at this draft I was wondering whether when you open it what is needed is a page that has some welcoming text about that it is and links to pages that allow you to either - Add an entry; Edit an entry or Lookup an entry as well the getting started page? These seem to be the basic functions of this TW.

Assuming Jed has other things to do - how would you set up a page like that?

Iain

Jed Carty

Jun 13, 2016, 7:21:48 AM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hans,

It should work on 5.1.11, at the moment it is the GenTags plugin (available here) and the templates. What are you doing to move it to a 5.1.11 wiki?

Iain,

Yes, I am working on twederation things at the moment. To change what appears when you open the wiki you would list what you want to be open in the DefaultTiddlers field of the getting started tiddler. So you would put something like

[[Welcome]]
[[Add/Edit Encyclopedia Entry]]

in the field to have the existing add/edit tool open when you open the wiki. That all that I have made so far is the add/edit tool so you would have to create the others and list them there.
While I am probably not going to spend much time working on this any time soon please feel free to add whatever you want and if you have questions I may not be able to give perfect answers but I will be checking the group regularly.